PDA

View Full Version : Suggested client for viewing Photos?

Gus
02-11-2020, 06:10 AM
Hi All,

I know there is the Mezzmo Android app, but what are others using for viewing photos from Mezzmo server over DLNA/UPnP ?

I'm using Fire TV Stick 4K, so Android. Need something really simple for family etc.

What apps are available that do Photo Viewing over DLNA.

I have also tried Kodi but it doesnt seem to show any photos. I have used latest Mezzmo server and on Kodi profile, accessing over UPnP. I could always use SMB but keen to stay with Mezzmo.

cheers

Gus

jbinkley60
02-11-2020, 07:38 AM
What are the properties of the photos you are trying to view (i.e. file type, resolution) ?

Gus
02-11-2020, 08:03 AM
Hi
Typically jpg, 6000x4000
DSLR photos

Cheers
Gus

jbinkley60
02-11-2020, 09:50 PM
I looked at the Kodi profile and it seems to support a maximum image size of 4096x4096. I don't know if Mezzmo will resize larger images. Peter will need to weigh in here.

Gus
02-11-2020, 09:59 PM
It's a Kodi issue, and has been for a while, i never got UPnP photos working even on smaller images. The file list just wont show (keeps showing a folder name), and that is before the image is loaded so resolution isnt in play at this point. seems i'm not the only one:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kodi+upnp+photos

SMB works as i say, just keen to use DLNA/Mezzmo if poss.

I cant seem to find any decent UPnP/DLNA Photo viewer for Android.

It's no biggy since SMB works for now.
cheers
Gus

jbinkley60
02-12-2020, 12:25 AM
OK thanks. I've never tried pictures with Kodi and Mezzmo. What version of Kodi are you running and which skin ? I may do some testing.

Gus
02-12-2020, 12:52 AM
I am using Kodi 18.5 brand new install, i have tried on PC, Fire TV 4K, Android tablet and iPad. All same experience:

1. Enable UPnP.
2. Goto Pictures, add a source, browse to UPnP server, and then to pictures folder in the library.
3. Save and browse using Kodi\Pictures.
4. After about 2 or 3 sub folder of my pictures library, the tree stops and remains at a folder name. Can go no deeper and see no photos.

On a side note, super super sorry, this is in the wrong Category, i thought i had posted in Mezzmo Server. Maybe a mod can move for me please. Again, sorry.
cheers
Gus

Peter
02-12-2020, 08:55 AM
I looked at the Kodi profile and it seems to support a maximum image size of 4096x4096. I don't know if Mezzmo will resize larger images. Peter will need to weigh in here.

Mezzmo will resize larger images to fit within 4096x4096.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the Mezzmo Android app?

jbinkley60
02-12-2020, 10:17 PM
So I did some testing and created a picture library 6 levels deep with 6kx4k JPEG pictures. Using the native Kodi uPNP browsing the pictures do not show up. However using the Mezzmo Kodi addon it works perfectly. I think it has to do with Kodi adding the pictures to its database with the native client. If you want to use Kodi, I'd suggest leveraging the Mezzmo addon. I use it as my default Kodi client for everything, videos, audio etc. It has a number of enhancements over native Kodi uPNP support or as Peter says for Android use the Mezzmo Android app. I also tested the Mezzmo Android app on an old Google Nexus 7 tablet. It works fine and has the ability to set a time interval for slideshow viewing.

Gus
02-20-2020, 01:22 AM
So I did some testing and created a picture library 6 levels deep with 6kx4k JPEG pictures. Using the native Kodi uPNP browsing the pictures do not show up. However using the Mezzmo Kodi addon it works perfectly. I think it has to do with Kodi adding the pictures to its database with the native client. If you want to use Kodi, I'd suggest leveraging the Mezzmo addon. I use it as my default Kodi client for everything, videos, audio etc. It has a number of enhancements over native Kodi uPNP support or as Peter says for Android use the Mezzmo Android app. I also tested the Mezzmo Android app on an old Google Nexus 7 tablet. It works fine and has the ability to set a time interval for slideshow viewing.

Hi
huge thanks for taking the time, i will look into those points.
Cheers
Gus