PDA

View Full Version : 6 Core CPU Support

Aaron407
02-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Can Mezzmo fully utilize 6 cores of a processor if the core usage is specified as such in the program? I'm debating 4 core vs 6 core for a new computer build that will be specifically for Mezzmo to stream, but I want to ensure that the additional two cores could actually be utilized. I haven't found documentation stating one way or the other, but if it does exist I apologize for the repetition.

RMerlin
02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
It can use as many cores as available, however you might need to modify your device profile - I'm not sure if by default transcoding uses all available cores, or is limited to a specific number of cores.

Paul
02-04-2011, 02:30 PM
It also depends on your device - at the moment only h264 encoding benefits from multiple cores and not all devices will have files transcoded to h264 (some will be transcoded to mpeg2, which does not really benefit from multiple cores).

Having 6 cores is better than 4 also because transcoding can take 4 (or 5) of them and actual data delivery will be on the 6th. If you have 4, then transcoding can take only 3 (unless you have an i5/i7 with 4 cores, but 8 threads).

By default transcoding is set to use 4 cores (this is more of a "maximum" setting, it doesn't mean it'll actually utilize 4 in all cases).