PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded files have??? name and are in ??? folder and have wrong extension.

cassius
03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
I am running WinXP SP3. I set the folder and file name I wish to use and the default extension.

The downloaded file NEVER is put in the folder I specify. Sometimes it ends up in ...\local\Temp.

The file name I specify is never used, so often I cannot find the downloaded file.

The file extension is often .avi even though that was not the one specified in Downlooad Studio.

cassius
03-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I should have said that this only happens with videos. Other files download properly.

Peter
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
If you are downloading from a site such as YouTube, DownloadStudio parses the html page hosting the video to find the download url and the video title and changes the filename to the video title. There exists a problem in DownloadStudio 6.0.9 where a video will not be downloaded into the folder you specify in the Add Job Dialog if Auto Categorization is turned on. Can you provide an example url for us to test and try to reproduce the problem?

cassius
03-31-2011, 10:00 AM
If you are downloading from a site such as YouTube, DownloadStudio parses the html page hosting the video to find the download url and the video title and changes the filename to the video title. There exists a problem in DownloadStudio 6.0.9 where a video will not be downloaded into the folder you specify in the Add Job Dialog if Auto Categorization is turned on. Can you provide an example url for us to test and try to reproduce the problem?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, here is the URL of another video I tried to download:
http://joshspector.com/2011/03/29/theres-no-headline-that-does-this-video-justice/

I had several problems:
1) An error message that said
"My Documents\Downloads\Images\TiawanCycles.wmv failed"
2) The "Optimized profile" did not appear in the in the Media Profile dialog
3) Apparently nothing was saved.

Peter
03-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I was able to download that video by clicking the 'YouTube' icon on the bottom right corner of the video which took me to the original YouTube page, I copied the url from the address bar and added this to DownloadStudio and the video downloaded correctly.

I'm not sure what you mean by:
"2) The "Optimized profile" did not appear in the in the Media Profile dialog"

Could you please provide some more information about this problem?

cassius
04-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I was able to download that video by clicking the 'YouTube' icon on the bottom right corner of the video which took me to the original YouTube page, I copied the url from the address bar and added this to DownloadStudio and the video downloaded correctly.

I'm not sure what you mean by:
"2) The "Optimized profile" did not appear in the in the Media Profile dialog"

Could you please provide some more information about this problem?
--------------------------
1) When I say, The "Optimized profile" did not appear in the in the Media Profile dialog," I mean that it WASN'T THERE. As I recall, only profiles for mobile devices were included in the dialog.
2) Do you mean I have to hunt for the ORIGINAL web site in order for Download Studio to work properly?
3) When I have time, I'll try to download from a non-U-Tube site.

Peter
04-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I understand now, you are using DownloadStudio Audio/Video Capture.
1) The optimized profile you can use is the recommended 'DownloadStudio' profile at the top of the list, this is the highest quality profile.
2) To download the YouTube videos DownloadStudio can take the hosting webpage of the video on the YouTube site and download the video directly. DownloadStudio Audio/Video Capture does not need the original web site in order to record the video.
3) Using DownloadStudio Audio/Video Capture is not actually 'downloading' the video but is recording the video that is playing in your web browser, the video and audio streams are saved uncompressed in your local\temp folder as avi files. Once the recording completes the video streams are combined into the final wmv or avi file (depending upon the format you choose).