PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

kitsunegari
07-30-2011, 12:02 AM
1) Is there any chance you could update the FAQ with a required spec for full hd transcoding hardware (including network speed, eg is 10/100 wired sufficient streaming capability)?

2) With the pre-transcoding feature incoming, will you be able to watch files that are pre-transcoding (eg you pre-transcode the first 15% of a file and then start watching it?) or will the entire file have to be pre-transcoded.

3) Will the pre-transcode feature contain any sort of "intelligent" history? Eg if you've pre-transcoded something can certain parts of it be remembered so that it doesn't take as long next time, and done in some fiendishly clever way so that the entire transcode doesn't have to be stored? (I realise this is a supremely difficult technical challenge and not really appropriate to the software but would be awesome if you can do it :p)

4) Any idea when the new version is slated for release/testing?

Paul
08-01-2011, 08:56 AM
1) Is there any chance you could update the FAQ with a required spec for full hd transcoding hardware (including network speed, eg is 10/100 wired sufficient streaming capability)?

Do you mean this section - http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/faqs.asp ? It seems to be up-to-date CPU-wise, but we'll add a section on networks, thanks for pointing that out! Regarding network speed - you could stream HD via wireless N (if the network condition is very good, e.g. full signal and decent bandwidth) and a wired 100 is plenty (haven't seen 10 in a while now!).

2) With the pre-transcoding feature incoming, will you be able to watch files that are pre-transcoding (eg you pre-transcode the first 15% of a file and then start watching it?) or will the entire file have to be pre-transcoded.

Yes, you could start watching at any stage during pre-transcoding, definitely.

3) Will the pre-transcode feature contain any sort of "intelligent" history? Eg if you've pre-transcoded something can certain parts of it be remembered so that it doesn't take as long next time, and done in some fiendishly clever way so that the entire transcode doesn't have to be stored? (I realise this is a supremely difficult technical challenge and not really appropriate to the software but would be awesome if you can do it :p)

Not sure I understand what you mean here :) Pre-transcoding will be cached, so you won't have to transcode that file again, provided you have sufficient disk space.

4) Any idea when the new version is slated for release/testing?
At this stage I'd say 4-6 weeks, but don't quote me on that ;)

kitsunegari
08-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Cheers for the replies Dennis;

1) I meant more the network speeds required yes, I've got a Gigabit network, but my TV (Sony Bravia) has a 10/100 card, I'm presuming this is more than sufficient but just wanted it confirmed in the Specs list.

2) Awesome.

3) How much space is required for a transcode? Obviously each is different size so its hard to say but taking a 10GB .mkv as an example?

4) fingers crossed!

Paul
08-03-2011, 08:53 AM
3) How much space is required for a transcode? Obviously each is different size so its hard to say but taking a 10GB .mkv as an example?

This depends on the actual file, as you correctly noted and also on the device and the device profile (which determines the output format). If we're just remuxing to a different container, then the size will be similar to the original. If we're doing a full transcode, it really depends on the original and output encodings - it can grow up to 2-3 times or can shrink the same :) In case of MKVs, which more often than not have an h264 stream, I'd say the output file will likely grow.

Paul
01-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.5 has been released and it includes the 'pre-transcoding' features that have been discussed in this thread.