PDA

View Full Version : How does Mezzmo use metadata ?

Grundfuttock
06-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Hi,

Is there a list somewhere of what metadata Mezzmo uses in different circumstances ?

For example, which fields are used for the date of a photo (and if more than one is present, what takes priority) ?

I'm not too concerned about video, mainly pictures and music (bigger collections).

I have my photos (mostly) organised using PSE8. This is pretty cavalier regarding metadata handling and I'd like to use a 3rd party tool to sort them all out. I only want to do this once so it'd be good to understand how Mezzmo uses the metadata. Simlilarly for music.

Rgds,
Geoff

Paul
06-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi Geoff,

There's no "official" list of tags that Mezzmo reads in, but I can tell which tags we read in if you can give me a list of information you're interested in (e.g. date, etc...) - or I can post everything :)

Grundfuttock
06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Dennis,
My main interest at the moment is for photos. Music tags seem pretty much under control and I don't have a huge video collection yet.

For photos the main areas of interest are :-

Date and Time
IPTC Keywords

Cheers,
Geoff

Paul
06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Date and time are read first from EXIF and then IPTC (if not found), the order is DateTime, DateTimeCreated, DateTimeOriginal. The only other IPTC tags that are read are Author and Caption.

Grundfuttock
06-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks Dennis. It seems that using Photoshop Elements organiser most of my photos are indexed on DateTimeOriginal. This isn't a fault in Mezzmo, just a nuisance (BTW, MS Media Player seems to display my photos in date order - must use DateTimeOriginal).

Regarding keywords, I think this is an important missing feature from Mezzmo. It'd be nice if they were exposed. Again, MS MediaPlayer, allows this. I've seen requests for keyword access for video too.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Paul
06-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes, we'll be adding keywords to photos soon. I'll re-check the order of tags as well and perhaps move DateTimeOriginal higher in priority list, as it seems to make sense.