PDA

View Full Version : A Few Issues

kitsunegari
02-14-2011, 01:07 AM
I've been having a few problems lately with Mezzmo, and it's irritating because it is such a good piece of software, but I am just not enjoying using it of late.

I'm more than happy to admit it might be something I'm doing/not setting up correctly so please, let me know if there are any logs I can provide or anything I can try out in order to diagnose the problems further.

Firstly my hardware. Mezzmo is running on a headless computer that is a reasonable spec: Intel E2200, 8GB of memory, running Windows Home Server (not 100% sure if this is supported or not but I can't see it as being a problem?), and I think those are the pertinent specs. I realise this is a low spec processor, but I'm not trying to play anything super duper on it, eg I abandoned (for now) my plan to rip my dvd collection to super high quality rips. I have a huge music collection, a great deal of which is lossless (mostly FLAC), but again the server is plenty good enough to deal with transcoding.

The media is sent to a Sony Bravia 32EX403, it's the latest Bravia engine. The network in question is a wired gigabit ethernet network, although the TV itself only has a 10/100 nic.

Within Mezzmo (2.1.13.0) itself, the program has access to 200GB disk space for transcoding, with the max number of audio/video transcoders set to 2. I have tried both the Sony Bravia KDL and KDL W profiles, and had the same issues with both.

So to the issues.

First; I don't leave my server on 24/7, although ideally I would, but I reboot it sometimes and turn it off sometimes. Everytime windows boots, the mezzmo service (MezzmoMediaServer.exe), which is set to autostart, without fail crashes, the windows error dialogue comes up (Send/Don't Send), and I have to RDP into my server to restart the service. Once or twice this would be a minor inconvenience, but every time I turn the server on it is awful. I don't want to go to the lengths of having to reinstall everything but I guess I could try this.

Second; When browsing the folder shares on my TV, every now and again without apparant reason, the MezzmoMediaServer.exe crashes. Again, I have to RDP into the server to restart it.

Third; When viewing an actual video file, seeking is impossible - the file simply cuts out and has to be restarted from the very beginning - I'm sure you can appreciate how annoying this is!

Fourth; Stuttery performance without apparant reason - large dvd rips (of reasonable quality) sometimes play absolutely fine, whereas small files sometimes don't.

Any logs I can provide, anything I can test, please let me know. I think I'll eventually reinstall the program as I'm getting short of patience with it - which is a great shame as it's such a good little program when it works.

Paul
02-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Sorry to hear of the issues you're having - let's try to get them sorted out.

As a first step, can you please turn on logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then restart the computer, so that Mezzmo crashes and save those logs. Then clear the logs out, restart Mezzmo server and try browsing a folder to make the server crash as well. Also, please do the same (e.g. turn on logging, replicate the issue, turn logging off, save logs, clear logs) for the other issues and then send everything to support (at) conceiva (dot) com and we'll start investigating the issues.

Also, with the files that do not allow seeking - can you please post FFmpeg information on one of those? I guess they're being transcoded, but the "KDL" profile should allow you to seek within those (to the point that it has already transcoded to, not further though).

kitsunegari
02-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Cheers Dennis, I got a reply from support to say that the streaming issue has been fixed, but no word on the constant crashing.

Should I just reinstall the program and see if that helps?

Paul
02-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Did you get a patched version or an updated device profile from support? Also, do you have a case number, so that I could see your issue here (or an e-mail address from which you sent something to support, you can PM me if you wish).