PDA

View Full Version : DTS passthrough issue with Samsung Tv

Dillster
05-25-2020, 08:20 AM
Hey team,

Hope you are all keeping safe!

I've been able to upgrade my Sammy HT theatre unit from a c series to the HT-E6750W/XY version.

My main TV is a Sammy UA65F6400 F series

I've found that this TV while is says it handles DTS, it doesn't pass thru the 7.1 to the theatre unit - i believe it downs it to 2ch before sending it to the receiver. It's easier to browse Mezzmo from the TV otherwise the files would play fine on the theatre directly.

Is there a profile change I can make that if the DTS is 7.1 that it transcodes to AC3 so that the theatre gets all the channels? I don't seem to get many DTS files but it would be nice to not lose the channels on the ones I do.

Andrew.

Peter
05-25-2020, 10:52 AM
The Samsung profiles transcode the audio to AC3 by default so if you have transcoding enabled and the profile does not have DTS audio specified the file should be already transcoding to AC3. Which profile are you using?

Dillster
05-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Hey Peter,

The TV is using Samsung F, the theatre Samsung HTS.

I have a test mkv with DTS file that sends audio to each speaker. When watched thru the TV it plays 2 chs only, the remainder are silent. The file seems to be played without being transcoded. When the same file is watched direct on the theatre, all 7 chs are played.

As a test, i pre-transcoded the file to AC3, and all speakers sound off ok

While transcoding is a pain, having the extra channels would be nice.

Peter
05-26-2020, 08:56 AM
You could edit the device profile to set a maximum channels limit to 6 for dts so that Mezzmo will automatically transcode 7.1 to ac3 with 6 channels. Open the Samsung F profile from your device profiles folder (c:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles) and then look for:

<format id="dts">
</format>

Inside the tags add:
<format id="dts">
<channels>1</channels>
<channels>2</channels>
<channels>6</channels>
</format>
Then save the file and restart your Mezzmo media server.

Dillster
05-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Cool, thanks Peter, I'll give that a try.

Question - does the number indicate not to transcode? ie Channels=6 would pass thru, but higher would transcode? I might take out the Channels 6 option as 5.1 isn't passed thru to the theatre either...

Peter
05-27-2020, 09:25 AM
Yes the number indicates what is supported so files that match the video and audio sections exactly are not transcoded. If 6 is the maximum specified then a 7.1 video would be transcoded to 5.1 (6). With the 6 channels value removed you will only get 2 channel stereo audio.