PDA

View Full Version : high cpu utilization-ffmpeg.exe working non-stop

dejansa
01-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi,
I have recently install Mezzmo and I have almost deside to buy it. Software is great - the best I have tried. I insall it on my powerfull PC - dual core AMD cpu with 4GB Ram. OS is Windows 7. My TV is Sony Bravia 40ex500. Two questions are bother me:
1) high cpu utilization-ffmpeg.exe working almost non-stop even if it don't transcoding anything.
2) Though my TV recognize Mezzmo Media server, another client don't. My laptop Toshiba - Windows XP with WMP11 and even another clinet XBMC don't recognize Mezzmo media Server.
Do you have any idea how to solve my "problems"?
best regards,
Dejan.

Paul
01-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi Dejan,

If you have background transcoding turned on (it's on by default) and you tried to play multiple movies, then we'll continue transcoding in the background - that's one possibility. If you turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then try to play something and send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com we'll know for sure.

Is the connection to your laptop wired or wireless? It's possible that the firewall or antivirus software on the laptop are blocking UPnP communications. Please e-mail support with this and we'll work it out.

dejansa
01-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for quick answer.
1) Now I see that ffmpeg.exe is trancoding in the background.... I have to many no native video files witch have to be transcoded. I have read that those video files have to be transcoded only once - so it's not big deal. Btw, that format of video/audio files do you suggest (not to need to be transcoded)?
2) loptop is on wireless, Media server is on wire. There is no network problem, I'm 100% sure (laptop and server has disable firewall and temporarly disabled Nod32 antivirus). I didn't find any guide how to setup wmp11 to be dlna client and to work with Mezzmo Media Server?!
regards,
Dejan.

Paul
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd suggest encoding your videos to AVCHD (MPEG-TS container, h264 video, AC3 audio), as that's "native" for the Bravia and can be played without re-transcoding.

I don't think that WMP11 on XP can be a DLNA client, it's Vista and newer, in my understanding. It can be a server, but not a client. Although I'd be happy to be proven wrong by somebody who tried this ;)

dejansa
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Dennis,
So what software for Windows XP can be dlna client work fine with Mezzmo Media Server?
Dejan.

Paul
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Frankly not sure about DLNA clients for XP, but maybe XBMC will work?

dejansa
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Denis,
do you have any guide how to setup windows 7/server side anf windows xp/client side... I'm trying to meke it work for hours but...

Paul
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Are you running Mezzmo on Windows 7 as a server? Did you install XBMC on XP?

dejansa
01-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, Mezzmo runs on Windows 7, XBMC is installed in windows XP. What do you "mean as a server"?

Paul
01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Mezzmo also has a Network pane that will list other servers and acts as a sort of a DLNA client, allowing you to aggregate files from other servers and stream them through Mezzmo to other players/devices.

Does the XBMC see any DLNA servers? For example, does it see WMP from Windows 7 (if media sharing is enabled on your Windows 7)?

dejansa
01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
No, my Mezzmo work only as DLNA Server....
XBMC don't see any Media Server at all. From my WMP12 on Windows7, I see DLNA_SERVER - Mezzmo. But I can't see it from my laptop (Windows xp, XBMC)....
regards.

Paul
01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I have a feeling that you cannot use any DLNA clients on XP - you might want to Google if people were successful at achieving that. If somebody managed to run a DLNA client on XP, then we can look into this, but if XP doesn't support this on a system level, then there's nothing we can do.

dejansa
01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Thank you Dennis very much,
Let me ask you one more question. Right now (1.30 AM), when Mezzmo don't work for hours process MezzmoMediaServer.exe utilizing cpu for 50%. Is it normal? What does it work??
Almost every morning, before going to work, I have to restart (stop, start) Mezzmo becouse it is not responding. When I touch mouse or keyboard, I see that my PC is not in sleeping mode.... What's going on?
Regards.

dejansa
01-12-2011, 12:05 PM
here is attachment.... I beleve activity can be seen in log file...

Paul
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Can you please zip up all files in log folders and send them to support (at) conceiva (dot) com so that we'd have the full picture? It's possible that you have some background transcoding going on, for example, if you watched some movies previously and they didn't finish transcoding.

FrankVincent
01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I have tested XBMC Windows as a DLNA client (renderer + control?) on 2 PC's running XP Professional sp3 and it works fine.
Homepage for download is http://xbmc.org
The only problem I came across was that I had to turn off visualization when playing Audio otherwise the program crashed.
Honestly I have not used it much, because when playing Audio or Video on Windows, I usually map a network share on the non-attended Windows PC where I store the media files and play the files using foobar2000 or VLC. On that PC I run Messmo Server as well.

Finally I must express that Mezzmo is a great DLNA server that works out of the box!
I have spent too many hours trying to tweak TVersity and PS3 Media Server without acheiving a good result.