PDA

View Full Version : Are either of these Blu-Ray players supported by Mezzmo?

kitem
06-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I have done lots of searches on the forum and Google and came up with nothing. I am trying to figure out if either of these Blu-ray players will talk to Mezzmo and stream MP4 files.

Panasonic DMP-BD75

Samsung BD-D5250C

If both actually work with Mezzmo, I would like to know which player would be the best choice for use with Mezzmo.

I have a Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-ray player that won't work with Mezzmo because it doesn't support UpNp.

Paul
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Both of those players support DLNA (at least going by what their specs say), so they should both work with Mezzmo. Panasonic doesn't support AAC, WMA and WMV files (although Mezzmo can transcode these for you), so if you have lots of those, I'd go with Samsung.

kitem
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks Dennis. I will probably try the Samsung BD-D5250C, but I am still hesitant. DLNA doesn't seem to be the issue here since my current Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-ray supports DLNA and streams my MP4 files direct from my PC...it just doesn't work with Mezzmo (I guess because it doesn't support UpNp). I would expect that the Samsung BD-D5250C would stream from my PC just fine without Mezzmo since it is a DLNA device, but I am interested to know if it will work with Mezzmo. Hopefully someone who has this Blu-ray player (Samsung BD-D5250C) can verify that Mezzmo works with it.

Paul
06-17-2011, 12:42 PM
DLNA and UPnP go hand in hand - DLNA is basically built on top of UPnP. If your current BDP supports DLNA, then Mezzmo should work with it.

Can you see Mezzmo server on it or not all? How do you stream MP4 files to it now - what software on the PC do you use?

kitem
06-17-2011, 01:00 PM
OK, that seems to makes sense. When I requested help directly from support last week, the person implied that my current Samsung BD-P3600 wouldn't work witl Mezzmo. I looked back at the e-mails just now, it was implied that Mezzmo wouldn't work because it didn't support DLNA...which isn't true. My original question was this: "The other question I have is how to setup my Samsung BD P3600 Blu-ray player with Mezzmo. I already successfully use the DNLA capabilities to stream from the PC to the Samsung, but I can't figure out what settings on the Samsung should be set to see the Mezzmo server. Any help is appreciated. Also, Zone Alarm is set to allow the Mezzmo.exe"

To answer your current question, I either use the network search or enter in the IP address of my PC on the Samsung and it reads from a shared folder (on the PC) which contains all of my movies. I am not sure how to introdce Mezzmo into the mix.

Paul
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I'll need to check the technical specs of the BD-P3600 to confirm whether it supports DLNA or not. Does it say DLNA anywhere?

kitem
06-17-2011, 01:19 PM
The support person who helped me was named Adric. He said that he checked the manual and it looked like it didn't support DLNA. It does "PC Streaming", but maybe it doesn't do it via DLNA. That might be the issue. Here is a link that shows the PC streaming setup:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=26 66&prd_ia_cd=N0000071&map_seq=10751&regDt=20091030124105&page_gb=D&model_name=BD-P3600&type_ia_cd=N0000070&subtype_ia_cd=N0000071&row_index=2

If my current Samsung (3600) doesn't support DLNA, that is OK since the Samsung 5250 I am looking at does say DLNA on the box. So, it looks like the 5250 would work with Mezzmo.

Paul
06-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes, the manual doesn't mention DLNA anywhere, so I'd say your player does not support DLNA.

kitem
06-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks Dennis. I plan on setting up the Samsung 5250 this weekend. I will let you know how it works out. Thank you again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated!