View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy: No contents in AllShare application

01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I successfully installed Mezzmo on Windows Server 2008 and added all my video, music and photo archives to the library. I added the Samsung Galaxy to the media devices listing and can see the Samsung Galaxy on the Network tab.

In the Samsung AllShare application, Mezzmo shows up on the server list, but no contents of any type are displayed on the main interface.

Logging is enabled; no log files for the media server have been generated as of yet.

Windows Server 2008 is on a domain with Mezzmo permissions assigned to a user (non-administrator) account with appropriate network and file system permissions. Network access for the Samsung Galaxy is via WiFi.

Please note that I can use other 3rd party utilities to view files on the server while using the Galaxy.

01-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Logs should be generated if you restarted Mezzmo server after enabling logging. Please restart the server, then browse to a folder with files on the phone and after that stop the server and send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com - we'll investigate.

01-13-2011, 09:34 PM
I restarted the Mezzmo media server and attempted to view files on the phone. No folders show on the phone's AllShare Application, only the following category tabs: Videos/Pictures/Audio. The area under the tabs universally shows an Icon with "No Items" below it.

After unsuccessfully attempting to view files/directories using the phone's AllShare Application, I stopped the Mezzmo media server.

The preceding procedure was executed on 1/13/2011 at 9:15PM, +10GMT. No logs were generated at that time. I have sent the installation log for your reference nonetheless.

Screen shots of relevant settings and directories:




Ronald Gliot
01-14-2011, 05:54 AM
***note- I had AllShare running concurrently with Mezzmo and believe it as actually causing me some issues. I removed it and found you can run Mezzmo exlusively with no visable issues. As I found Allshare to be mediocre at best I evaluated Serviio, Mezzmo and AllShare, because in my case I am using Mezzmo mostly for my music database, and found Mezzmo had the most robust interface and sorting capability. It appears to be worht the extra money to buy the release. I now simply have a Mezzmo server crashing issue, but the support team appears to have accepted the issue and correct. The bottom line is that if you don't need it, it appears Allshare can be removed entirely.

01-14-2011, 09:10 AM
From the screenshots it appears that you did enable logging, but you haven't restarted the server (using the stop/start server button on the toolbar). You need to do that so that log files (.txt) appear in the MezzmoMediaServer.exe folder.

01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
FWIW, please note that server was restarted as noted in post #3.

Email replies sent to Adric; as per his request, I deleted logs and db files and reindexed. Same issue, including lack of logs in the MezzmoMediaServer.exe directory; Mezzmo server restarted numerous times..

04-30-2011, 06:20 PM
I'd like to chime in here.

I had Mezzmo working perfectly with Allshare on my recently acquired Galaxy S for about 2 weeks. Then I found it got flakey. Sometimes the link would quit and when I re-started Allshare, it would see the Mezzmo server but would not list any files (just as reported above). Then it got worse and currently I cannot get Allshare to list any files at all.

My Sony Bravia has zero problems and Allshare was working okay for a while so I don't think this is a Mezzmo issue.