PDA

View Full Version : MKV, subtitles and audios

Dimas
02-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Hi!

I recently adquiered Mezzmo for the transcoding feature, it's working perfect :)

Yesterday I wanted to see a MKV file with 4 audio channels (4 languages) and subtitles integrated in my Panasonic Viera V20. The image was perfect and I can listen the Spanish audio, but I can't select other audios (I want it in OST!) either the subtitles.

What's the problem?

Paul
02-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi,

MKV files need to be transcoded for the Panasonic, so Mezzmo only keeps the first video and the first audio streams in the file and drops the subtitles completely. This will be changed in future versions, where you'll be able to choose which video/audio/subtitle stream you'd like to watch from the file.

Dimas
02-10-2011, 06:56 PM
And do you know in which version we will have this feature?

Thx

Paul
02-11-2011, 09:03 AM
It'll be the next major (v3, I guess) one. I cannot give our ETA out at the moment ;)

xxx
02-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Very frustrating. It's almost March and I'm still waiting for the "burned subtitles" feature which you said would be available last year. Several new versions since then. You should have put this on the top of the priority list.

bigdog
02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I had one mkv file with three english sound tracks for "Casablanca 1942"
-- playing the movie on my computer played the "movie" audio correctly
-- Mezzmo incorrectly played the "documentary" audio track that talked about the making of the movie on my Panasonic Viera TV

I also had another mkv file with five Russian sound tracks and one DTS english audio track
-- the computer played the english DTS track which was the last track
-- Mezzmo played one of the Russian tracks (probably the first track)

I have reported the first problem to Conceiva

Dennis from Conceiva recommended downloading software MKVtoolnix (free) which allows you to remove unwanted audio streams
MKV files: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVExtractGUI
and http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix
and some guides on how to use them: http://www.videohelp.com/guides?tools=609&&archive=%25

This software enabled me to delete the unwanted audio tracks and watch the movies in English with Mezzmo
-- the process took about 6 minutes and made the MKV files smaller
-- you can also remove the subtitle files
-- in the bottom half of the screen each file has a description (russian, english, english DTS etc)

MKVtoonix user instructions.doc are provided

Dimas
04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Is the feature present in the last version? (the feature = choose audio channel in mkv files with Panasonic VIERA TVs)

mediocaballero
04-15-2011, 04:19 AM
I have one further question on the topic. Which audio track is played by default? The first one? Can the order be changed via the tools from the previous post?

EDIT: Donwloaded MKVToolnix, checked a few files and realized there is a 'default' flag for the audio tracks, but Meezmo (or maybe it's the codec?) is not using it... it sometimes uses the other audio track :-m

I'm using a samsung C6530 without transcoding.

Paul
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Is the feature present in the last version? (the feature = choose audio channel in mkv files with Panasonic VIERA TVs)
No, not yet - it'll be part of the next major Mezzmo update.

I have one further question on the topic. Which audio track is played by default? The first one? Can the order be changed via the tools from the previous post?

EDIT: Donwloaded MKVToolnix, checked a few files and realized there is a 'default' flag for the audio tracks, but Meezmo (or maybe it's the codec?) is not using it... it sometimes uses the other audio track :-m

I'm using a samsung C6530 without transcoding.
If you're not transcoding the file, then it's up to the device to let you choose tracks (or not). If you are transcoding the file, then FFmpeg will automatically choose a track, I'm not sure if it respects the default setting or not, but we'll investigate.

mediocaballero
04-21-2011, 11:08 PM
It's a Samsung 32'' C6530 and it plays mkv's, so it doesn't need to transcode.

When playing the mkv from a USB pendrive, it allows audio channel switching, but via DLNA it does not.

I've checked them and in all my mkv's my default language is spanish, but via DLNA some of them are being played in english :-m

Paul
04-22-2011, 11:09 PM
As Dennis has mentioned in an earlier post, if Mezzmo does not transcode the file, then it just delivers it byte-for-byte to your Samsung device. It's then up to your device whether it lets you select an audio channel or not. Playing a video via USB and playing via DLNA is often done differently the firmware in devices - and I think you have experienced this with your Samsung device. It seems to have less features available to you when you are playing via DLNA, when compared to via USB. Perhaps a workaround is to use a tool to remove the other audio channels from your MKV, so your device is forced to play the audio channel you want. Not sure if this helps in your situation.

jazz
04-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Hello - my first post in the forum ..

I'm very interested in this particular feature of enabling the viewer to pick the sound track and subtitle in conjunction with a transcoding.

I own a Sony BDP S480 and am missing those features greatly when streaming from my Windows platform.

If I purchase the Mezzmo software today and this feature is build into version 3.0 how do I stand then ? upgrade for free or will it cost me extra ?

Cheers

Paul
04-26-2011, 09:40 PM
The next major release of Mezzmo (v3.0) will be a free upgrade to all registered users.

jazz
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Excellent - I'm now officially a customer of yours :)

jazz
04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
and btw.. if you're in need of testers for the functionality in this thread I'm happy to be part of that.

jazz
04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
can you share what the timeline is for the subtitle part to because available ?

cheers

Paul
05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
At the moment we can't provide a definite ETA on that, but it's being developed, so it'll make it's way into the next major version.

jazz
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM
At the moment we can't provide a definite ETA on that, but it's being developed, so it'll make it's way into the next major version.

Ok, looking forward to it :)

Dimas
05-27-2011, 03:55 AM
I'm waiting for the transcoding with subtitles support. Until the next major release Mezzmo it's not for me since all videos I've are MKV in OST with subtitles :( Hope you can have an approximate date for 3.0 soon...

Paul
05-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Sorry, I cannot give you a firm date as yet for the next major version. We are behind our planned schedule for the next major version, but we will deliver it as soon as it is ready. We are working on the new features right now (pre-transcoding and a new subtitle engine) - as well as releasing regular minor updates for our registered users and for new device support.

JackJones
06-01-2011, 12:55 AM
To avoid losing the subtitles when transcoding , does anyone know how to encode a subtitle into the videostream ?

SST-P
09-25-2011, 12:52 PM
to all Mezzmo user who read Matroska (MKV) video Files

For the moment if you wish to listen your .mkv files in some audio, for example me most of the time I prefers listen my movie in French, the only way right now is to use MKVtoolnix to change the order of the audios you wish to listen your files when it's transcoded by Mezzmo FFMPEG, it's took about 4 minutes to muxing the new files (9 GB MKV Files)... I await this version ? of mezzmo with great anticipation.:D

MKVtoolnix Windows:

This link is the direct link from videohelp.com to download mkvtoolnix version 4.9.1
http://www.videohelp.com/download/mkvtoolnix-unicode-4.9.1-setup.exe

Hope this helps

SST-P
09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
To avoid losing the subtitles when transcoding , does anyone know how to encode a subtitle into the videostream ?

1.: Extract the subtitle (.srt files) you wish to add. using MKV Cleaver -} MKV Cleaver Download Link (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVcleaver)

2.: There are several software that can do this if you wish to compress in another video format you can use DVD Fab this software is not free, if not you can use those software for muxing. AVIMux Gui (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVIMux-GUI) and you need vsfilter (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VSFilter-DirectVobSub) to be able to use AVIMux GUI or MKVTool Nix (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix)

Hope It's help.

kamran
09-29-2011, 03:10 AM
Waoo that's great man.

abenda
02-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Hi,
Any news about the subtitle feature?
Assaf

Paul
02-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Assaf,

There's no official ETA that I can release, but it's expected in Q2 2012.

Marten
03-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Hello

The release with the subtitle feature will include the 'select audio track feature'?

Thanks

klarmacker
03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
hi

so i have to mux my files before i can use mezzmo? my toshiba tv can select 2 voicechannel but they are still englisch...

Paul
03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Hello

The release with the subtitle feature will include the 'select audio track feature'?

Thanks
Yes, it will.

hi

so i have to mux my files before i can use mezzmo? my toshiba tv can select 2 voicechannel but they are still englisch...

Are those files sent to the TV natively or are they transcoded by Mezzmo? If transcoded, then only the first audio track will be used at the moment.

klarmacker
03-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Are those files sent to the TV natively or are they transcoded by Mezzmo? If transcoded, then only the first audio track will be used at the moment.

yes its transcoded by mezzmo i deleted all audio sources with the tool which is located few post earlier, this works know but its not a solution. i have to choose my audioline in mezzmo or at the tv...

Paul
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
yes its transcoded by mezzmo i deleted all audio sources with the tool which is located few post earlier, this works know but its not a solution. i have to choose my audioline in mezzmo or at the tv...

We understand this also, so that's why the next major version of Mezzmo that we're developing now will let you specify what video, audio and subtitle channels within a media file you wish to stream to particular devices. No release dates as yet - we are still developing this now.

Gus
03-15-2012, 10:04 PM
We understand this also, so that's why the next major version of Mezzmo that we're developing now will let you specify what video, audio and subtitle channels within a media file you wish to stream to particular devices. No release dates as yet - we are still developing this now.

Great! thanks Paul. This sounds like a great feature. I've had quite a few MKVs where the default track is not English so have to use mkvtools etc to remove the non English audio tracks.

If Mezzmo can be set to default to track tag:[EN] or similar that would be great.

looking forward to this
cheers

Gus

alvesricardo
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
how does transcoding work?

does mezzmo transcode the file automatically if tv doesn't recognize it? or it must be done manually before watching the file?

Paul
03-16-2012, 10:05 AM
If Mezzmo can be set to default to track tag:[EN] or similar that would be great.

That is the plan. You will be able to set your global preferences (e.g. EN) or set preferences per file.

Paul
03-16-2012, 10:24 AM
how does transcoding work?

Mezzmo contains two methods of transcoding - automatic on-the-fly transcoding and pre-transcoding.

1. Automatic on-the-fly transcoding

Automatic on-the-fly transcoding means Mezzmo will transcode any file that is not compatible with your device when you go to play it on your device. Mezzmo knows to transcode a file based on the device profile that you have selected for your device in Mezzmo (see Media devices dialog). Typically, automatic on-the-fly transcoding is the preferred method of transcoding.

2. Pre-transcoding

There are times that you may want to pre-transcode a file before playing it on a device. Reasons for pre-transcoding are:

If your computer's CPU and RAM is not powerful enough to transcode on-the-fly fast enough. For transcoding HD 1080 video, you will typically need as a minimum a quad-core CPU with 4GB RAM or higher. You will notice this problem if your vidoes start to stutter or become choppy or even stop midway during playback on your device. You can go to the Transcoding pane and a warning message is displayed if transcoding is not fast enough. Pre-transcoding will fix this problem since your file will be fully transcoded before you play it.
Some devices don't let you FF/REW or seek whilst a file is being transcoded and streamed to your device. So pre-transcoding a file before streaming it fixes this issue and lets you FF/REW and seek through the file.
Some devices only accept MP4 video (e.g. iPhone, iPad, Android devices) and will not play them until the file is complete (i.e. fully transcoded). So pre-transcoding will let you play your files on these devices.

To pre-transcode a file, right-click on a file in Mezzmo and click 'Pre-transcode File'. To pre-transcode a folder or playlist, right-click on the folder/playlist and click 'Pre-transcode Playlist'. To pre-transcode your entire Mezzmo library, click Tools/Pre-transcode Library. Be aware that pre-transcoding your entire Mezzmo library may take some time depending how many files you have and your computer's CPU and RAM.

All transcoding activity can be seen in the Transcoding pane in Mezzmo.

Mezzmo transcodes all media types - video, music and photos.

klarmacker
09-21-2012, 04:16 AM
so when will be the ralize of the plan to chose the language of a video file? i only get english voice no other is avaidable

Paul
09-21-2012, 10:06 AM
so when will be the ralize of the plan to chose the language of a video file? i only get english voice no other is avaidable

We're hoping to have this feature in Mezzmo v3.0 that is due for release in the coming months.

kraksen
09-22-2012, 03:19 AM
We're hoping to have this feature in Mezzmo v3.0 that is due for release in the coming months.

Is this release going to include the "subtitle engine" allowing to bake-in/hardcode subtitles to transcoded files ?

I have been waiting for this feature ever since i buyed Mezzmo.

The problem is, that my Panasonic TV is making problems with more and more files, and unfortunately it doesn't support subtitles with mkv files.

So the solution for me, would just be transcoding all my files = never have to worry about how my tv handles the different files natively.

Really hope the subtitle engine is coming soon. I really feel less and less happy about using Mezzmo, since it's a hit-n-miss game (even though it's my TV that is the problem, and not Mezzmo. But still, a problem for me anyway).

You guys have mentioned this feauture to "be coming" for almost 2 years now, so about time m8s..

Please :)

Paul
09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Is this release going to include the "subtitle engine" allowing to bake-in/hardcode subtitles to transcoded files ?

Yes - Mezzmo v3.0 will have the full subtitling engine, including burning in subtitles into videos so you can see them on devices that do not support external or embedded subtitles. Thanks for your patience.

kraksen
09-26-2012, 02:50 AM
Great ! :)

klarmacker
11-26-2012, 07:19 PM
so more than 2 month are ago.... where can i find v3.0?

Paul
11-26-2012, 09:15 PM
It is planned to be released next month (December). We are doing final testing now.

doghere
12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Hey I found a solution to this... change extensions of all your non avi files to '.avi', get the srt file in the folder with the same file name as of the video, next open mezzmo head to transcoding settings and turn off transcoding for all files. And whoila ! I have subtitles for all files Cheers