PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problem After Mezzmo System Rebuild

ftanner
09-05-2020, 06:12 PM
So... The PC I have been running Mezzmo on for the last five years up and gave up the ghost.

I bought the parts and built a new system, and restored Mezzmo from the latest backup that I had, but it had to do a little maintenance to catch up.

Here's the issue....

Within the Mezzmo interface on the PC itself, I can see all of the files in the appropriate playlists just fine. However, from any device on the network, including using the web front-end for Mezzmo (both on the local machine that Mezzmo is installed on and from another machine on the network) all of my playlists say zero items.

I am doing maintenance on one of the playlists to see if that does anything, but it's going to take a while.

Any ideas at all?

Thank you.

ftanner
09-06-2020, 02:59 AM
I tried the following to see if it would help. Neither item helped.

* I reset the database and re-restored the backup. Still says zero items in them.
* I created a new folder under Video that was the same as one of the other folder's paths to see what would happen. It gathered all of the appropriate artwork and subtitles, all of which were skipped because they were already in the database. Zero items again. However in the Mezzmo interface, it shows all of the files that I expected to see.

ftanner
09-06-2020, 03:58 AM
So I have the built-in playlists hidden, but kept. I un-hid one for testing purposes. The list of movies shows up in it using the web interface. However, when I try to play any movie in there, it says "File not Found". I followed the path listed for the file in the Mezzmo app, and the file is at the exact path that is listed.

jbinkley60
09-06-2020, 04:24 AM
How did you restore your video files or were they in tact on a separate drive (internal or external ? If they were existing then you might be dealing with a Windows 10 UAC permissions issue. I'd try creating a new folder on your hard dive on your Mezzmo PC. Drop a couple of video files into is and then add the folder to Mezzmo and see if your web interface and clients can see the new folder and play the videos. The other question is did your drive lettering change where your video files are stored ?

ftanner
09-06-2020, 04:48 AM
How did you restore your video files or were they in tact on a separate drive (internal or external ? If they were existing then you might be dealing with a Windows 10 UAC permissions issue. I'd try creating a new folder on your hard dive on your Mezzmo PC. Drop a couple of video files into is and then add the folder to Mezzmo and see if your web interface and clients can see the new folder and play the videos. The other question is did your drive lettering change where your video files are stored ?

They were intact because they were stored on a separate NAS and are using the same paths on the new system. I am using the exact same service account that I was using on the previous system, in fact, I also use the service account to log into the box and can access the files just fine from the mapped drives.

ftanner
09-06-2020, 05:10 AM
To be honest, I'm wondering if it might be more expedient to just nuke the whole database and start over from scratch, including with new folders and playlists. And... If that's the case, what's the purpose of backups...

jbinkley60
09-06-2020, 07:49 AM
Even though you kept the account name and PC name the same it is a new build and I believe Windows 10 UAC will still see it as a different user with different permissions. Here's a link for enabling / disabling (https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-turn-user-account-control-on-or-off-in-windows-10) Windows 10 UAC. I'd try my suggestion first about building a new folder on your new PC and drag a few videos into it. if that works I'd try disabling UAC. This isn't likely a database issue if you are seeing them in the GUI in a folder view (not a playlist view). This sounds more like a permissions issue with the Mezzmo service being able to access the files on the NAS for playback.

ftanner
09-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Even though you kept the account name and PC name the same it is a new build and I believe Windows 10 UAC will still see it as a different user with different permissions. Here's a link for enabling / disabling (https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-turn-user-account-control-on-or-off-in-windows-10) Windows 10 UAC. I'd try my suggestion first about building a new folder on your new PC and drag a few videos into it. if that works I'd try disabling UAC. This isn't likely a database issue if you are seeing them in the GUI in a folder view (not a playlist view). This sounds more like a permissions issue with the Mezzmo service being able to access the files on the NAS for playback.

I know how to enable/disable UAC. I can play those same files, in the same path, outside of Mezzmo using VLC using the service account that Mezzmo is using.

ftanner
09-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Also, as another piece of information, Windows Firewall is disabled on this box.

jbinkley60
09-06-2020, 10:42 PM
I am pretty sure that the Mezzmo GUI runs under your login account whereas the Mezzmo server, if running as a service, runs as a service/system account, which may have different permissions with regards to accessing the files. I know you said VLC is using the service account but you might still try changing the Mezzmo server from running as a service to running as a console app and see if that resolves the issue. I haven't run VLC that way previously and have always used it with my login account but it's been awhile since I've used it much. Peter will likely respond later today with more ideas.

ftanner
09-07-2020, 01:51 AM
I am pretty sure that the Mezzmo GUI runs under your login account whereas the Mezzmo server, if running as a service, runs as a service/system account, which may have different permissions with regards to accessing the files. I know you said VLC is using the service account but you might still try changing the Mezzmo server from running as a service to running as a console app and see if that resolves the issue. I haven't run VLC that way previously and have always used it with my login account but it's been awhile since I've used it much. Peter will likely respond later today with more ideas.

Yes, it does... And I am logged in using the same service account that I have the service running under... Which is the same service account that I can access the shares. To recap.... The service is running under a service account, I am logged in using said service account, said service account as full control on the shares, said service account is a local admin on the system that I have it running on, the Mezzmo app is running under the same service account.

ftanner
09-07-2020, 03:12 AM
Because I forgot to put it in my last post... UAC is also disabled for said service account.

jbinkley60
09-07-2020, 04:19 AM
Ok. I am out of ideas. I run RAID attached storage and not NAS. It still sounds like a file level permissions issue. Peter should be able to help. I checked the Mezzmo Wiki and this link (http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=access_permissions) is what they have for this specific type of issue, which is pretty much what we've been discussing. I don't know if you've tried to take ownership of the videos from the Windows machine.

Good luck,

Jeff

ftanner
09-07-2020, 04:28 AM
Ok. I am out of ideas. I run RAID attached storage and not NAS. It still sounds like a file level permissions issue. Peter should be able to help. I checked the Mezzmo Wiki and this link (http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=access_permissions) is what they have for this specific type of issue, which is pretty much what we've been discussing. I don't know if you've tried to take ownership of the videos from the Windows machine.

Good luck,

Jeff

I would agree, except for the fact that using the same exact account outside of the Mezzmo interface can browse to, and open, the files just fine. It shouldn't need ownership given that the account has Full Control (which is read/write/modify/list/ etc.). In addition, this account was actually used to move most of these files to the NAS. I am running a full AD domain,which this account was created on, the service account I am using is not a new account to the network.

jbinkley60
09-07-2020, 04:41 AM
Ahh, I didn't realize you were running AD. You are right in that case, the account didn't change. Up till now I thought we were dealing with local machine / system accounts. It might be worth trying take ownership option on a small folder in the NAS just to rule it out. It shouldn't make a difference but I've learned never to assume anything with MS AD. :)

Jeff

ftanner
09-07-2020, 08:03 AM
Ahh, I didn't realize you were running AD. You are right in that case, the account didn't change. Up till now I thought we were dealing with local machine / system accounts. It might be worth trying take ownership option on a small folder in the NAS just to rule it out. It shouldn't make a difference but I've learned never to assume anything with MS AD. :)

Jeff

I checked. The account is the owner.

Peter
09-07-2020, 09:07 AM
This is correct, if the server is running as a service you will need to set the service to run under your user account so that it can access files on remote shares otherwise the server gets an access denied response and lists 0 files.

ftanner
09-07-2020, 11:37 AM
This is correct, if the server is running as a service you will need to set the service to run under your user account so that it can access files on remote shares otherwise the server gets an access denied response and lists 0 files.

It's running EXACTLY how it was running on the previous system. The service is running under the account and so is the Mezzmo interface.

Peter
09-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Please also check to make sure credentials have been added for any network shares. You can also try setting the server to run as a Windows console application in 'Media Server Settings' in Mezzmo

ftanner
09-07-2020, 12:19 PM
Please also check to make sure credentials have been added for any network shares. You can also try setting the server to run as a Windows console application in 'Media Server Settings' in Mezzmo

I am using the same account that I used on my previous system. It's an account I specifically created for Mezzmo on my AD domain. Everything worked fine on it. The only difference, literally, is that the previous system was Win7 and this one is Win10.

Running it as a console app seems to work for the web interface, but not to the Mezzmo Android app nor the Mezzmo Roku app.

I click on a selection and it just goes closes the play window and appears to do nothing (it switches to a "buffering" screen about 45 to 60 second later). In addition, it seems to run ALOT slower, even though the new PC that I built has higher specs than the old one. I went from a 5th gen Intel i7 to a 7th gen one with a higher clock speed, and double the RAM. It's only using 17% of the CPU while it is sitting at the "buffering" screen.

The "streaming file" notification in the Mezzmo status pane keeps appearing and disappearing. After the buffering stopped, I get intermittent sound from the TV that I am presuming is from the movie.

ftanner
09-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Ok. I got it working running as a service.... It was a domain\username vs user UPN issue.

I'm still running into the issue with the lagging on the Mezzmo clients, but it also does it on the built-in Roku client too.

Peter
09-07-2020, 01:18 PM
For the Roku it may be transcoding speed, check the transcoding pane to see the fps at which the file is being transcoded. For Mezzmo Android most formats should be supported without transcoding so please check to see if the Conceiva Mezzmo (Android) profile is assigned.

ftanner
09-07-2020, 01:41 PM
For the Roku it may be transcoding speed, check the transcoding pane to see the fps at which the file is being transcoded. For Mezzmo Android most formats should be supported without transcoding so please check to see if the Conceiva Mezzmo (Android) profile is assigned.

For the Rokus, I am using Roku 4k, with transcoding turned off, they're Roku Ultras. The nVidia Shield, I already have the Conceiva Mezzmo (Android) selected with transcoding turned off.

The odd part is that Bubble UPnP, which I use on my tablet seems to work fine with no hiccups.

Peter
09-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Since the files are not transcoded I suspect it may be a Windows network card issue. Try this fix https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-internet-speed-half-of-what-windows-7-is-on-exact-same-hardware.3249068/

ftanner
09-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Since the files are not transcoded I suspect it may be a Windows network card issue. Try this fix https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-10-internet-speed-half-of-what-windows-7-is-on-exact-same-hardware.3249068/

That seems to have solved it...

One last question. All of my folders (from the restore) don't show their folder icon anymore and the wallpapers I had set seem to be gone. What is the best way to resolve that?

ftanner
09-07-2020, 03:43 PM
Looks like it's the file icons too. Just from the restore though.

ftanner
09-07-2020, 03:45 PM
Another thing I've noticed is that the display name for the files has changed. It used to be the file name. Now it's something different.

EDIT:

This is fixed. I remember how I set it before.

Peter
09-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Please check that the database has been restored to the same location as it was previously. Also check in the Artwork folder of the database to make sure the Poster and Backdrop folders contain the images. The path to these images is in the database so if the path has changed or the drive letter is different then Mezzmo will not find the files.

ftanner
09-07-2020, 04:32 PM
Please check that the database has been restored to the same location as it was previously. Also check in the Artwork folder of the database to make sure the Poster and Backdrop folders contain the images. The path to these images is in the database so if the path has changed or the drive letter is different then Mezzmo will not find the files.

Ok. That's what it is. I restored to a different drive because it has more space. So it sounds like I am going to need to do a Maintain Library after unchecking the artwork checkbox. That correct?

ftanner
09-07-2020, 04:41 PM
I'd recommend, as a part of an update, using relative pathing to solve the relocation problem.

Peter
09-07-2020, 04:57 PM
Maintain library won't change the path, you can use the tools tab of Maintain library to change the old path to the new path http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=maintenance_tools

ftanner
09-08-2020, 01:29 AM
Maintain library won't change the path, you can use the tools tab of Maintain library to change the old path to the new path http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=maintenance_tools

The media files are in the same place. Only the database moved. This is going to change the paths that it looks to for the thumbnails and posters? And, as an FYI, the old path is gone, for obvious reasons. Is it still going to change the paths?

jbinkley60
09-08-2020, 03:28 AM
There's a move database feature in Mezzmo which I believe changes the pointer information in the database for the artwork and moves the files but I believe this only works if you have things in the original location and then use the feature to move the database and the artwork. Peter can confirm. I don't think you can run with the database in one location and the artwork in another. I believe Mezzmo expects the artwork to be in a folder called artwork (with subfolders for the various artwork types) relative to the database location. I believe the feature Peter pointed to above is for moving your video files to different paths not artwork. That's how I have always used it.

ftanner
09-08-2020, 04:07 AM
There's a move database feature in Mezzmo which I believe changes the pointer information in the database for the artwork and moves the files but I believe this only works if you have things in the original location and then use the feature to move the database and the artwork. Peter can confirm. I don't think you can run with the database in one location and the artwork in another. I believe Mezzmo expects the artwork to be in a folder called artwork (with subfolders for the various artwork types) relative to the database location. I believe the feature Peter pointed to above is for moving your video files to different paths not artwork. That's how I have always used it.

The original database location is gone. That's why I had to restore from a backup.

jbinkley60
09-08-2020, 05:05 AM
The link Peter gave may work against the artwork pointers in the Mezzmo database. I just looked in the database schema and it's pretty straightforward. I know it works against the audio / video location field in the database. Artwork is just another field.. I've never tried it against artwork but it is simply an SQL update query. Since you have a backup it might be worth a try.

ftanner
09-08-2020, 09:08 AM
The link Peter gave may work against the artwork pointers in the Mezzmo database. I just looked in the database schema and it's pretty straightforward. I know it works against the audio / video location field in the database. Artwork is just another field.. I've never tried it against artwork but it is simply an SQL update query. Since you have a backup it might be worth a try.

Doesn't seem to have worked. So I am starting the process of downloading all of the artwork....

Peter
09-08-2020, 09:37 AM
I checked in the code and the Maintenance tools path change does not modify the path in the poster or backdrop tables. These paths are updated when changing the path of the database when you move it using the options in Mezzmo so if you move the database to the old path by changing the path to the database in options then move it back this should update the path to the posters and backdrops

ftanner
09-08-2020, 09:51 AM
I checked in the code and the Maintenance tools path change does not modify the path in the poster or backdrop tables. These paths are updated when changing the path of the database when you move it using the options in Mezzmo so if you move the database to the old path by changing the path to the database in options then move it back this should update the path to the posters and backdrops

I would have to add a hard drive to create the old path. Seems like it is going to be easier to re-download all of the artwork, which I have already started. I'd recommend making paths relative rather than explicit in a future update to obviate the need for that; especially in the event of a total hardware failure like I had.

jbinkley60
09-08-2020, 10:01 AM
One thing you can do is copy the old images back over top of the newly discovered images, if you like any of the old images better. As long as the file names are the same, which they generally will be, that can help getting you back close to where you were.

Peter
09-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Another way to update the path is to use SQLiteSpy https://www.yunqa.de/delphi/products/sqlitespy/index or another sqlite tool and run a query over the paths to update them.

ftanner
09-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Will a database compact clear out all of the old entries in the database and also remove the old image files?

Peter
09-09-2020, 02:52 PM
A database compact will not remove the old entries. Running maintenance with the option to update all files and update images selected will replace the existing images with new images and also update the paths in the database.

ftanner
09-09-2020, 11:56 PM
A database compact will not remove the old entries. Running maintenance with the option to update all files and update images selected will replace the existing images with new images and also update the paths in the database.

Even though the old images are now orphaned due to "bad pathing"?

Peter
09-10-2020, 09:52 AM
Yes, Mezzmo can only track these files using the path in the database so if the path is not correct in the database Mezzmo has no way of removing orphaned files. Most of the files will be overwritten when new images are downloaded from the internet as the naming of the poster is based upon the source or the media file it is for.

ftanner
10-02-2020, 01:42 AM
Peter.... New question related to this replacement.

So I did the Maintain Library and it seemed to do everything that it needed to do to update the individual files. But folders that weren't explicitly set with images just show a paper with a star in the middle of it image. How do I get those to update with something from the contents of their folders like they were before the system replacement?

Thank you.

Peter
10-02-2020, 09:02 AM
When you browse into the folder either in Mezzmo on the PC or via the server from a device then Mezzmo will updated the folder thumbnail. There is also a background thread that will update the folder thumbnail. Please check in Metadata Retrieval Settings to make sure the option to create artwork based upon the contents of folders/playlists is checked http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=metadata_retrieval_settings&s[]=metadata&s[]=retrieval#create_artwork_based_on_contents_of_fol der_playlist

ftanner
10-02-2020, 11:26 AM
When you browse into the folder either in Mezzmo on the PC or via the server from a device then Mezzmo will updated the folder thumbnail. There is also a background thread that will update the folder thumbnail. Please check in Metadata Retrieval Settings to make sure the option to create artwork based upon the contents of folders/playlists is checked http://www.mezzmo.com/wiki/doku.php?id=metadata_retrieval_settings&s[]=metadata&s[]=retrieval#create_artwork_based_on_contents_of_fol der_playlist

Yep. That was checked when the Maintain Library was ran. It still didn't update the folder icon with the contents of the folder.

Peter
10-02-2020, 01:47 PM
The thumbnail is not updated as part of the Maintain library but as a separate background process which runs all the time at low priority.

ftanner
10-02-2020, 09:54 PM
The thumbnail is not updated as part of the Maintain library but as a separate background process which runs all the time at low priority.

The new system has been running now for about a week and a half or two weeks and none of them are updated. How long is it going to take?

ftanner
10-02-2020, 09:55 PM
I should note that newly created folders are getting updated with thumbnails just fine.

Peter
10-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Not sure why they are not getting updated. You can try deleting the folder but do not select to remove the files from the library then add the folder again to see if the thumbnail is updated.

ftanner
10-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Not sure why they are not getting updated. You can try deleting the folder but do not select to remove the files from the library then add the folder again to see if the thumbnail is updated.

A large percentage of them are sub-folders of folders that I have in Mezzmo. Are you suggesting that I relocate all of my files and delete the entire directory structure and re-create it?

Peter
10-07-2020, 03:52 PM
No, I mean in the Mezzmo library right-click on the folder and select to delete it and this will remove it from the library (make sure not to select to remove files from the library). Then you can add the same folder again. This should force Mezzmo to re-create the folder thumbnails. All of the media files will already exist in the library so they won't be added again, just the folder structure.

ftanner
10-08-2020, 02:20 AM
No, I mean in the Mezzmo library right-click on the folder and select to delete it and this will remove it from the library (make sure not to select to remove files from the library). Then you can add the same folder again. This should force Mezzmo to re-create the folder thumbnails. All of the media files will already exist in the library so they won't be added again, just the folder structure.

Ok. I will give that a shot and let you know what happens.

Thank you.

ftanner
10-16-2020, 04:23 AM

That worked. It's kind of a bummer that I had to go to all of that effort after a restore. It's another reason that relative paths should be used rather than explicit paths.