PDA

View Full Version : Media sever dropping connection again

tyree
02-03-2011, 05:41 AM
Hi I had been evaluating mezzo for the trial period and was waiting to seen if my problems with the media server not staying connected was corrected. When the new version(2.1.13.0) came out it appeared to solve my problem So I purchased mezzo and downloadstudio.

However I am back to having the media server dropping connection several times a day. Any thoughts on how to help?

Vista 64 bit
Netgear WNDR3700 dual band router
Samsung PN50C7000 plasma tv

Also should I be listed as a member now instead of junior member since I have purchased the software?

Adric
02-03-2011, 03:24 PM
What did we do to fix this issue last time? Have you tired connecting it via cables?

The Junior Member only based on the number of posts.

tyree
02-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I am connected by cables.

The current version seemed to keep me connected at first for several weeks but now I'm back to dropping several times a day

Dion
02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I am connected by cables.

The current version seemed to keep me connected at first for several weeks but now I'm back to dropping several times a day

Having same problem with WDTV Live :(

Paul
02-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Does it disconnect as before, while not playing anything, or does it disconnect while playing only?

We'll try to replicate it here again - should the server be running a few days before it starts doing that or does it also happen within minutes/hours of starting the server?

tyree
02-05-2011, 03:42 AM
It is like before.
I find the media server not connected when i come back to use it even though mezzo, itself says the media server is running there is no connection.
It will immediately reconnect when i click the start or stop media server button.
I have not had a problem with it disconnecting during streaming.

tyree
02-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Also to finish my answer, It will disconnect within hours of starting the server.

Paul
02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Sounds like a different issue to the previous one... Does your computer go to sleep or hibernate at any point? Is it a desktop or a laptop?

helio58
02-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi, I too have issues with this.
Using Windows 7 and Samsung tv.
Desktop allways on, in the same computer Dvbviewer running all time.
The Dvbviewer server show and plays all time.
Mezzmo I can play one or two films then switch to usual tv watching.
Next time try to connect to Mezzmo the server dont show up.
And in the desktop running Mezzmo it says Mezzmo running.
Stop and start connection possible.
Regards
Helio

Paul
02-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Ok, we'll try to reproduce it here as you described.

tyree
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Dennis

I have a desktop which never sleeps or hibernates. Only run screen a saver. My Samsung TV shows two DLNA connections my computer and Mezzmo.

My computers DLNA connection never goes down. But Mezzomo media sever will fail to be present if I don't use my TV for minutes/hours. Even though my computer says the Mezzmo media server is working. Refreshing connections from the TV will not reconnect to Mezzo. I have to restart /stop it to make a connection in the Mezzmo program/tray icon.

Thanks

Paul
02-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks - we'll try to reproduce this here and once we can do that, we'll be able to fix it.

helio58
02-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi Dennis.
I can send you the log files if you want.
I notice high cpu usage too when Mezzmo 2.1.13.0 running .
Regards
Helio

Krzysztof
02-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I notice same issue with my Panasonic TX-P50G and Mezzmo 2.1.13 (dropping connection).

There was no issue with the previous version 2.1.12 using same configuration of TV/PC setup/connection.

I already send this issue with explanation to Conceiva tech Support.

regards

kitsunegari
02-11-2011, 05:57 AM
It is like before.
I find the media server not connected when i come back to use it even though mezzo, itself says the media server is running there is no connection.
It will immediately reconnect when i click the start or stop media server button.
I have not had a problem with it disconnecting during streaming.

Can confirm I'm having similar problems.

Paul
02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Yes, please send logs (if you haven't already) - the more information we have, the easier it'll be to track this down. Thanks!

rizzlerick
02-17-2011, 01:14 AM
just wanan chime in and say I've been getting this recently too

seems to be totally random though as sometimes I might not look to play a file from mezzmo for a few days and its fine, and sometimes i go to play a mezzmo file and my TV doesnt see Mezzmo anymore

desktop PC, win7, always on, and the TV can always see the Win Media share

also noticed the high CPU usage on mezzmo after pretty much anytime I play a movie my PC is still running at 100% CPU until I exit mezzmo and restart it

crystalgipsy
02-17-2011, 03:59 AM
I too have had this problem. Although a full uninstall and reinstall has seemed to fix it for now.

Paul
02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
just wanan chime in and say I've been getting this recently too

seems to be totally random though as sometimes I might not look to play a file from mezzmo for a few days and its fine, and sometimes i go to play a mezzmo file and my TV doesnt see Mezzmo anymore

desktop PC, win7, always on, and the TV can always see the Win Media share

also noticed the high CPU usage on mezzmo after pretty much anytime I play a movie my PC is still running at 100% CPU until I exit mezzmo and restart it
Would it be transcoding the files you're trying to play and thus eat up the CPU or are they native? If you're not sure, please post FFmpeg information on one of those files and the device profile you're using and I'll check.

I too have had this problem. Although a full uninstall and reinstall has seemed to fix it for now.
That's probably just a temporary solution, unfortunately, but at least you've got it working. We're really trying to get this fixed and I think we've been able to reproduce, although it takes hours before it happens.

924MAV
02-17-2011, 01:25 PM
This is happening to me too! Is there a fix?

crystalgipsy
02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Not yet they are working on it.

granger33
02-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi,

Iam new at this forum. I started using Mezzmo software last monday, trial version, and i have this problem:

Take some time that other devices recognize the dlna/upnp mezzmo, also after watching a movie and if i want to watch another i have to wait some time, again, to be recognized the mezzmo dlna (i use xbmc on windows 7).
Any suggestions to solve this little problem?

Thanks

Aaron407
02-18-2011, 02:31 AM
I've also noticed this, but only twice. Mezzmo will merely not show up as being available on the bluray player. However, the main Mezzmo window on the computer states that the server is still running. After restarting the server it pops up as usual on the player and works properly. This is with an always-on dedicated computer wired to the bluray player through a linksys router.

Paul
02-18-2011, 07:46 AM
We have been able to reproduce this issue and it's being looked into right now. It takes a while to reproduce each time (it happens mostly after 1-2 hours of streaming), but at least it's consistent. I'm sure we'll have a solution soon and it should be part of the next minor update due out next week.

sjedwardz
02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
great news . I'm also getting disconnects and very poor playback and have had to stop using mezzmo - look forward to the new release.

spretti
02-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Also me have the reconnection problem. Sometimes it takes half hour before Mezzmo shows up. Earlier Mezzmo did not have that problem

crystalgipsy
02-23-2011, 06:33 AM
How close are we to getting a new build support. I currently cannot use Mezzmo at all. I have completely reinstalled and rebuilt my database. I either get the files jumping to next file after a few minutes or the connection to my TV just stops. I have a daughter who is very impatient to watch her films again.

Thanks.

Paul
02-23-2011, 07:47 AM
We're fixing this problem right now and once it's done, we'll be releasing a .14. Hopefully within the next few days. Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.

crystalgipsy
02-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the update.

TheGief
02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that I too am experiencing the similar problems: Media server won't show up on WDTV Live sometimes, playback will stop on its own mid playback.

I am on trial right now and would totally buy your software because I love the control you give me with your playlists, but for now I have to revert back to tversity...

Windows 7 64bit
Mezzmo 2.1.13.0
Hard wired to WD TV Live (up to date firmware)

Paul
02-25-2011, 01:57 PM
After doing lots of streaming testing, we actually found out that WD TV Live will stop requesting data and this problem is common to other DLNA servers as well, so it's not only Mezzmo that's at fault - in our testing all servers stopped streaming after approximately 5-6 hours. Our testing is being done using a not-yet-released version of Mezzmo with some other improvements, so possibly it'll be better in any case.

TheGief
02-26-2011, 02:34 AM
When you say "servers stopped streaming after approximately 5-6 hours" is that continuous streaming? Not exactly what you mean.

My usage doesn't match that statement. In my setup I have that Win7 64bit desktop on 24/7 running mezzmo on my home network. I then have an xbox 360 and wd tv live also on the network. The 360 is turned on for a few hours 1 or 2 times per day and rarely streams video (mostly plays games). The WD TV Live is on 24/7 and is usually left viewing a folder listing of the dnla server for quick access/playback of my video. The WDTV streams 30-60mins shows through out the day.

Does this usage match your testing?

TheGief
02-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Stopping and starting the service fixes the problem immediately. Very strange.

Paul
02-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes, that's continuous streaming of MKV files of various durations (mostly feature-length).

Do you have WD TV Live sitting in a folder with files in it and with a file selected? If so, are you using the Preview mode or some other mode? If it's the preview one, then it'll stream the movie the same way as it'll play it (to show the video thumbnail).

If leave any other server sitting there for the same amount of time in the same folder, does it behave differently than Mezzmo?

TheGief
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Very good question Dennis. I do have the My WD TV Live sitting most of the day with a mezzmo file selected. However, I have the settings on list files with no preview.

The only other server software I have used is Tversity and it never really had this problem.

I just went into the mezzmo media devices and saw that it identified my WDTV Live as a DSM750. I changed it to the correct device. Not sure yet if that will help this problem at all.

Is that .14 release coming out this week? I'm running out of time on my trial...

Paul
02-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes, if the device was set as DSM-750 (and it is by default, since they share the same user-agent strings), then it won't transcode properly and most files will not play properly either.

The next minor update should be released this week.

TheGief
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't use the transcoding feature so that probably why it being tagged as a dsm750 didn't affect me.

So is the plan to wait for the .14 update, try it out, and get back to you on this thread if it doesn't fix the problem?

Paul
03-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't use the transcoding feature so that probably why it being tagged as a dsm750 didn't affect me.

So is the plan to wait for the .14 update, try it out, and get back to you on this thread if it doesn't fix the problem?

Yes, that is what you should do. We're just doing final testing now & we expect the update to be available before the end of this week.

tyree
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Media server still dropping with new update 2.2.0.0

Also for the first time got a low memory error on computer this morning after maintain library ran/ or tried to run.

Also still get error message every morning that library update is already running.

TheGief
03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
So far so good with me and 2.2. Not much usage over the last two days but I'll post if I run into problems. On my last day of trial though...

Paul
03-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Also for the first time got a low memory error on computer this morning after maintain library ran/ or tried to run.

Also still get error message every morning that library update is already running.

Thanks for the feedback. We're looking in the Maintain Library low memory issue you mention. Can you contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and send us a screenshot of the error message you get every morning?

Dion
03-08-2011, 08:58 AM

Can confirm both of these. Back to .12 for me till its fixed..

Paul
03-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Can confirm both of these. Back to .12 for me till its fixed..

Dion - Can you confirm that v2.1.12 does not have the media server dropping connection issue with your WDTV Live? If true, that may give us a better idea of what may be going wrong with the later versions.

Dion
03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Dion - Can you confirm that v2.1.12 does not have the media server dropping connection issue with your WDTV Live? If true, that may give us a better idea of what may be going wrong with the later versions.

Yes .12 does not suffer this issue.

.13 does.. and so does latest.

Paul
03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Dion. We'll look into it more now.

Dion
03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks, Dion. We'll look into more now.

Oh oops i miss read what you were refering too. I haven't seen the WDTV Live disconnect with any copy for awhile.. Not sure why not.. It's pretty random. I was refering to the media server stop being seen by all devices after awhile.

mark11
03-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Paul or Dion

Can you post a link for .12? I am also suffering the drop issue. I do not need any of the other updates since .12

Thanks

TheGief
03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Quick Update: Have been using 2.2 a lot with my WD TV Live and haven't had any problems yet.

Dion
03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Paul,

Let me be clear on this.

.12 .13, and the latest. I have not had any WDTV Live disconnects in the middle of movies ( maybe 1 or 2 randomly over the course of a month )

with .13 and latest tho.... Mezzmo will stop broadcasting its server.. To all devices.. PC, PS3, WDTV etc.. over time.. The server has to be stopped... and restarted to be reseen.

.12 does not suffer that issue.

Paul
03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Paul,

Let me be clear on this.

.12 .13, and the latest. I have not had any WDTV Live disconnects in the middle of movies ( maybe 1 or 2 randomly over the course of a month )

with .13 and latest tho.... Mezzmo will stop broadcasting its server.. To all devices.. PC, PS3, WDTV etc.. over time.. The server has to be stopped... and restarted to be reseen.

.12 does not suffer that issue.

Thanks for the clarification, Dion. We'll investigate this further.

DCC
03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
My Samsung BDC-5500 Blu-ray loses connection after I have turned of the TV for a while. The Samsung automatically powers down after maybe ten minutes. It was in "Disc device" mode at the time, which includes Netflix as an option. When I try to return to Netflix, I get the no connection message.

Restarting the Mezzmo server does not help, nor does logging off my PC and back on. I was able to get to Mezzmo by explicitly selecting it as a "device." Then, if I go back to Disc device, I can get to Netflix.

Dion
03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Any update on these two issues? WDTV Live bug is getting kinda annoying after months :(

Paul
03-25-2011, 08:55 AM
The maintain library low memory issue should now be fixed (will be available with 2.2.1) and we're looking into the disconnect issue as well. It seems that the WD TV Live has it's own bugs in the firmware (since other servers behave the same way with it), but there's a different kind of disconnect that we're trying to fix now. It's our top priority at the moment.

robbp12
03-26-2011, 01:45 AM
I have connectivity issues too. Mezzmo just stops responding. unable to see it in playstation 3 or windows 7 pc with media player. this is happening almost daily now. I have to logon to the server and stop, start mezzmo service.
the other night I was watching a video on ps3 and the sound started to sputter and video quit , ps3 gave me a dlna network service error. I check the server and mezzmo had crashed and was stopped. most of the time when I lose connectivity I see the mezzmo server running though.
the server I have it running on now is a brand new build to try and eliminate possible os issues. nothing else runs on this server except mezzmo. I do have the registered version of mezzmo but still have it running as trial on new server build ( I'm afraid if I keep activating I'll get the reg key locked out)

Paul
03-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Does the server always crash when trying to play that file or did it play through ok the second time (if you've tried)?

Are you running Mezzmo on a WHS? Do you have a single or multiple NICs on that PC and is Mezzmo running wired or wireless? We're trying to reproduce the random connectivity drop issue and the more information we have, the more things we can try here as well.

robbp12
03-29-2011, 05:27 AM
no, it doesn't usually crash. most of the time when it drops off the lan ( not a ps3 thing..I checked on my win7 machine and mezzmo doesn't show up in media player library either) I open mezzmo and it shows the media server running. I have mezzmo running on windows server 2008 ( not r2) with a single gigabit nic. transcoding is turned off. I did try to play the movie again that caused it to actually crash and it played with no issues.

Paul
03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the info - we'll be trying to reproduce it here with a similar machine to yours as well then.

Visor
03-31-2011, 07:01 AM
If you're using a wireless network to stream movies from Mezzmo, you may want to check out this troubleshooting article (http://www.sohonetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed), particularly fixes #3-5.

The author has even more articles on wireless troubleshooting here. (http://www.sohonetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics)

Regards,
Visor

Richard
03-31-2011, 09:26 AM
I am running Mezzmo 2.2.0 on Windows Server 2008 64Bit over a wired network through a PS3, part way through a movie the connection will be lost and the PS3 says the file is not supported and stops playing, if I go back and replay the movie it will play ok - I do not loose connection to the media server, it just stops playing part way through the movie.
Is this bug being fixed in 2.2.1
It all works really well apart from this little bug - fix this and I will purchase it.

Thanks
Richard

Paul
03-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Can you please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then try playing that file again and once it stops, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com and we'll take a look at what's happening.

bigdog
03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
I am running Mezzmo 2.2.0 on Windows Server 2008 64Bit over a wired network through a PS3, part way through a movie the connection will be lost and the PS3 says the file is not supported and stops playing, if I go back and replay the movie it will play ok - I do not loose connection to the media server, it just stops playing part way through the movie.
Thanks
Richard

Please refer my latest forum posting

Mezzmo Video Error: "File Not Supported" - Suggested Fix for mkv files

http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1456-Mezzmo-Video-Error-quot-File-Not-Supported-quot-Suggested-Fix-for-mkv-files?p=6885#post6885

AW312
04-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Can you please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then try playing that file again and once it stops, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com and we'll take a look at what's happening.

Are u still looking for log files? I d/l'ed the newest version of Mezzmo a few days ago, and im also suffering that drop outs.
TV is connect via cable, PC running Mezzmo is a W7 64 Bit OS.
TV is a Samsung D8090.

johnny_blaze2k
04-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I own a BDP S580 and the windows 7 media server looks reeaaallyyy bad so (when it showed up on my server list on my bdp), I started looking for one. Tversity didn't play well at all and then I found Mezzmo.

It looks great but the disconnects are a Huge problem. It's consistant. Within the first 5 minutes it drops. It wouldn't be so bad if it "Resumed" but it doesn't do that either. Hey the W7 media server "resumes". (but looks horrible).

I've tinkered with settings trying to optimize but to no avail. I'm trying to sell my wife on buying it but I only have 5 days left and she's not convinced.

Streaming MP4's from a Intel Core i7 (9 gb ram) and the wireless connection signal is around 56-63% (Gigabit N Linksys router)

my PS3 has no drop problems. I really want this to work for us.

Paul
05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, if the server still drops in the latest Mezzmo v2.3.1 - please send in the logs for when it happens and we'll continue investigating this issue.

naifyboy
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
'similar' issue for me - got W7 64-bit 8gb ram. it's on all the time. I stream to a Samsung BD -d5300 Blu Ray player. sometimes I can navigate through my library folders and sometimes I can't. I randomly lose connection whilst just trying to find what I want to watch.
Have disabled Firewall and AV, rebooted PC and router, turned Blu-ray player on and off but continue to randomly be kicked out of Mezzmo when looking for something to play.

I would like to add that i am also running Windows Media Player 12 from the same pc and have none of these problems with it.

Paul
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Can you please go to your network card settings (Network and Sharing Centre -> Change adapter settings -> right-click on the NIC -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced) and check what the setting for "Flow Control" is? If it's Disabled, try changing it to Enabled and see if that helps.

AW312
05-03-2011, 03:05 AM
@Dennis: Its enabled here. Ill put up some logs and will mail them to u asap.

naifyboy
05-03-2011, 08:18 AM
@Dennis - it seems to have helped. although I have only tested it for a short period of time. Thanks for your advice. I will let you know if it is still a problem going forward.

naifyboy
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
@Dennis - i still have the same problem. i didn't have time to test thoroughly before but still have the same problem now i have looked at it again.
what's the next suggestion please?

Paul
05-05-2011, 08:39 AM
@Dennis - i still have the same problem. i didn't have time to test thoroughly before but still have the same problem now i have looked at it again.
what's the next suggestion please?
If this is consistently reproducible, can you please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then wait for this to happen and once it disconnects, stop the server and send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com - if possible, please also note the time when it happened.

chrisl67
05-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Any news on a fix for this issue? I think this is a great product, but I too have issues with the server dying, as well as with the GUI crashing when I'm managing the library and playlists.

Current version of Messmo, win7 64bit, WD TV Plus. The transcoding for the Moto Droid X does not seem to work. Is there a document somewhere that describes how to roll your own DLNA profile for devices?

Hopefully these issues are fixed, soon as I would like to purchase this product at the end of the trial period, as well as recommend it to a bunch of people, but cannot do so until it works reliably.

Thanks much!

-Chris

Paul
05-23-2011, 09:10 AM
At the moment, there are no known disconnect issues that are being investigated for the upcoming 2.3.2 release, since it appears that the ones we had have been solved by us or users.

If you get those issues consistently, can you please turn on logging and then try to reproduce the disconnect and send us the logs, so that we could investigate?

The GUI crash - does it happen when you delete playlists or when the library maintenance is running or when you move playlists or files. Can you please give a bit more details on what you do that causes the crash, so that we could try to reproduce it here as well?

There's no official document on creating device profiles, but feel free to ask here and I'll be happy to help you out (if you do, please start a new thread). What sort of transcoding doesn't work for the Droid X (audio/video/photo)?

chrisl67
05-24-2011, 04:03 AM
At the moment, there are no known disconnect issues that are being investigated for the upcoming 2.3.2 release, since it appears that the ones we had have been solved by us or users.

If you get those issues consistently, can you please turn on logging and then try to reproduce the disconnect and send us the logs, so that we could investigate?

The GUI crash - does it happen when you delete playlists or when the library maintenance is running or when you move playlists or files. Can you please give a bit more details on what you do that causes the crash, so that we could try to reproduce it here as well?

There's no official document on creating device profiles, but feel free to ask here and I'll be happy to help you out (if you do, please start a new thread). What sort of transcoding doesn't work for the Droid X (audio/video/photo)?

Thanks for replying Dennis.

The Droid X issue was a Biological Interface Error.

Since turning on logging, I have not experienced any issues with disconnects, or the server crashing.

I haven't had a GUI crash since turning on logging, and if I do I will forward the log to support. The problem usually crops up when I'm creating and editing playlists, and I've experienced a lot of interface lag and freezing up at times.

I should note that it's handling about 500+gig of mixed media files, so I'm guessing the database is rather large, and this may contribute to the UI performance issues.

Maybe adding another tier (i.e. seperating the media server component from the gui) would help.

Also I see the Motorola DVR Cable Box shows up as a media device..:P I haven't tried, but I'm guessing they've locked it down to only work with Verizon Media Mangler, which I had to un-install due to performance issues.

The funny thing is, I might have kept the cable if the DVR worked as a DLNA player/server, but they had to cripple it.

-Chris

Paul
05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
The server is separate from the GUI, but they do share the same database, so if you're performing maintenance or any other heavy tasks (e.g. adding lots of files), then browsing the server will be a tad slower during this. It will not affect serving/transcoding files though, provided you have a powerful, multi-core CPU.

medievil
06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
since it seems this hasn't been resolved officially..
I too am experiencing server drops.. (Windows7 64bit)
PC is ALWAYS on..will work good as long as it is being used, but let it sit idol (The server) and Mezzmo will disconnect...
I thought it may be do to the HD with my media spinning down and not getting a signal to spin back up but can't be sure that is the issue...
just a little while ago I went into services and made sure that on 1st,2nd and subsequent crashes it was set to restart...in case it is a server crash issue

I have had it die out during streaming a couple times...
it's really baffling to me.. I have other servers that run non-stop so it has to be some interaction between mezzmo and windows.. but I can't for the life of me understand what it could be.. there is no application crash listed in event viewer

anyway it stops at least once a day if it hasn't been used..and by stops I mean I start the Mezzmo app and it says Start server(not stop server as it would if it is running) and yes the settings are for the server to run at start-up...

Paul
06-14-2011, 09:06 AM
It would be great if you could turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then let things sit for a while (so that the server stops) and once that happens send the logs to support (at) conceiva (dot) com - perhaps they'll give us clue as to what's happening.

medievil
06-14-2011, 03:14 PM
sent in when I made the post...
there were 2 log files one was 59mb and showed it close, then the other log started and it almost immediately closed back down, thats the log file I sent it..it shows the server starting then stopping at a time I know it wasn't being used

Paul
06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Ok, if you already sent in the logs then someone will get back to you via e-mail after going through them.

kitsunegari
06-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Since I reported problems a while back just thought I'd update this thread. Server disconnects have been much less frequent since the latest release, but I still get a lot of problems seeking in video files.

qupncy
06-15-2011, 09:27 PM
I have a similar problem with my samsung C TV. When i try to play a video file through mezzmo it will play for a few minutes and then drop out. When i replay the file it will last longer before it drops out but it never stops dropping out. I have changed between samsung BDP and C on the device list and have the same problem. any ideas?

Paul
06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Since I reported problems a while back just thought I'd update this thread. Server disconnects have been much less frequent since the latest release, but I still get a lot of problems seeking in video files.
Are the problems seeking in files that are being transcoded or just generally (any file, even after transcoding or native)?

I have a similar problem with my samsung C TV. When i try to play a video file through mezzmo it will play for a few minutes and then drop out. When i replay the file it will last longer before it drops out but it never stops dropping out. I have changed between samsung BDP and C on the device list and have the same problem. any ideas?
Most probably transcoding is too slow - can you please send in your logs so that we could check if that's the case?

qupncy
06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
i emailed support, waiting for reply.
What do you mean by transcoding is too slow? i have a sandy bridge core 15 2500 cpu which is more than capable of running mezzmo if you meant my hardware might not be up to the task. its really puzzling as i have been on the latest version of mezzmo for a while now and its only started doing this (that i can remember) in the last week or so.

Paul
06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Yes, that CPU should handle transcoding just fine. If you sent in the logs, then someone will get back to you via e-mail.

kitsunegari
06-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Are the problems seeking in files that are being transcoded or just generally (any file, even after transcoding or native)?Just files that are being transcoded. I realise I'm trying to get too much out of my server hardware, and am looking forward to the pre-transcode feature eagerly :).

Paul
06-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Just files that are being transcoded. I realise I'm trying to get too much out of my server hardware, and am looking forward to the pre-transcode feature eagerly :).
Yes, that feature shouldn't be too far away now :) Seeking of course can only happen up to a point where transcoding is currently taking place, so if you're transcoding at 500 fps, then you could seek well, since the whole file will be done in a couple of minutes, but if your transcoding speed is closer to 50 (or less), then you pretty much won't be able to seek.

kitsunegari
06-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Just out of interest how will the pre-transcode feature work? In the case of headless servers, will you need to log in (eg via RDP), open Mezzmo, and "Pre-Transcode" will be a right click menu option?

Or will hovering on the file when you're browsing on the streamed-to device kick start an auto pre-transcode process (if not is that a possible additional selectable feature)?

Paul
06-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes, you'd have to do it from the GUI.

There are plans to let you do that from the device as well, but that's not going to be implemented for the next update (perhaps in the future though).

smitbret
07-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Just wanted to throw in something I'd noticed. It seems that the Media Server is more likely to drop my connection when I have PeerBlock and/or uTorrent running on my PC. It seems more stable when I completely exit PeerBlock, even if I leave uTorrent running. I haven't had time to check it out, but there definitely seems to be a corellation on my PC. Probably a network/router issue. Torrents are notoriously hard on routers.

Paul
07-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. We'll do some tests here with that to see if it causes any issues.

smitbret
07-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Been messing with it the last few days and I'm going to have to retract the PeerBlock/uTorrent comment. After watching a few movies, Mezzmo Media Server is stopping 2 or 3 times per movie, regaradless of whether PeerBlock or uTorrent are active. It was just coincidental the couple of times that I replicated it.

Seems like it's an issue that is limited to Windows 7. It didn't do this until I upgraded from Win XP. I scrapped together some PC parts at home and work to build a media server and loaded it with Mezzmo, swapped out the library HDDs and I have yet to experience a crash.

sionic
07-06-2011, 12:16 AM
i often thought it could be the extra things i was running on the PC, but again - i agree it doesnt seem related, as i no longer run peerblock/utorrent on startup.

smitbret
07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Could file-type be a culprit? I played a couple of two hour DVD rips (.vob and then remuxed to .mpg, no transcoding) and didn't lose connections at all. It only seems to crash with .mp4 files (h264/aac) for me. Most of my files are .mp4, though, so it's tough to pinpoint just that.

Paul
07-06-2011, 12:45 PM
File type shouldn't be an issue, in theory, but it could - if the device's firmware player gets overloaded on some certain file types, then this is possible. In our previous tests we found that (for example) WD TV Lives would disconnect (any server, not only Mezzmo) after playing certain files.

smitbret
07-21-2011, 08:50 AM
So, I discovered that my problem was strictly .mp4 files on the PS3. They would start playing and typically drop the connection four or five times during the course of a typical movie. The drops are random and can't be repeated, but they occur on the same files every time. The video will stop and give a DLNA error. Mezzmo no longer appears as a media server and when I check Mezzmo, the GUI shows it as still running. Hit "Stop the Media Server" then hit "Start the Media Server" and everything hooks back up, I can FFW to where I left off and watch again for another 20-40 minutes before it drops the connection.

It seems to be connected to frame rate. When running the .mp4 files through VLC, many of them have odd frame rates like 23.970000 or 24.163 rather than your standard 23.976, 24, 25 or 29.97. I demuxed them, converted the .aac tracks to .acs and remuxed in .m2ts containers and it seems to be ok, although I haven't had time to rewatch many of them and none start to finish. The couple that I did watch played just fine for the 45 minutes or so I got in to them. I haven't found an .mp4 with a "normal" framerate that crashed, yet.

Since I started ripping with makeMKV and converting to .m2ts with TSmuxer, I haven't had a BR that has crashed on me.

dkodgis
05-30-2012, 11:51 PM
This happened to me, too. Since the beginning of my subscription (about a year and a half ago), my dlink dir-655 router and Samsung TV and the software didn't play well. Wired, it was fine. Wireless, the connection dropped willy-nilly. The latest update 2.61 whatever is what did the trick. Since about a week I have been streaming from my laptop wirelessly and it all has been wonderful. I didn't do a single thing else. I was using another package without issue but since Mezzmo now works/is fixed, I am as happy as a tick on a big dog. I didn't send in logs because other streaming software was working. Whatever Conceiva did, this release is working now. Thank you!

Paul
05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the great feedback. Glad you are streaming without any disconnections now!

alexm
07-22-2012, 01:27 PM
So I noticed that there have been a great many updates coming out recently for Mezzmo. I have installed them as they have come, but recently after the previous couple, my WDTV Live has been having terrible playback (jittery frames, no audio, skipping) from time to time. Historically the playback has been very reliable with Mezzmo, but after some of these updates, something that happened every great once in awhile is now a thoroughly consistent issue. Every video file I play back h.264 .mkv, .avi or .mp4 has this problem, and it seems to be getting worse. Before, if I stopped the file, let it sit for a second or two and resume the file, everything was fine. Now, I can't watch a single video without the problem becoming such an issue that's it's difficult to complete 15 straight minutes of a video without it becoming unwatchable. The server drops from detection after stopping some videos, especially the ones that are having this new issue. Any ideas on what may be going on?

For the record, I use Mezzmo on my Macbook Pro running Windows 7 32bit wirelessly into an Apple Airport Extreme wired directly to the WDTV Live and ending on a vizio LCD TV.

Paul
07-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi alexm,

What version of Mezzmo are you running? We did have a few similar reports like you have reported for Mezzmo v2.6.5. We are about to release Mezzmo v2.6.7 shortly, so I advise you to upgrade to this version when it becomes available. I'll post back here when it is ready.

Paul
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi alexm,

Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.7 is now available and I recommend you try this new version. After installing the Mezzmo v2.6.7 update, go to the Media Devices dialog in Mezzmo and delete all your devices. Re-start your Mezzmo server and your devices will be correctly detected and re-listed in the Media Devices dialog. Let us know how you go.