PDA

View Full Version : Can you share DLNA devices using Mezzmo

JoelG
06-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi,

I've got a wired home network with one DLNA TV upstairs and one downstairs and was planning to install Mezzmo on my Win 7 PC so it can act as the main DLNA media server.

If I purchase a DLNA Blu-ray player would it be possible to share the Blu-ray player between the two TV's (I note the NMSS feature can be used to link DLNA servers but I presume the Blu-ray player would not be a DLNA server) ?

Would one option be to install a Blu-ray player in the PC and then use Mezzmo to stream the content to the TV's ?

I presume if a Blu-ray player is installed on the PC then I'd lose features like the Blu-ray player being able to upscale DVDs ?

Thanks for your time,
Joel Gordon.

smitbret
06-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't think I am understanding. Why would you install a BR player on a PC, even if it were possible? Why not just get a BR drive and put that in the computer?

JoelG
06-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Sorry, that's what I meant - install a BR drive in the computer and then use Mezzmo to stream the content to the TV's.

Paul
06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Regarding streaming from a BR drive installed in your PC - most likely it's not possible, since the format of the disk is complex and you won't be able to just stream it as a single movie (same goes for DVDs, but at least there you can stream VOBs).

If your stand-alone BR player is a DLNA server (some are), then this can be added to Mezzmo and files from it could be added to Mezzmo and then stream to other devices (NMSS).

randombox
08-24-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi Dennis,
How does Mezzmo handle the DRM/Copyright issues that may arise from such a configuration?
I surmise that the final DigitalRightsManagement is the responsibility of the BD (w/DLNA) hardware manufacturer, but it would be interesting to understand the caveats here, as a user.
I don't think what JoelG is proposing to achieve is anything illegal (Fair Use) but I am certain that the Media Moguls (aka Hoolig*nB*st*rds) think otherwise! :eek:

Paul
08-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi,

If the contents is DRMed, then Mezzmo will not be able to transcode it. It will be able to stream natively to the device, if the device supports that content and then it's up to the device to negotiate the rights management within the network. Most likely this fail and you won't be able to play that contents (since there's no HDMI connection between the player and the TV when going through this route).