PDA

View Full Version : Device settings - locked to MAC or IP address?

Jan
01-26-2011, 06:46 AM
When doing settings to a specific device in 'Device Setting', are these settings locked to the specific IP-address or to the MAC-address for the device?

In the dialog box, it seems that the settings are related a specific IP address. If this is the case, I would recommend a change to the software - since a device can get different IP-addresses from time to time.

Paul
01-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Yes, they're IP-based at the moment, but we do plan to change that to MACs in a future version. Thanks for the suggestion!

krisku
02-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Well, my experiences seem to suggest they are locked to the MAC address (and have been so for several older versions as well), because I have problems with multiple devices sharing the same MAC because they are behind a wireless bridge that substitutes its own MAC. I cannot get the different profiles to behave consistently, indicating Mezzmo is getting them mixed up based on the same MACs.

I understand that basing device profiles on the MACs are more correct when regarding the possibility of dynamic IPs and so.

Could I suggest associating the device profiles to a combination of MAC and User-Agent header? That way multiple devices behind a MAC-mangling bridge can still be identified correctly!

Paul
02-23-2011, 07:40 AM
There's actually a bit of both at the moment - MACs and IPs. We'll sort it out and make it more consistent and reliable in future versions.