PDA

View Full Version : Always transcode to a particular device?

badbob001
07-15-2011, 10:04 PM
How would I set mezzmo to always transcode for certain devices? I just want a consistent experience where all media can play and I can fast forward.

badbob001
07-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Does this do it? For each Device Setting > Advanced:
Deliver media files supported by the device: Never Deliver
Deliver media files partly supported by the device: Never Deliver
The rest at the default: Automatic Delivery

Paul
07-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Yes, you could do it that way. However, disabling the second option will stop remuxing and will cause a full transcode of all files (which is a lot slower of course).

Ideally, we should have our device profile do this for you of course. What sort of files are failing to play (and on what device)?

badbob001
07-18-2011, 11:17 PM
The reason I'm forcing full transcoding is because I want fast forwarding to always work. I don't know why it doesn't normally work for untranscoded media. Perhaps because it's mkv? Maybe mezzmo needs an option to lie about the file extension, if that is even relevant. I'm on the Samsung B profile.

Paul
07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Most devices do not care about file extensions, it's mostly about mime types and other description tags.

If I understand correctly, your TV doesn't allow FF/REW for MKV files, but once Mezzmo transcodes, it lets you do that? I've seen something like this happening on some files that we have here on somer particular devices, so it wouldn't surprise me. It's just the way the firmware player is implemented.

smitbret
07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Does this do it? For each Device Setting > Advanced:
Deliver media files supported by the device: Never Deliver
Deliver media files partly supported by the device: Never Deliver
The rest at the default: Automatic Delivery

So, Dennis, if I'm reading this correct, there's a way to turn off transcoding, but leave remuxing on? I have always assumed that everything was just a complete transcode. It would be useful if I could just automatically remux .mkv files using Mezzmo instead of having to do that manually after every BR rip. Why would I not be able to FFW/Rew with a remux but I could with a full transcode?

Paul
07-21-2011, 09:10 AM
No, not really - there's no way to just leave remuxing on. Mezzmo will try to remux as much as it can, based on the file and the device profile used, so that sort of works automatically (unless you turn that off via the Advanced settings - it's the "partly supported" one).

When remuxing, Mezzmo will copy the video stream from the original file, so if that stream doesn't contain information needed by the device to FF/REW, then the resulting file will not have that information either, and thus you won't have those functions. A full transcode will write that information into a new file.

smitbret
07-24-2011, 02:19 AM
No, not really - there's no way to just leave remuxing on. Mezzmo will try to remux as much as it can, based on the file and the device profile used, so that sort of works automatically (unless you turn that off via the Advanced settings - it's the "partly supported" one).

When remuxing, Mezzmo will copy the video stream from the original file, so if that stream doesn't contain information needed by the device to FF/REW, then the resulting file will not have that information either, and thus you won't have those functions. A full transcode will write that information into a new file.

I've been ripping my BRs with AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV and then remuxing with tsMuxer to an .m2ts wihtout transcoding anything, leaving me with an .h264 and 5.1 channel AC3 hat are compliant with the PS3. So, I can assume that the original .mkv files would just be remuxed rather than transcoded and that I really don't need to be remuxing to avoid a full transcode? I have no trouble FF/Rew the .m2ts files.

Paul
07-25-2011, 09:01 AM
I've been ripping my BRs with AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV and then remuxing with tsMuxer to an .m2ts wihtout transcoding anything, leaving me with an .h264 and 5.1 channel AC3 hat are compliant with the PS3. So, I can assume that the original .mkv files would just be remuxed rather than transcoded
If the original MKV's video/audio tracks fall within what's specified by the device profile, then yes, they'll just be remuxed.

and that I really don't need to be remuxing to avoid a full transcode? I have no trouble FF/Rew the .m2ts files.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here. A full transcode is triggered when a stream is not compatible or when the remuxing fails (which can happen as well).

It all also depends on the actual profile used, e.g. the "Compatible" PS3 profile will transcode more than just the "PS3" one.

smitbret
07-26-2011, 12:53 PM
If the original MKV's video/audio tracks fall within what's specified by the device profile, then yes, they'll just be remuxed.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here. A full transcode is triggered when a stream is not compatible or when the remuxing fails (which can happen as well).

It all also depends on the actual profile used, e.g. the "Compatible" PS3 profile will transcode more than just the "PS3" one.

I rip my BR discs with AnyDVD and MakeMKV. I avoid transcoding as much as possible, so to make them PS3 compatible I remux the .mkv files into .m2ts files before adding them to my media library. However, if Mezzmo is just remuxing the .mkv file (and not transcoding anything), then I could just skip this step and see very little loss in performance and no loss in video and audio quality.

Paul
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, if the video stream in the MKV is compatible with the device profile, then Mezzmo will remux those files for you, so you don't have to do it.