PDA

View Full Version : mezzmo will not start the "start media"

cnovru
01-13-2011, 06:29 AM
When i start my home server which is running windows homeserver 2003, i get an error message that mezzmo has encountered a problem and must close. After os is up and running i open mezzmo and noticed it is not running. I try to manually start the media server and it will not start. Uninstalled the program and reinstalled with the same results. I have been using Mezzmo for a while with no problems and then this started happening. Miss my media streamer on my sony bravia tv. Any help would be most welcome.

Paul
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Can you please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then try to start the server and once it fails send us the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com

cnovru
01-15-2011, 03:21 AM
Turns out the if you have Hamachi installed it will disable your meezmo media server so it will not be able to connect to your network. I uninstalled Hamachi and the media server started right up. Turns out that somehow Hamachi blocks port 1900 from being accessible thus rendering the media server nonoperational. Just thought i would pass this along in case someone else runs into the same problem. Thanks again to Dennis and Adric for their quick responses and great tech support.

badbob001
03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I too just found out Mezzmo doesn't like Hamachi and there isn't a way to tell Mezzmo to ignore the Hamachi interface. I want to use Hamachi so my workaround is to disable hamachi before starting the mezzmo service and then enable it afterwards.

I have a script to handle all that and scheduled that to run at computer start. Here's the script (start_mezzmo.cmd):

netsh interface set interface "hamachi" DISABLED
set stop mezzmo
call:sleep 5
net start mezzmo
call:sleep 20
netsh interface set interface "hamachi" ENABLE
goto:EOF

:sleep
set/a sleeptime=%1+1
ping -n %sleeptime% 127.0.0.1 >nul
goto:EOF

I've added the extra 'set stop mezzmo' so this same script can be used to restart the mezzmo service.

Now if Library Maintenance needs to stop and start the mezzmo service, then my workaround breaks.

Paul
03-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for sharing your script.

This is quite a common issue for all DLNA servers like Mezzmo. Hamachi (for some reason) uses port 1900. However, port 1900 is required by the UPnP standard for broadcasting and, without access to it, DLNA servers cannot broadcast and be seen by DLNA devices on your home network.

So if you have Hamachi installed on your computer, you should disable it or uninstall it if you wish to stream media using DLNA servers like Mezzmo.

badbob001
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the mention of upnp. In hamachi, there is a setting called 'Disable UPNP'. Setting it to YES seems to allow it to co-exist with Mezzmo. But lets see what happens tomorrow...

Please consider putting options to select the network interfaces that Mezzmo binds to. For vpn-type connections like Hamachi or my work VPN, I wouldn't want my dlna traffic to go over those interfaces.

Paul
03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for this feedback. Please do update us later on so we all know if "Disable UPnP" in Hamachi works. It may allow both Hamachi and DLNA servers like Mezzmo to work alongside each other.

badbob001
03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
After maintenance or a reboot, both hamachi and mezzmo are still working. So Disabling UPnP in hamachi is the way to go.

Paul
03-16-2011, 08:32 AM
After maintenance or a reboot, both hamachi and mezzmo are still working. So Disabling UPnP in hamachi is the way to go.

Thanks for the confirmation. We will inform Mezzmo users of this solution if they are also having the same problem.

kitsunegari
06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Could this be part of the reason my Mezzmo server always crashes on startup? I don't have the problem with starting the MezzmoMediaServer.exe over RDP, but Mezzmo does still crash, without fail, on startup (reinstalled a few times).

Paul
06-16-2011, 08:43 AM
It's hard to say for sure. Can you please send in logs of such a crash so that we could see if there's anything coming up in the logs that would give us a clue?

kitsunegari
06-20-2011, 07:53 PM
I sent a couple of sets of logs a while back but got no reply.

It's no hardship, I've scripted an auto restart of the relative mezzmo services after bootup which has cured the problem for me :).

Paul
06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Strange, someone should have replied to you. Can you please PM me your e-mail or your support case number and I'll check up on this.