PDA

View Full Version : Catagories feature not what I expected

sparker366
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I have used several download managers and they all allowed me to assign a category manually to a download or group of downloads.

For example. Say I am on a shareware site and see an app for a file manager. I usually associate file managers as utility software so I would create a category called utility and assign a directory like e:/downloads/utilities. So when I select that file to download I would like to assign it to that category instead of assigning it to a general category like software and then having download studio assign a sub category based on the site.

Managers like Internet Download Manager FlasheGet allowed me to do this but I had issues with them. So far I like Download studio but would like the ability to assign categories like I described. I guess I could get around that by just having the default download folder set to my download folder then browse to select the sub directory under it based on the type of file that I am downloading.

Peter
05-03-2011, 11:16 AM
It is possible to add a download job to a category from the Add Job Dialog by going to 'Download Settings...->Category Settings' and 'Add...' a category. When the job downloads it will appear in this category. You can add one or more categories to this list.

It is not currently possible to group select download jobs and add them to a category but we will consider adding this to the next version of DownloadStudio.

sparker366
05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
It is possible to add a download job to a category from the Add Job Dialog by going to 'Download Settings...->Category Settings' and 'Add...' a category. When the job downloads it will appear in this category. You can add one or more categories to this list.

It is not currently possible to group select download jobs and add them to a category but we will consider adding this to the next version of DownloadStudio.

What I am saying is I am used to categories being used to put files in certain directories based on the type of program and not used to group file extensions into certain general directories.

What I am getting at is I would like to be able to create categories based on the type of program (ie text editor program would go to applications category, video editor program would go to graphics-video category, registry editor would go to a utilities category and so forth) I am I downloading so that they will go into the proper subdirectories under E:\downloads on my hard drive.

I hope I made myself clear in this. You could very well do both with a simple flag to either enable file types for categories or not enable file types for categories and in the download wizard or expert box just allow us to select the category for the file we are downloading or be able to create an new one.

This does sound like a bit more involved programing on your part but would make categories more flexible for those of us that are used to what I am describing.

Peter
05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
It makes sense to allow users to select a category and/or subcategory from the wizard or expert dialog, we will add this to the list of possible changes for DownloadStudio 7.