PDA

View Full Version : A Guide to Chaptering on Samsung TVs

Gus
08-15-2011, 11:02 PM
A Guide to Chaptering on Samsung TVs

Edit: Sep 9th 2011. From Mezzmo version 2.4.3 Auto Chaptering is now supported, in realtime. This means that by default 15min chapter points will be added on devices that support them. You can customise the default chapter length and the default thumbnail by editing the profile file (.prf). You can still use the guide below to add .MTA files if you want custom chapters or images on a per-file basis.

Samsung introduced Media Chaptering in some of their 2010 sets, C series and above. Unfortunately it's a bit of a mystery which TVs support Chaptering, you will need to check with a local USB video file.
This means that by pressing the center button on your remote control (or pressing the Tools button and selecting Chapter Search onscreen), you can access chapter points and jump to later parts of your video. This is far better than using the FF feature which can be quite time consuming. Until recently, this useful feature has only been available for users of the Samsung DLNA Server (PC Share Manager) or local USB media. At this time, no other DLNA server supports Chaptering except Mezzmo.

Mezzmo now supports chapter points for your video files and these can be customised for your time points and also your own thumbnail images to be shown onscreen.

To use Chaptering on your Samsung TV, you will need an .MTA file for each of your video files. The filename of the .MTA needs to be the same name as your video. For example:

video_filename.mkv
video_filename.mta

There is a basic .MTA file attached below which you can use, you will need to unzip it first. It contains 8 chapter points split into 15minute segments and all have a black thumbnail. All you need to do is rename the .MTA file and save it in the same folder as your video file.

The content of .MTA file is not unique to each video, so the same .MTA file can be copied as many times as you like for all your videos. Only the filename needs to be changed.
Once the files are saved, you need to run 'Maintain Library' in Mezzmo and they will be added to the database. To save time, you only need to select Video files and also select 'Only update files with missing information'.

After this is done, you can press the center button on your remote control (or press the Tools button and select Chapter Search onscreen) while playing a video and you will see the 15minute chapter points and also black thumbnails.

See post#2 below for advanced users who want to edit/create their own .MTA files for custom chapter times or custom thumbnail images.

If you get stuck, just post a question here.

Cheers

Gus

Thanks should go to Dennis and all the Mezzmo team at Conceiva who do a great job with this product and respond daily to requests like this Chaptering feature. As far as I know, Mezzmo is the only DLNA server (except Samsung's Share Manager) to support FF/REW, Resume and now Chaptering. So thank you.

Gus
08-15-2011, 11:02 PM
For advanced users who want to create/edit their own .MTA files, here is a quick guide...

The .MTA files are basic text files with XML formatting. They can be edited with any regular text editor. I would suggest Notepad however this tends to do funny things with filenames and adds .TXT whenever it likes and don't get me started on CR/LF :-)
So i would recommend Notepad2 as a decent text editor, you can download it at http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

After you load Notepad2 and the .MTA file. You will see each chapter data between the tags:

<ChapterSegment>
</ChapterSegment>

The chapter time stamps are in the <MediaTime> tags. For example:

<MediaTime timePoint="900"/>

The number in quotes is the seconds timeline, in this example a chapter point at minute 15. You will then see each chapter point increase by 900 seconds.

The thumbnail images are in the <InlineMedia> tags. For example:

<InlineMedia>/9j/4AAQSk.........//Z</InlineMedia>

The data inside the tags are JPG files with base64 encoding and all have a basic black image at the moment.
To decode base64 --> JPG. Visit this site: http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/dotnet/tools/base64decode/
Or to make your own thumbnails, you will need to encode a standard JPG file to base64.
To encode JPG --> base64. Visit this site: http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/dotnet/tools/base64encode/

The native resolution of a Chapter Thumbnail is 110x80.

To add/remove your own entire chapter points, just remove or replicate the full tag contents of:

<ChapterSegment>
</ChapterSegment>

If you get stuck, just post a question here.

Cheers

Gus

Urza
08-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Thanks for all your work on this Gusnor, it is really appreciated!

I'm having trouble getting this to work with my setup. Is it compatible with the Samsung C580 range? My LE40C580 has the latest firmware.

I have used Samsung PCSM 4.1 to create .mta files for some of my movies, and then ran a maintenance update on Mezzmo to re-scan the folders with the movies and their .mtas in them, but it makes no difference. If I press the centre button on my Samsung Remote, it just pauses the movie. If I try to use the << and >> buttons, I get the message 'Function Not Available'.

Another thing I have noticed is that Samsung PCSM 4.1 creates .mta files in the following format:

video_filename.mkv
video_filename.mkv.mta

Whereas above you suggest:

video_filename.mkv
video_filename.mta

Will this make a difference to Mezzmo picking the .mta file up?

Gus
08-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Now i'm a little confused. perhaps the C580 uses chapters slightly differently to my C650. Have you tried an MKV file via a USB stick or HDD ? just to make sure the C580 series TVs support Chaptering. I expect you have already. Or at least used PCSM to check Chaptering works on your TV.

All i can suggest is go ahead and try renaming the .MTA file as you have seen PCSM create it, run a maintenance and report back.
cheers

Gus

Urza
08-16-2011, 12:58 AM
I'll give it a go via USB Stick tonight and let you know how I get on!

Thanks again,

Urza

Urza
08-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately it looks like it won't work on my C580 - I have tried via USB and over PCSM and I'm unable to skip forwards or backwards.
When played via local USB stick I can 'scan' forwards and backwards, but I can't skip forward in chunks as I should be able to with Chaptering :(

Its particularly annoying as its a C-Series TV and so should work..

Paul
08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the great guide - I'm sure it'll help a lot of people!

Some Samsung devices do not support chaptering - we have several here in the office and they don't support chaptering (C-series mostly) at all.

fastbuck
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
great, works on my samsung ue40c6000. tried to do 16 chapter points but it just did show the eight ones of the example. i've copied them and added 900 seconds to each one, maybe i did something wrong. or does it just support up to 8 chapters?

Gus
08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
great, works on my samsung ue40c6000. tried to do 16 chapter points but it just did show the eight ones of the example. i've copied them and added 900 seconds to each one, maybe i did something wrong. or does it just support up to 8 chapters?

not sure of the limits, i would think there is a limit, i will try 9 when i get a minute. I take it the video file you were testing was actually long enough to support 16 chapter points of 900 seconds?

Paul
08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
If anyone is interested in beta-testing our new auto-chaptering feature, please e-mail support asking for a patch that supports this.

Please make sure that your device supports chaptering first though, using Gus' .mta file and Mezzmo 2.4.2 :)

caprigo
09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Hi,
I've just purchased 2 Samsung sets (UE40D7000 and UE56D7000 in the UK) and embarked on a project to digitise all of my DVD collection (about 400 disks). Seemed the best idea was to digitise to a single VOB using a product called DVDFab - the support department recommended the VOB format as I would just get 1 VOB file out of the ripper. On these latest Samsung sets, there seemed no way of fast forward or rewind, simply a play and pause option. When you click on the centre button of the remote, you get the "Tools" menu displayed on the bottom of the screen (or if you press the Tools button on the remote). You also see an info slider on the top of the screen which you cannot get into. The file in this thread to test for Auto-Chaptering didn't seem to work. The select chapter option on the Tools menu gives you a count of the number of files in the folder you are using.
I found a solution by ripping the DVD into a MK4 format which produced a single ripped file with a ".idx" and ".sub" file. [I used the "remux" option on the profile setting to get a full quality file in the DVDFab product]. The Samsung firmware seems happier with this and in the Tools menus there is a "Stopwatch" icon that supports a timed search through the movie. Also, pressing the left and right arrows on the centre of the remote jumps the movie forwards and backwards.
Recently, the latest version of DVDFab now produces the ".idx" and ".sub" files with a VOB compression output. However, the Samsung firmware doesn't seem to recognise this in the same way as it does MKV format (the stopwatch icon is greyed out).
It would be nice to get a chapter selection as well as the FF/RW which seems to work on these sets with MKV format - hope this helps anyone going through the hoops that I did!

itsmydamnation
09-04-2011, 10:48 PM
If anyone is interested in beta-testing our new auto-chaptering feature, please e-mail support asking for a patch that supports this.

Please make sure that your device supports chaptering first though, using Gus' .mta file and Mezzmo 2.4.2 :)

just want to let people know that i found the easiest way to test if your PC supports chaptering is to download Samsung PC share manger 4.1 (4.2 doesn't support chaptering).

Also i couldn't get mezzmo to update its DB and add the chaptering for existing files, i had to add some new video files and create the mta files before adding them to mezzmo.

here is a link for 4.1
http://www.mediafire.com/?ggsfkfeh067xaux
credit for the link goes to:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/forums/forum/879957/topic/3708596?perpage=50

i would love to beta test your auto chapter gen!!!

my tv is a PS50C6500

regards!

Paul
09-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Please contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we can provide it to you. Other beta testers have reported it is working well, so we will be making it available shortly to all registered users in the next minor update that we are now testing.

itsmydamnation
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Please contact us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com and we can provide it to you. Other beta testers have reported it is working well, so we will be making it available shortly to all registered users in the next minor update that we are now testing.

sent request, but no love as of yet :(

Paul
09-06-2011, 02:57 PM
sent request, but no love as of yet :(
Can you please tell me when you sent the request in, as we don't have any outstanding requests for testing chaptering at the moment.

itsmydamnation
09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
i sent it @ 4.09pm AEST 5th of sept (gmt +10) to Support (AT) conceiva (DOT) com from * (AT) internode (dot) on (dot) net

Paul
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
If your name starts with an "A", then we replied approximately 6 hours ago. Please check your junk/spam folders to make sure it didn't end up there.

itsmydamnation
09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
appears my isp is doing an email upgrade, i can see the email in webmail but not on my client.
cheers

do i need to do anything for the chaptering? are there any controls for it, intervals etc?

Paul
09-09-2011, 03:37 PM
The just-released v2.4.3 now has auto-chaptering built-in. You can manually change the chapter duration from the default 15 minutes via a device profile change. It's also possible to change the default icon, if you don't like it.

If you have existing .mta files, they'll take precedence, but if you don't, then Mezzmo will still tell the device to enable chapters (provided your device supports them in the first place).

Rilian
09-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Could you please explain how to do the profile change? This feature is GREAT and works very well on my Samsung C650 television. I've found the directory C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles but it contains 'SamsungB', 'SamsungD', and 'SamsungCaptivate' but no 'Samsung C'. I've checked the Mezzmo application, which is using 'Samsung C' profile, but a search of my computer did not reveal where it's getting it from.

An obvious enhancement would be for the 'edit profile' GUI to have a box to set the chaptering length; also for 'maintain library' to generate thumbnails for the appropriate points, if that's possible!

Anyway, it's a huge step forward as it is, and much appreciated.

Gus
09-09-2011, 08:15 PM
@Rilian

you are in the correct folder, it should be SamsungLA.prf. The tag to change is <SamsungChaptering> and it should be near the top of the file:

<samsungchaptering duration="10"></samsungchaptering>

I believe you can change the "duration=" value for the default minutes, and you can paste in base64 (see post#2 above) jpeg data between the tag to add your own image.

cheers

Gus

Paul
09-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, that's correct. It appears (from user feedback) that the TV doesn't really like chapters shorter than 15 minutes, so the default is 15 now (in the official 2.4.3 release).

It's a bit strange that Samsung removed this chaptering feature from the later models - it's a good solution, considering Samsung doesn't have proper FF/REW.

itsmydamnation
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
the samsung DLNA server seems to do it on percentages, on my TV (PS50C6500) chapters shorter then 15mins are fine.

my TV however will only show 5 chapters so with the mezzmo method i cant use chapters to get above 1 hour 15 mins. Which doesn't bother me to much, i could always change the value in the profile if i wished.

I know this is way out of left field, but sometime in the future it would be pretty cool if some of these values in profiles etc became variables and allow the setting of these variables on a per file or folder etc with the most specific taking precedence. being able to set different chapter times for my movies folders and different TV shows etc would be really good!

Paul
09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - we'll consider adding percentages and per-file settings as well in the future.

fastbuck
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
my samsung uec6500 also just seems to support five chapters. it would be great if you could do it percentage-wise because right now sometimes there's only 3/4th of a movie chaptered or for tv-shows there are only two chapters.

Kaptain Kaos
09-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I have a Samsung UN55C7000. Since the software upgrade, any new MKV files I add to the server only display a grey thumbnail image on the TV. I have tried to adjust the thumbnail image in the files properties, but the slider just shows washed out grey thumbnails to choose from. I have run maintain library with update images with no effect.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Paul
09-19-2011, 08:48 AM
We have a patch to fix that, please open a support ticket and we'll send it to you.

fastbuck
10-11-2011, 10:28 PM
hi dennis, will the fix with percentage instead of 15 minutes steps come in the next update, was a bit disappointed that it wasn't implemented in 2.4.4.0.

Paul
10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Yes, it'll be in the next update.

fastbuck
10-20-2011, 04:07 AM
wow, that update came faster than expected :) and it works great. thanks again!

Paul
10-20-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm glad you like it :)

hartlenb
11-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Is there a list of TVs (and BD's if it works for them?) that this chaptering should work with? I've tried it with a LN46C600 TV and a BD-C5500. Neither work for me. When I press the center navigation button (<enter>) it pauses.

Paul
11-14-2011, 09:35 AM
We don't have such a list, but none of our devices here in the office work either. It may be region-based or some specific model-firmware combinations. I would say that the best way to find out is either to try, or contact Samsung with your specific device's model/firmware to check.

Gus
11-15-2011, 12:42 AM
For me, the quickest way to be sure was to plug in a USB stick or disk and play a movie. If it doesn't support chaperting over USB i would say over the network is unlikely.

FlyingVguitarist
12-07-2011, 09:04 AM
It appears my Samsung Series 6 (MDL# UN60C6300SFXZA) does not support chaptering. When I press the center button, the video pauses. After testiing on Mezzmo and a USB jump drive, I called Samsung. They confirmed my TV doesn't support chaptering :(.

Since I don't have chaptering, can someone tell me the best way to handle TV compilations? For example, let's say I converted a 6-episode DVD into a single .MKV file. How can I quickly FF to a resume point should the media player forget/reset it (it does occassionally happen)? All I can do at the moment is jump in 12 second increments -- which takes a great deal of time when my resume point is in the sixth episode.

I'm using AnyDVD to rip the DVD and Handbrake to convert it. The output is h.264/MKV. Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Paul
12-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Since I don't have chaptering, can someone tell me the best way to handle TV compilations?

Using the Skip buttons on your remote control (as you are doing now) is the only way you can navigate quickly through a video file - given your Samsung TV model does not support chaptering. Perhaps converting your 6-episodes into 6 separate video files rather than 1 compilation video file may make it more manageable? Not sure if this is feasible for you.

FlyingVguitarist
12-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Perhaps converting your 6-episodes into 6 separate video files rather than 1 compilation video file may make it more manageable?

Paul's solution seems reasonable. Can someone show me how to split a compilation DVD into separate files?

Thanks much!

Gus
12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Paul's solution seems reasonable. Can someone show me how to split a compilation DVD into separate files?

Thanks much!

For my DVD collection I use FAIRUSE WIZARD which i'm pretty sure can batch convert chapters on DVDs and output to divx etc. Have a look perhaps it will help you.

Gus

Rainey
02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
The real problem is why some models of Samsung TV's do not support chaptering, it would seem this is a feature of the player software in the TV and could be supported if Samsung wanted to, but when using DLNA streaming it don't work on many Samsung TV Models.

I have a Samsung Series 6 (MDL# UN55D6000SFXZA) & (MDL# UN40D6000SFXZA) and both will support chaptering using a USB drive locally but not when using DLNA streaming. I tried the template file posted in post 1 of this thread but it did not help. When i press the center button i get a toolbar on the display but the chaptering Icon is grayed out. But i do have a time seek icon that lets you seek by one minute at a time and repeats fast so i can seek that way if you know what time you are looking for.

Rainey

Paul
02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
We have a few Samsung devices in the office here and none of them support chaptering - I don't know how Samsung decides to include/exclude features :(

Booms
03-12-2012, 01:01 AM
I have a Samsung LE46C750 and chaptering is working fine with Mezzmo 2.5.0.0. However, the chapter lengths vary from 7 minutes to 23 minutes depending on which video files I am watching.
I would like to alter the 23 minutes file to 10 or 15 minutes, but cannot find any.prf files in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Conceiva\Mezzmo folder. I cannot find a SamsungLA.prf file either, or any .mta files in my Videos folder.
I would be grateful for any help.please.
Many thanks.

P.S. Used .mta template and worked okay,thanks. Is there any way of letting the tv display more than 5 chapters?

Gus
03-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I have a Samsung LE46C750 and chaptering is working fine with Mezzmo 2.5.0.0. However, the chapter lengths vary from 7 minutes to 23 minutes depending on which video files I am watching.
I would like to alter the 23 minutes file to 10 or 15 minutes, but cannot find any.prf files in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Conceiva\Mezzmo folder. I cannot find a SamsungLA.prf file either, or any .mta files in my Videos folder.
I would be grateful for any help.please.
Many thanks.

P.S. Used .mta template and worked okay,thanks. Is there any way of letting the tv display more than 5 chapters?

Booms,

glad you have chapters working, they really improve Mezzmo and sets it apart from the other packages out there.
As for chapter lengths, the default length can be adjusted from the Device Profile which is in:
C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles

However the default chapter length is based on the total length of the media file, so split into fifths for example. It's a good way to do it since you can't add more than 5 chapter points. I remember someone on this forum adding more and it made no difference.
The original implementation did use 10mins i think, and users prefered the percent split since a 2hr film for example didn't work with only 5x 10min chapters.

The other way is to use the local .MTA files as you have found out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gus

Booms
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I don't have the "C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles" folders,(not in Program Files either. I have the Conceiva\Mezzmo folders...but no DeviceProfiles?) so I can not edit the Device Profile.
But I will carry on putting .MTA files in for any that I wish to adjust.
Many thanks.

Gus
03-12-2012, 09:19 PM
try:
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

XP etc uses this folder, Windows7, Vista or Server2008 etc uses the newer programdata for app data files.

Booms
03-13-2012, 04:45 AM
I am using Windows 7 Ulltimate 64 bit, but still cannot find this folder/file.

Gus
03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Ok, so it will be c:\programdata for sure. Open this folder and do a search for *.prf and see what it finds.
Alternatively just do a full search across my computer for samsungla.prf

It is there somewhere!

Booms
03-15-2012, 12:12 AM
I am getting very confused now. There is no c:\programdata folder ( various Google searches have told me to look in C:\Users folder, but it is not there either).
And having run a search on My Computer I cannot find the samsungla.prf file either.
I have chosed to display hidden folders and files, and still no joy.

mgab
03-15-2012, 03:16 AM
I am getting very confused now. There is no c:\programdata folder ( various Google searches have told me to look in C:\Users folder, but it is not there either).
And having run a search on My Computer I cannot find the samsungla.prf file either.

I believe its a hidden Folder. You need to go to folder options and display hidden files/folders.

edit: sorry, missed the part that you already are displaying hidden folders.

Gus
03-15-2012, 08:50 PM

you're confused? me too.

ok back to basics...

1. What folders do you have in c:\
2. Click start, Run and enter c:\ProgramData what happens?
3. Do a search for *.prf what happens?
4. Is Mezzmo definately installed on this PC? and on C: drive?

cheers

fits79
05-21-2012, 06:59 AM
No it DOESN'T work.
I download the file "Gus_Samsung_C_Series_Chapter_Template.zip" and i renamed it with my movie
e.t.c.
Movie.mkv
movie.mta
And i try to play that movie with
Samsung pc share manager, allshare, tvmobili and others dlna program but NEITHER of these works it just play that file WITHOUT any chapter at all so....

I have the samsung le40c653.

Gus
05-21-2012, 07:21 AM
No it DOESN'T work.
I download the file "Gus_Samsung_C_Series_Chapter_Template.zip" and i renamed it with my movie
e.t.c.
Movie.mkv
movie.mta
And i try to play that movie with
Samsung pc share manager, allshare, tvmobili and others dlna program but NEITHER of these works it just play that file WITHOUT any chapter at all so....

I have the samsung le40c653.

Hi,

A couple of questions...

- do you get chapters when playing the same file from USB? This is the main test since not all Samsung TVs support chapters.

- in your post you say you downloaded the zip file and renamed it, did you unzip it first and rename the resulting mta file?

fits79
05-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Yes i do get chapters from usb as i get chapers if i play movies with mezzmo 2.6.1.0 or 2.5.5.0
But with OTHER programs except mezzmo I DON'T get chapters even i rename the file at your 1 post and rename it to the movie mkv file.

Yes i unzip it and the result was one mta file this is the reason i post you above the example
movie.mkv
movie.mta -> your unzipped file.

Paul
05-21-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't believe other media servers support Samsung MTA files. Perhaps only Mezzmo supports them and that's why you only see chapters when streaming with Mezzmo.

fits79
05-21-2012, 10:13 PM
So this file is ONLY FOR MEZZMO????

Doesn't support it anyone else program or samsung le40c653 by itself????

Gus
05-21-2012, 10:28 PM
As far as i know only Mezzmo and an older version of PCSM support .MTA files.
Some Samsung TVs request the MTA files but the server software has to support them and 'send' them.

So these files are for use only in Mezzmo since PCSM creates it's own versions.

That said, i've almost stopped using MTA files in Mezzmo since the introduction of the auto chaptering on the fly. So Mezzmo delivers the MTA file in the backgound automatically.

Cheers

Gus

fits79
05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
So there isn't any other dlna program that supports mta files?
How i can create my own mta files?

Look this (http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mta) article please that tell allshare support mta files....

I try to make that mta file work with the files with these names
movie.mkv
movie.mta

NOT like this
movie.mkv
movie.mkv.mta

I try with the second way maybe it work.

Gus
05-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Are you having problems with Mezzmo and MTA files?

or with AllShare?

I think this forum is only best for Mezzmo discussion. You may be better to post on a Samsung forum for AllShare related questions.

fits79
05-21-2012, 11:18 PM
No with mezzmo i have other problrems.
Look here:
http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/3145-When-the-mezzmo-2-6-1-0-starts-my-netbook-is-completely-stuck
http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/3115-Why-some-folders-that-already-have-shared-and-worked-fine-after
http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/3127-Automatic-refresh-of-shared-folders-and-others

Gus
05-21-2012, 11:41 PM
OK, i'm glad MTA files work fine in Mezzmo for you. I'll let the other forum posts assist you on those issues instead of cross posting in this one.

Cheers

Gus

fits79
06-09-2012, 05:08 PM
If i make one mkv file wth chapters with mkvtoolnic WITHOUT an external chapters does the tv regonise these chapters inside the mkv file or not?

And does anyone know i can make custom chapters at ant mkv files with program mkvtoolnix?

A LOT OF THANKS.

Gus
06-10-2012, 03:02 AM
If i make one mkv file wth chapters with mkvtoolnic WITHOUT an external chapters does the tv regonise these chapters inside the mkv file or not?

And does anyone know i can make custom chapters at ant mkv files with program mkvtoolnix?

A LOT OF THANKS.

Fits79, if you mean with a Samsung TV then NO, the TV wont support chapters that are built into the file, these TVs only support external chapter points via an MTA file. This is the same across all servers and is simply a limit on the TV.

If you mean with a different TV brand, then maybe a new post in the forum will help you.

Lastly i'm not sure how to use toolnix to create chapters sorry.

Cheers
Gus

fits79
06-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Ok can you tell me one way to create external "mka, xml, txt, mk3d, cue" or that support the program mkvtoolnix so i load it to every mkv file i have so inserted these chapters and no need to create it from scratch every time.

So i create mkv files with chapters inside the mkv file WITHOUT any external file.

A LOT OF THANKS.

Gus
06-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Ok can you tell me one way to create external "mka, xml, txt, mk3d, cue" or that support the program mkvtoolnix so i load it to every mkv file i have so inserted these chapters and no need to create it from scratch every time.

So i create mkv files with chapters inside the mkv file WITHOUT any external file.

A LOT OF THANKS.

Fits79,

sorry no i dont know how to use mkvtoolnix to insert chapters. I only know about MTA files.

This post is for Samsung TV Chapters with MTA external files.

cheers

Gus

fits79
06-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Ok is there any program that create custom mta files you can choose in how much minutes is every chapter....

Gus
06-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Only Samsung PCSM will create MTA files but not custom minutes. The alternative is to use my MTA template from post1, it will let you choose your own minutes, and then simply copy and rename to a new filename.

This i would think is your only way. I think custom minutes is a nice to have. Especially since Mezzmo creates chapters on the fly and splits them evenly depending on the video length. Its an excellent system.

Cheers
Gus

fits79
06-10-2012, 05:08 AM
So is there any program that you can create mta files with CUSTOM MINUTES per chapter?
And if there is which is this program?

Gus
06-10-2012, 05:11 AM
So is there any program that you can create mta files with CUSTOM MINUTES per chapter?
And if there is which is this program?

This seems to be the same as your last post? the answer is no.

BTVCON
12-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Does anyone know if the Samsung ES8000 supports chaptering? I've tried the mta file approach but have no success. The ES8000 only allows 15 second skips not 15 minutes which is really annoying when you are trying to ffwd or rrwd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gus
12-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Hi BTVCON,
the first thing to check is whether your TV does chaptering at all, so does it work with the Samsung software? from your CD or from the download page on their website. Also what happens when you play a video from a USB disk, does this do chaptering?

That's where is started on the C series and worked from there.

Once it's known that your TV can support chaptering then Mezzmo can be looked at to maybe emulate.

Let us know how you get on.
cheers

Gus

BTVCON
12-21-2012, 07:32 PM
If I play a video via USB I can fast forward rewind and skip chapters if the MKV has them built in. If the video is streamed via Mezzmo then I can only skip forward or backwards 15 seconds at a time and the Fast forward and Rewind does not work and say not availible. The TV does remember where you stop the film and restarts from where you left off but that is as far as the functions via Mezzmo allow.

I have tried the mta files and these appear not to work for me??

Thanks

Rainey
12-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Mezzmo is great and works well, but when it comes to chapters and fast forward over DNLA, it is the Samsung TV player that is limited.
As you have seen already it works with a local USB drive but not during DNLA playback.
I have been getting tired of the limited Samsung user interface and was looking into some other options that are not so limited.
There is a TV app called PLEX app for the Samsung TV and it is a very nice GUI but of course it will not support all the files types that mezzmo does but it may work good of some of your library.
There is another Option but requires an XBOX or PC connected to the TV. This is a WMC add-on and is called MediaBrowser. This is the best solution but it is much more work to setup and cost more as you need one for each TV.
These two options have very flashy GUI but have there own limits also.
In the end i find Mezzmo is easy to setup and it works, but the user interface of the Samsung TV DNLA player sucks and is limited to just the very basics. We all want a netflix interface for our home library but it is not easy to have yet, someday we will get it.

BTVCON
01-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks Rainey,

I have since read another thread on this and have discovered the time search function ion the ES8000 TV of mine and that solves nearly all my problems. I agree it would be nice to have a Netflicks interface on your TV. Maybe this can be done via a Smart TV app???

Thanks for your help!!

Lifferds
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I have a UN40C6500VFXZA, Version SS03. It supports chaptering natively from Mezzmo w/o .mta files. It apparently uses 16.667% of video length as there are 5 chapters only (6 segments) spaced evenly across the duration. This is true even across wireless DLNA.

fits79
02-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Is there any program(EXCEPT ALLSHARE) that it can create mta files based on the time each video file was because the latest edition of mezzmo 3.0.2.0 doesn't do that correctly with results DON'T chapters at any video file i try.

THANKS

Gus
02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
No, i dont know of any program that creates MTA files except AllShare

Paul
02-25-2013, 09:08 AM
We will re-test MTA file streaming here and make sure it is working in Mezzmo v3.0.2.0.

Gus: Can you check that Samsung MTA files are still working with Mezzmo v3.0.2.0 after you upgrade? It would be great to get confirmation from you. Many thanks.

Gus
02-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Sure. Just installed the new version, will start testing on the TV later tonight for you.

G.

Gus
02-26-2013, 08:19 AM
We will re-test MTA file streaming here and make sure it is working in Mezzmo v3.0.2.0.

Gus: Can you check that Samsung MTA files are still working with Mezzmo v3.0.2.0 after you upgrade? It would be great to get confirmation from you. Many thanks.

Initial tests have gone well. Chapter points work exactly as before on my C series. I have still to test Chapters for new files that get added, but as for the existing library, all work the same as before.

thanks

Gus

Paul
02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Many thanks for confirming MTA file streaming is still working in the latest Mezzmo version, Gus. Let us know if you do find any issue.

Gus
02-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Just a quick update. Chapter points working fine on both new files added to 3.0.2.0 and for existing files pre-upgrade.

Functionality is the exact same as before. i.e. pressing centre button shows up a list of chapter points at set times in film depending on the total length.

While i'm here...resume also works.

cheers

Gus

BeFi
02-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Positive confirmation on chaptering working on 3.0.2 and Samsung C from my end as well.

Regards Bernhard

Paul
02-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Many thanks for the confirmation, Gus & Bernhard.

fits79
03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
No the chaptering DOESN'T WORK at 3.0.2.0 even at completely new installation of mezzmo and folders of share.

I talk about files(mkv, avi, wmv e.t.c.) WITHOUT .mta files for these files.

Just the files as it work at toooooo old mezzmo releases is do chaptering AUTOMATICALLY without must coose anything at all at any file.
At least at chaptering old releases of the program worked fine.

SO.....

Gus
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
No the chaptering DOESN'T WORK at 3.0.2.0 even at completely new installation of mezzmo and folders of share.

I talk about files(mkv, avi, wmv e.t.c.) WITHOUT .mta files for these files.

Just the files as it work at toooooo old mezzmo releases is do chaptering AUTOMATICALLY without must coose anything at all at any file.
At least at chaptering old releases of the program worked fine.

SO.....

@fits79, i have no idea what you mean. I do not understand. Perhaps you can use less CAPS ? and maybe you can be less rude?
I will be happy to help if you are less rude, and use less CAPS?

would this be ok?

So, to try and help you...here are some simple questions:

1. What TV do you have ?

2. Has auto chapters ever worked? if so, what version of Mezzmo?

3. Does auto chaptering work on a USB hard disk or memory stick?

Thanks.

Gus

fits79
03-19-2013, 02:09 AM
@fits79, i have no idea what you mean. I do not understand. Perhaps you can use less CAPS ? and maybe you can be less rude?
I will be happy to help if you are less rude, and use less CAPS?

would this be ok?

So, to try and help you...here are some simple questions:

1. What TV do you have ?

2. Has auto chapters ever worked? if so, what version of Mezzmo?

3. Does auto chaptering work on a USB hard disk or memory stick?

Thanks.

Gus
01. Samsung ue40es6100
02. No it doesn't only if i already have the mta files from allshare program at the video folder.
03. On hard disk or usb flash disk with mezzmo program NO it doesn't still only if already have the mta files for each video files.

Gus
03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Ok, thanks for that.

So chaptering works if you have MTA files? good.

Can you try the blank MTA file from my post #1:
http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/1836-A-Guide-to-Chaptering-on-Samsung-TVs?p=9527#post9527

That MTA file is created manually, and not from AllShare. Can you try adding this one to your file list and rename it the same as a local video. Do the chapters show?

Regarding Question3, i was meaning a USB device plugged into your TV, so a test that does not use Mezzmo. Only the USB disk plugged into the TV. Do chapters show for this?

Thanks.

Gus

fits79
03-20-2013, 04:25 AM
Yes but THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION becsause if one folder has 50 files i must do that thing for 50 times e.t.c. so......

Gus
03-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Yes but THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION becsause if one folder has 50 files i must do that thing for 50 times e.t.c. so......

Once again fits79, please do not use CAPS, and please do not be rude. I am happy to help, but dont use CAPS and dont be rude.

If you would like to answer the questions, i will try again to help, and maybe we will get to finding a total fix. I dont think there is one thing to fix your problem right now, it is going to take a little time to try some options and work it out.

So if you can answer the questions, and we will work it out. But if you dont want that, that is OK, we can stop now and i will not help...

You can let me know what you would like to do?

Thanks

Gus

Paul
05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Just an update - if you have a recent Samsung TV model (D-series, E-series, etc.), then pressing the center button on your remote control may not display the chapter points onscreen. Rather you need to press the Tools button on your remote control and then select the Chapter Search icon onscreen.