PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Mezzmo and TwonkyServer

kenwilko
06-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Hi, I am currently evaluating both Mezzmo and Twonkyserver to run on Sony Bravia and Panasonic Viera TVs also Roberts Stream 83i. My main requirements are music and photo streaming, not too concerned about video at the moment.

I have found that both servers stream fine to all three devices and both have their plus and minuses.

Interface - Mezzmo is far superior. Music files can be organised to a far greater depth than with Twonkymedia. Interestingly though I have not found a way of creating a artist index that displays the artist name first on the devices, comes up with song title which is not what I want so Twonky wins that one.

Where I have a major problem and possibly a Mezzmo showstopper is with photos. My requirement is to be able to display photos by date or by keywords (exif tags) which gives me the ability to sort and display for example all photos that have keywords for location, persons name etc. Twonky does have this ability but I cannot see anyway of doing this in Mezzmo. Even Twonky has a problem with photo dates prior to 1970.

So now I'm torn, Mezzmo interface great for music but virtually non existant for Photos. Twonky poor interface but superior for photos.

Yes I can run both servers depending on what I want to stream but would rather not do that. If possible I would like to know is there any plans to include keywords for photo streaming and if so when are they likely to implemented.

Regards
Ken

hartlenb
06-06-2011, 01:28 AM
...If possible I would like to know is there any plans to include keywords for photo streaming and if so when are they likely to implemented.Back in Jan the answer was maybe sometime in the future (http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1090-Additional-Smart-Playlist-Tags-for-Photos?highlight=exif)....

Paul
06-06-2011, 10:07 AM
It's still on the development to-do list. I'll see if I can bump this up in priority a bit :)

kenwilko
06-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks Dennis, that would be great. I'm sure you have looked at Twonky so you will probably be aware that it can interpret tag lists from Picasa and Windows live Photo Gallery and others I guess and convert them into dynamic lists so it does not require the user to create playlists. I'm hoping that is the approach you guys will be taking.

Thanks again

Ken

Paul
06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Yes, I believe it'll be along those lines as well, but I'll add a note to test Picasa tags as well (to make sure we can read them in along with Windows' tags).