View Full Version : [BUG] Limit the rate of download does not work correctly

10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
If you check with programs like DU Meter or NetMeter, you will see that the rate is not limited correctly.

10-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I have taken a look at net meter and tried downloading with DownloadStudio restricted to 50 KB/S.

By default Net Meter displays Kilobits per second (Kbps), you need to change Net Meter to display Kilobytes per second (KB/s) in the net meter options dialog. It is also useful to turn on the 'average download line' in the Net Meter options.

Also, obviously, ensure nothing else is using the network connection before starting the test.

The results show that you are right in that Net Meter shows that DownloadStudio for brief periods of time does use more than the 50 KB/s limit I set it to use, however this is only for a brief period, then DownloadStudio will drop the amount of bandwidth for a brief period to compensate. However the average download speed will be limited to the 50k. I attached a graph from Net Meter to show this.

We will do some more testing to see if we can improve this in a future version.

10-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Why this happens?
Look the screenshot.
I'm using XP SP3 with RASPPPOE protocol.

10-27-2008, 09:09 AM
It appears the 'limit bandwidth to' option is not very accurate when using very low values, such as 5 kb/s. We will take a look at this issue and hopefully include a fix in a future update.

04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Windows 2000 SP4

No problem until 5.1.1, but now "Limit band-width to" setting seems to be completely ignored. Changing the value either on the Download Files view or from Tools > Options does not effect the download bandwidth at all. (Always the same speed.)

I have tested by downloading 500+MB file with using a straight forward HTTP1.1 on apache 2.0x server within the same subnet. Download studio is run on a Power User account.

It is actually very useful function, so please investigate it asap. Thanks.

04-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the bug report.

I just tested it on a Windows 2000 machine and a Windows XP machine, and found that bandwidth limiting is working in the current version (v5.1.2.0). As Brent mentioned in an earlier reply to a user, its not as accurate as we'd like and we'll improve that in an upcoming version. But it is working for us here.

As a test, turn off the limit bandwidth checkbox on the Job Queue tab in Download Files mode in DownloadStudio. Start downloading your 500MB file. Observe the speed and the bandwidth graph. Now turn on the limit bandwidth checkbox and set the limit value to (say) 80 KB/sec (you can change it dynamically to any value whilst downloading is taking place). You should see some immediate throttling of your 500MB download. If not, please email us before and after screenshots to support [at] conceiva.com and we'll check it out further for you.

Best regards,