PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo transcoding when it shouldn't - when used with DLNA DMC controllers

TVsoundguy
07-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Hi Dennis,

I've got Mezzmo 2.3.2.0 trial running on an i3-540 - Windows 7 Home Premium - SP1.

When I browse Mezzmo shares from a DLNA player, such as WDTV Live or XBMC (Windows) running on another PC, Mezzmo serves up the files natively, without any transcoding or remuxing, as it should, since these players can handle these test files natively.

However, when I use a DLNA DMC controller app on the iPhone or Android tablet, such as those listed below, to push a file to the WDTV or XBMC (being used as a DLNA renderer in this case), Mezzmo transcodes the files that the renderers would otherwise play natively when used as a player. It appears that Mezzmo thinks it needs to transcode to a format compatible with the iPhone or Android, when in reality, it should just pass the file along to the renderer, untouched.

iPhone apps tested:
PlugPlayer (very slow and unreliable with PlugPlayer in particular, IMO the best DLNA app for the iPhone)
Media:Connect
Eyecon Troller
SmartStor Fusion Stream
ZappoTV
LivingMediaPlayer
ThreeSums Lite

Android apps tested:
UPnPlay
Skifta
Twonky
AndroMote
Eyecon Troller
Sitecom aMedia Control
SharkMote Free

Is there a way to get Mezzmo to adhere to the proper device profile of the appropriate renderer when used in conjunction with a controller, while still retaining the ability to transcode to iPhone- or Android-friendly formats when using those apps as a player (and not a controller)? Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Chris

Paul
07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Chris,

Mezzmo will try and match incoming requests from a device with a device profile using an IP and a MAC address, so if a DMC request is coming in as an already existing device profile (iPhone/Android), then file listings will be delivered in the format specified by that device profile.

We'll test using Mezzmo with DMC applications here and see if there's a way for us to distinguish between DMP and DMC requests coming in from the same device.

TVsoundguy
07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi Dennis,

Help me get a better understanding of the protocol, if you would. Does the DMC (PlugPlayer et al) tell the DMS (Mezzmo) to send a stream to the DMR (WDTV Live or XBMC), or is it the other way around, i.e., the DMC tells the DMR to request a stream from the DMS?

Either way, I'd expect Mezzmo to know that it's streaming a file to a particular DMR, use the appropriate device profile, and transcode (or not) accordingly, no?

Having a fairly solid selection of UPnP/DLNA apps on iOS and Android platforms, I'd be happy to test anything you might suggest.

Thanks,
Chris

Paul
07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Chris,

The DMC tells the DMP (or DMR) to request a stream from DMS. So, let's say I'm using Galaxy Tab as a DMC - I select a file from Mezzmo and say that I want to play on the Sony Bravia. From Mezzmo's point of view, a request is coming from the Bravia directly, so it transcodes and sends the file according to the Sony Bravia device profile, not Galaxy Tab one.