PDA

View Full Version : Full on 64bit Version

armstrn2
05-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Since almost all new OS's are 64bit shouldn't we have a 64bit version of the software, Mezzmo runs fine as a 32bit app within Windows 2008r2 - but that fact that it is running in emulation mode means it's less efficient than it could be.

So is there anyone else out there that would like a proper x64 version ?

Paul
05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
We'll consider this for a future version. Basically the most CPU intensive processes are scanning files and transcoding and these would benefit from native 64-bit the most, I believe. With transcoding - it's possible to compile a 64-bit of FFmpeg and use that instead of the stock one.

kitsunegari
09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Is it really just a consideration, rather than a focal point of development and planned move?

Paul
09-15-2011, 08:25 AM
We have several important features for Mezzmo that are higher priority. After all these are completed, then a 64-bit version will be considered.

kitsunegari
09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Do you have any kind of roadmap you could publicise? I realise its often hard to have something like that, but vague and obviously non-binding information?

Paul
09-16-2011, 08:33 AM
As far as major features go, first it'll be pre-transcoding and then burn-in subtitles along with being able to choose which video/audio/subtitle tracks to play on your device. That's pretty much as precise as we can be :)

itsmydamnation
09-16-2011, 10:48 AM
As far as major features go, first it'll be pre-transcoding and then burn-in subtitles along with being able to choose which video/audio/subtitle tracks to play on your device. That's pretty much as precise as we can be :)

my personal opinion is :
1. video/audio/subtitle
2. burn-in subtitles
3. pre-transcoding

but thats because from what i can see samsung have by far the best support when it comes to file types.

MertonKnight
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
With transcoding - it's possible to compile a 64-bit of FFmpeg and use that instead of the stock one.

I gave this a try and can verify this does work and gave me a 10% performance boost transcoding videos. All I had to do was get the latest ffmpeg Windows executable here:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Download the latest version under "64-bit Builds (Static)". Extract the ffmpeg.exe file in the archive and overwrite the C:\Program Files (x86)\Conceiva\Mezzmo\ffmpeg.exe with this file.

This probably isn't supported by Conceiva but so far I haven't had any issues.

Dion
06-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I gave this a try and can verify this does work and gave me a 10% performance boost transcoding videos. All I had to do was get the latest ffmpeg Windows executable here:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Download the latest version under "64-bit Builds (Static)". Extract the ffmpeg.exe file in the archive and overwrite the C:\Program Files (x86)\Conceiva\Mezzmo\ffmpeg.exe with this file.

This probably isn't supported by Conceiva but so far I haven't had any issues.

This is the only benefit that would come from a 64bit app. But it doesn't require mezzmo to be 64bit. Don't see a reason to make Mezzmo 64 bit any time soon.

JohnM
06-17-2012, 03:14 AM
If you want to test it out you should not overwrite the default ffmpeg. Just change the version you are pointing to in the transcoding settings window. (That way you can change it back easily).

scottier
02-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Well it's now 2013 any change on the status of a native 64bit Mezzmo yet. I understand the benefits are trans-coding and file scanning, but as everyone's media collections are growing ever larger it is now becoming more of a need. Personally if have to rebuild my library for what ever reason it takes 2 days just due to the amount of media. I am already using the 64bit ffmpeg with no issue but the speeding up of folder scanning would be nice.

Paul
02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
We don't have immediate plans for a 64-bit version, but it certainly remains a possible future development task for us. Thanks for the bump on this.

RonB
04-28-2022, 05:24 AM
Ran into this thread, and was just curious if this is still being considered?

Seems like it might speed things up a bit.

Peter
04-28-2022, 08:05 AM
There are no plans at the current time to release a 64-bit version of Mezzmo.