PDA

View Full Version : Media server detected after some time after 2.2.0.0 upgrade

sitedispatch
03-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Hi all.
Recently I have updated to 2.2.0.0 version from 2.1.12.0
With old versión, my devices (Wd Tv live and two samsung tv's) always detect the server Immediately at startup but since I did the upgrade I have to wait some minutes till the server is detected.
Is this a change of behavior? Is this configurable somehow?

Thanks

Rilian
03-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Same here, it seems to be a 'feature' of Mezzmo.

When viewed from a Samsung-C television, and a PC running XBMC, I get my media host's Windows 7 sharing detected instantly and always. However on the same playback devices, Mezzmo is detected....eventually. On a Yamaha RX amp, the Win7 source was picked up fine but it never saw Mezzmo at all until I gave the amp a static IP -and- added it manually to Mezzmo as a client.

Overall I think Mezzmo's not announcing itself quite correctly - it must be a Mezzmo problem as it's occurring across so many devices.

Paul
03-23-2011, 10:30 AM
We'll need to look into this - it should appear straight away. Is the server running when you turn the device on or do you turn the device on first and then start the server? Are IPs dynamic or static? Is it wired or wireless? Also, is it going through a router or a direct connection via a switch or cross-pair cable?

Rilian
03-25-2011, 08:26 AM
My situation is complicated enough that it may not help. However, despite the different software and different connectivity, the time to mezzmo appearance is the same; never instant, always within a couple of minutes, and in -every- case below, Win7 native streaming is just 'there', always.

The server computer (my main desktop) has been on for a couple of weeks with few reboots; I've changed backup provider and it's on a huge upload job. Mezzmo has been started and stopped a number of times but generally is always running.

Laptop running XBMC: Only tried wireless. Wireless AP is plugged into the same Gbit switch that the desktop is hard-wired into, the laptop is DHCP and the desktop is static. Same subnet, no routers involved. The router hangs off the switch and is not relevant to this discussion. The switches and powerline are permanently on. The other gadgets are only turned on when actually being watched and are otherwise in standby. I maintain high-bandwidth iSCSI networks at work and am fussy; the network appears to be completely stable.

The television and Yamaha receiver are different. The network goes from the desktop PC with wired Ethernet to a Gbit switch as mentioned above. From there to a 100Mhz homeplug adapter, rattles round the mains cable and pops out in the living room. In the living room a wired Ethernet cable goes from the homeplug to another Gbit switch of the same make as the first one. Plugged into the living room switch, all wired with static addresses, is the Samsung television, the Yamaha AV amp, and a TiVo.

I know it's a tangle but everything works a treat, including Mezzmo.... if I'm patient. All devices connect to the Win7 streaming on the desktop PC perfectly. The TV picks Mezzmo up after a delay. XBMC needs a larger delay. I don't use the amp much on the network as it can't FF or rewind or skip network media which makes it fairly useless. I wish Mezzmo has a rolodex-like pseudofolder where I could browse media under the 'start at 20%' folder path. That would fix the amp nicely.

In a while I may just run a long Ethernet cable dangled around the house. It's not popular or safe but is probably necessary to shake the bugs out of the Mezzmo connection.

sitedispatch
03-25-2011, 09:25 AM
We'll need to look into this - it should appear straight away. Is the server running when you turn the device on or do you turn the device on first and then start the server? Are IPs dynamic or static? Is it wired or wireless? Also, is it going through a router or a direct connection via a switch or cross-pair cable?

All ip's are static here and all network is cabled and the PC running mezzmo is 24/7 running. There are some switches but all network is included inside the same subnet (192.168.0.x)
I have replaced the MezzmoMediaServer.exe with the 2.1.12.0 version and the server is detected inmeditelly at Tv's and media player startup (or with 4 or 5 secs. delay) with 2.2.0.0 it's necessary to wait some minutes. I have noticed that if I stop and start the mediaserver service, the dlna server is detected instantly. Is there some kind of "keep alive" interval setting?

Paul
03-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Thank you for the additional information. Can you please confirm that it's .12 (not .13) that's detected quicker - I'm just asking because the previous released version was .13?

The default "keep-alive" interval is 15 minutes (same as WMP), but when a device is turned on it sends out a message that Mezzmo should be responding to and my guess is that's not happening correctly or in due time, thus Mezzmo is not there till the next network advertising broadcast.

sitedispatch
03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Thank you for the additional information. Can you please confirm that it's .12 (not .13) that's detected quicker - I'm just asking because the previous released version was .13?

The default "keep-alive" interval is 15 minutes (same as WMP), but when a device is turned on it sends out a message that Mezzmo should be responding to and my guess is that's not happening correctly or in due time, thus Mezzmo is not there till the next network advertising broadcast.

Yes, the version that's detected quicker is 2.1.12.0. I have never downloaded/installed the .13 version.

Paul
03-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks, we'll be looking into this.

Visor
03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Same thing is happening with my WD TV Live. The time it takes to find the Mezzmo service can take anywhere from 5 seconds to 5+ minutes, and it's completely random. I downgraded to .13 but the problem still occurs. Is there a link to .12 that I can access, as I want to see if I have the same success as sitedispatch.

Thanks,
Visor

Paul
03-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Please send a message to support and I'll send you a link to .12 to try.

Visor
03-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi Dennis,

I just installed .12 but the same problem occurs. My WD TV Live connects to the network and internet quickly and successfully; it just can't find Mezzmo unless I either wait a few minutes or restart the service (I have a .bat file on my desktop now because I do it so often :p)

Meanwhile, I just turned on my Windows 7 built-in media streaming server and my WD Live found it right away. Definitely something wonky going on with Mezzmo.

Thanks,
Visor

Paul
03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Hi,

Thank you for trying that out and confirming it's the same. That at least rules some things out for us.

Visor
03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, after turning off my WD TV Live for ~10 seconds and then turning on again, neither the Mezzmo more the WMP servers came up right away. I restarted the Mezzmo service, which made Mezzmo appear, but WMP remained missing for a few minutes. Hmm... okay, there may be something else afoot here.

I still don't understand that if my WD Live connects to the network/internet almost immediately, why it can't find the 2 media servers. This is for a wireless configuration; at one time I had a wired configuration and wasn't running into these problems. I don't want to go back to a wired solution unless I absolutely have to. :p

Paul
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the update. We're looking into what could possibly go wrong in this area.

smitbret
04-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Just posted my own topic on my PS3 not seeing the media server immediately. Same issues, sometimes upwards of 5+ minutes to see the media server, while my DirecTV boxes see it immediately. I'm also on the latest Mezzmo update. Where can I get the older version?

sionic
04-07-2011, 02:15 AM
I have a Samsung C series, and I find that I frequently have to restart the Mezzmo service before the tv finds the Media source.

2.2.0.0 is definitely not as good as previous versions for my TV :(

Paul
04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Hopefully 2.2.1 will be much better though :)

sionic
04-08-2011, 05:46 AM
i hope so too Dennis.

i managed to regress my version back to 2.1.11 and watched a 45 mins episode all the way through yesterday. And then today... not even 10 mins through a 30mins episode of Big bang theory!

i just want it to work!!

Paul
04-08-2011, 09:49 AM
The new version should be out really soon (maybe even today) and I believe it fixes those dropouts (as well as improves network detection of the server).

anupr
04-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I'm also facing the same problem. In my case my Sony KDL TV does not get detected at all, though it used to instantly, as soon as server is started.

-anup

Jason
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I can also confirm this behavior. I have both Mezzmo and Tversity running and my LG TV always sees Tversity however it can take up to ~ 3 min for my TV to finally find Mezzmo. This only occurs when I turn on the TV. Once it connects to Mezzmo, the connection is good.

Paul
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Please let us know how things work after the upgrade to 2.3.