PDA

View Full Version : Only downloading html

Nashid
12-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Greetings:

I read the faq and I think I find this to be my problem:

Tips for specifying your Download Settings

File hosting sites often check all the settings for a download job and if they are not set correctly, the download job will either fail or just download a HTML page. If your download is failing or just returning a HTML page, one reason could be that your download job's download settings may not be correct. You can view and edit all download settings for a download job by clicking the Download Settings button in the Add Job dialog.

However, going to the download settings, I find no way to keep the file type from changing to- type: text/html , even when the file extention is .rar, it changes the file type to text/html.

I even unchecked the box next to - change file extentions so that files can be viewed locally, in the download settings.

Any help will be appreciated.

nashid

Brent
12-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Nashid,

Can you tell me what site you are downloading from? Also if you are able to post the url, can you give me the full download url I can try it out here.

However, going to the download settings, I find no way to keep the file type from changing to- type: text/html , even when the file extention is .rar, it changes the file type to text/html.

It is not possible to tell a download job what format to download a file in. The server decides what mime type to deliver the content as. What the FAQ is saying is if settings like, number of connections, user agent, referrer are not correct the server may deliver content back as html instead of the correct file type.

When you get a server that has given you html the best way to find out why is to open the html file that has been downloaded. For a file sharing site it may tell you why it has not downloaded the file with a message such as 'file no longer exists'. Another common reason is also that some file sharing servers does not like multiple connections if you are not a premium user. If the file sharing site is failing you should add a rule to only allow one connection to the server, do this under site rules in the options dialog.

Nashid
12-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Greetings Brent:

Can you tell me what site you are downloading from? Also if you are able to post the url, can you give me the full download url I can try it out here.

Trying to download from RapidShare using this url:
http://rapidshare.com/files/24038694/Excel_2007.part2.rar

When you get a server that has given you html the best way to find out why is to open the html file that has been downloaded.

I have attached the resulting html file. It is as thought DS is not logging in to my premium account.

For a file sharing site it may tell you why it has not downloaded the file with a message such as 'file no longer exists'.

Verified that I can download this file by just using browser downloading.

Another common reason is also that some file sharing servers does not like multiple connections if you are not a premium user. If the file sharing site is failing you should add a rule to only allow one connection to the server, do this under site rules in the options dialog.

Though I am using my premium account, I changed the rule to only allow one connection, but I get the same result.

Thanks for taking the time to help me on this.:)

Brent
12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi Nashid,

You are right, it looks like the cookie is not being read correctly by downloadstudio.

Can you tell me what browser and version of the browser you are using? (We should be reading cookies from IE, Firefox, and Opera)

Also can you verify that you have latest downloadstudio 5.1.2, and tell me what operating system you are using?

Please ensure you have direct downloads enabled in your rapidshare account.

Try re-logging into rapidshare again in your browser and then see if it will download correctly.

If it is still downloading a html file, I will try it out here using the same browser and operating system as you and see if it is working here.

Nashid
12-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Brent

Can you tell me what browser and version of the browser you are using? (We should be reading cookies from IE, Firefox, and Opera)

Up 'til now, I have been using firefox. After reading this post, I tested with IE, and Avant Browser. Here is what I found:

1. Using a saved list of verified download links, without launching any browser, just depending on DS to login to my premium account, the download is only the html page.
2. Clearing all cookies, then launching Firefox and manually logging in to my premium account and attempting to download verified links, only html is downloaded.
3. Cleared all cookies, launching IE, logging in to my premium account, then pasting verified download links into DS, and the download works.

As long as I manually login to my premium account and don't use Firefox, the downloads are ok.

Also, I was under the impression that DS could log in to my rapidshare acct as a stand alone app, not needing a browser.

Also can you verify that you have latest downloadstudio 5.1.2, and tell me what operating system you are using?

I am using version 5.1.2

Please ensure you have direct downloads enabled in your rapidshare account.

Direct downloads is enabled.

Try re-logging into rapidshare again in your browser and then see if it will download correctly.

Verified browser downloads in above mentioned browsers including Firefox.

I will use the IE manual login work-around for now. Don't burst your chops, on this one unless you just want to get to the bottom of this. I'm happy with the work-around.

nashid

Paul
12-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the extensive testing and report, Nashid. Its appreciated. We'll test Firefox here again and make sure that we're working with all web browsers in all situations.

Best regards,

Paul.