PDA

View Full Version : Sony Bravia and HDR

jyron
12-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I am streaming an UHD HDR file to my Sony (x900F 2018 Model) using the Mezzmo app and was wondering if Mezzmo is able to actually send an HDR signal?

Normally when I watch something in HDR (eg. from Netflix, Stan, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Google Play, YouTube) it lists it as HDR under display and automatically adjusts the picture preset. But when I streamed this file, it wasn't triggering as HDR.

Is this because Mezzmo can't send an HDR video, or is it just a case of the TV not recognizing it for some reason? (This used to be a problem with Google Play/YouTube files a while ago until they fixed it).

I tried playing the file back through the inbuilt Video app, MX Player and VLC and it was the same each time.

Peter
12-09-2019, 10:16 AM
It may be a special signal that the app needs to send to the TV for particular video files, currently the Mezzmo app does not send any specific signal to the TV that would trigger this.

jyron
12-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Thanks Peter,

so basically it is still an HDR image I'm receiving?

Peter
12-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Depending upon the resolution of the original video file and also the maximum video resolution of the profile it may still be an HDR image you are receiving.

jyron
12-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Mezzmo automatically set my TV as Sony Bravia (2015 model) - would it work with that profile?

I tried setting it to Sony Bravia (Android TV) - which I thought was more appropriate - but it didn't seem to work.

Also, is the HDR aspect tied to the UHD resolution? Does the file resolution affect the colour gamut of the image?

Peter
12-09-2019, 02:04 PM
The 2015 profile is an older profile for TVs that did not run Android. The Sony Bravia (Android TV) supports a wider range of formats so is best used with Mezzmo video player or MX player which support these formats. We have not had a chance to test with a Sony TV that supports HDR so we are not clear on how this feature gets enabled but it would be tied to the resolution of the video as high resolution videos would respond better than low resolution.