PDA

View Full Version : Any progress toward Clinet profile linked to MAC Address?

dpetr
03-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Dennis at Conceiva wrote recently "If the IP changes, then the profile will reset. We'll be looking into improving this in a future version (assigning profiles to a MAC, instead of IP)."

This particular problem (of IP changing) causes some pretty odd behavior. I thought I was having some hardware problems with the client but little did I know that the IP changed and became an IP for which I didn't have a profile, at least not on the client list. It managed to connect to Mezzmo but played nearly nothing except MP3's and some avi's even got transcoded... very odd. It would have been much better and saved me a lot of time had Mezzmo refused to recognize the device. I have Mezzmo set to allow no new devices, so this in theory should have been seen as a new device and shouldn't have been allowed a connection.

The bottom line is that I'd really like to see the clients tied to something other than a network variable. Any news on this proposed new feature would be appreciated. Thanks.

Paul
03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
We are working on this presently and once completed it will be included in an update for all registered users. We will also check that the "do not allow new devices to connect" checkbox in the Media Devices dialog is working correctly. Thanks for this feedback.

crazymonkey
04-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi,
this is related to the previous question. I'm using wireless repeater bridge and have Toshiba TV and Panasonic bluray BDT110 connected to it. While my main router which serves as DHCP server reports correct MAC addresses for those two devices, Mezzmo lists MAC address of the repeater bridge instead. Is this going to be resolved as well?
thanks,
Ivan

Paul
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi Ivan,

It appears that bridging is somehow changing the MAC address presented to the server. We'll be investigating this further.

jbcain
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Almost every dlna device now has the option for static IPs and I would encourage anyone with the option to utilize it. The propaganda behind it is that most routers now have QoS options and you can dial in your LAN connections to better suit our hobby, dlna.
Jon

crazymonkey
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes, that is a good idea. I have my dlna clients set that way, but unfortunately mezzmo is jumping for the mac address instead. It would be handy if this behavior is configurable. It would sort out my wireless repeater related problem easily.
Ivan