PDA

View Full Version : Casting from android 12 device to Panasonic Viera tv

deboopi
08-18-2022, 03:41 AM
I'm using the trial version to see if it works.
I'm running on a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
I've got two tv's with a chromecast dongle connected.
Mezzmo see my dongles.
I already tried with VLC and MX Player ad then both can play mp4 files on my tv but I have a problem with the subtitles (they don't show)
I wanted to try mezzmo to see if it ill display my subtitles (in a .srt file) on tv.
When I select an mp4 (I tried some 10 or so) and want to play it I can see the name of the file on tv but then my tv screen turns black.
Even waiting some time doesn't make any difference.
I had a look at the settings but I can't find anything I need to change.
What should I look at to solve my problem?

Peter
08-18-2022, 09:29 AM
It may be that the video codec in the mp4 file is not supported by the chromecast dongle. If the mp4 file contains h265 or other video codec then the chromecast may not support it depending upon the age of the chromecast. VLC and MX Player support almost all video codecs so they will play just about all video files. You could also try browsing Mezzmo from the TV, find the Mezzmo server in the TV sources then browse to an mp4 file and try to play it.

deboopi
08-18-2022, 05:43 PM
It may be that the video codec in the mp4 file is not supported by the chromecast dongle. If the mp4 file contains h265 or other video codec then the chromecast may not support it depending upon the age of the chromecast. VLC and MX Player support almost all video codecs so they will play just about all video files. You could also try browsing Mezzmo from the TV, find the Mezzmo server in the TV sources then browse to an mp4 file and try to play it.

I just had a look at the video codecs, 9 out of ten have a hvec codec and the other one has avc.
So I have to recode them in H264 to be sure?

jbinkley60
08-19-2022, 10:50 AM
I just had a look at the video codecs, 9 out of ten have a hvec codec and the other one has avc.
So I have to recode them in H264 to be sure?

Here's a link (https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media) to the Chromecast supported formats and containers. It looks like HEVC is supported with Chromecast Ultras but not with V1 - V3 dongles.

Jeff

Peter
08-22-2022, 09:15 AM
Thanks Jeff for posting that information.

To try out the streaming you could download a sample mp4 file to your phone then try casting it to the Chromecast to see if it plays.