PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Library

darkhorse
08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
My Library is mainly via Itunes.
When I rerun my Maintaining Library process it takes just as long as running it for first time. Update like 4500 files out of 4400, why?
I only wish to check for differences and process those. I am not selecting to: update all files, I am only updating files with missing information.
This is an example of what I am getting.

Paul
08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
This should only happen once - after you run Maintenance for the first time after updating to 2.4.2. If maintenance is allowed to successfully complete, further runs should go through much faster and not update that many files. Is this the first or a subsequent maintenance?

darkhorse
08-22-2011, 11:39 AM
This is most certainly subsequent maintenace.
I now have tried right clicking each playlist and running maintain playlist... and videos, photos. were really quick just running it on Music and again its sloooowww and appears to be updating almost every file again.139

Paul
08-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Ok, we'll need to look into why files from iTunes are updated like that - thanks for bringing this up.

darkhorse
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Just to clarify, what steps and settings should I use to have my Media update to my Library. But only update differences?
Thanks.
Screenshot would be nice.
Craig.

Paul
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
If you select "Only update files with missing information" in the Maintenance dialog, then this will tell Mezzmo to check existing files and see if anything has changed between the file on disk and the information in the database and only update something in Mezzmo's database in that case. New files are always added in, regardless of the "update all" or "update only missing" setting.

Also choose whether you wish to read in album artwork or lyrics - just tick the boxes that you need.

Usually you'd run maintenance after adding/removing files and if you've changed some of the file's metadata.

Paul
08-22-2011, 03:42 PM
We found and fixed the issue - it's not only related to iTunes actually. This will be part of 2.4.3 due out soon.

darkhorse
08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Thats good, well thats not good, you know what I mean, at least you have found the issue.
It also explains why when I used it the other week on older version it was fine.
When is 2.4.3 due?

darkhorse
08-22-2011, 06:54 PM
ok.? then

Paul
08-23-2011, 08:45 AM
It's coming out soon :) Within the next couple of days or sooner.

darkhorse
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Am I right in thinking the issue is worse than just the above.
When I run the rescan regardless of Only update files with missing information or not it does not seem to add new Podcasts or Music?
Am I correct?

Paul
08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes, it's a general issue, not related to iTunes. I'd recommend not doing maintenance until 2.4.3 is released.

darkhorse
08-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I hate to be negative. But I just paid for the product and I hope this new version is released really soon as its basically useless to me at the moment.

Thanks

gliot1
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Awesome! I noticed the same issue but wrote it off as how the new release worked.

Paul
08-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Yes, it'll be released shortly.

darkhorse
08-30-2011, 05:25 PM
How the new release getting on, I still have unusable product.

Paul
08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
We should have the release very soon, sorry for the delay.

Paul
09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
The new version that fixes this has just been released, so please update your copy and give it a try!

darkhorse
09-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry updated to new version, however seems to be updating most files again.

Paul
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
It will need to do that once, but after it completes, it shouldn't do that anymore.

darkhorse
09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Im sorry Dennis, this is not the case. this is at least the 3rd or 4th time I have run it and its still updating almost everything and taking ages.

Paul
09-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the screenshots. If you turn off getting lyrics, does it still update all the files - can you please try that and let me know?

darkhorse
09-13-2011, 02:38 PM
That has helped its no longer updating every file but is still taking a long time to complete scan. Its seems far longer than before the previous version. Ideas?

Paul
09-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Is there any particular area of maintenance that's taking longer? Just going through the files, or getting artwork or initializing before maintenance or something else? There shouldn't be any slowdown from the previous Mezzmo version.

Do you have other software running that could be using the disk/CPU/memory? Are the files on a local or a network disk?

darkhorse
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Well my settings are attached. And I am running by right clicking library and Maintain your library, and as noted I am not choosing Music files, which is the highest volume of files I have.
And my files are on network150 device however they have always been there. I have not changed anything in regards to locale or volume etc. but as I stated they were before. CPU of course cant be the same but I can't imagine its much higher then before I will reboot and run it alone and see.

Paul
09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the screenshot, but can you please tell me which part of maintenance feels slower? Preparing (initializing) or going through individual files, etc...?

darkhorse
09-15-2011, 08:32 AM
I think its the checking for files. but I cannot honestly tell you all I know is the overall process is slower I was only using product say a month before purchasing and since then upgrading versions.

Paul
09-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Did you add a lot of files/folders/playlists since you started using Mezzmo? Perhaps the library has grown in size considerably and this causes some slowdown to occur?

To check which part is slower, just watch the Status pane and see where it spends most time. It's hard to guess what could be wrong without knowing what it was like on your system and what it's like now. Perhaps there's some other software running now that wasn't before, like a different virus scanner or something like that?

darkhorse
01-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Concevia,

I have a related issue to above. I did get my Maintenance to run at desirable speeds. Thanks for resolving that.
However I recently had a PC disaster and needed to rebuild. Once rebuilding and Running Mezzmo. I seem to have fallen back to a scenario that I don't want.

I import my Itunes Library but as before I don't want Music added so after the full Import of Movies Podcasts Videoes and Music. I delete all Music Playlist, and tick Remove from Mezzmo also. Then when I run Further Maintenance and deselect Music as type of Files to update. Untick update Artwork and select only update files with missing info.

However when it runs it speeds through Videos etc. But then during Finalizing Maintenance it then goes on to add the music back again.

Help would be appreciated. 211

darkhorse
01-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Also after turning logging on, I noticed its also fetching and setting up Album Art. even though its not selected.

Paul
01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for reporting this. We'll try to recreate it here and fix it.

Paul
01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
We have re-tested this just now and it seems to be working fine - but it may not be clear to users what is happening. I'll try to explain:

If you have added folders, linked playlists or iTunes playlists into your Mezzmo library, then when you run Maintain Library, as a final step in the maintenance, Mezzmo will scan through your added folders, linked playlists and iTunes library to make sure that they are up to date. In the case of an added folder, Mezzmo will add all files that in that added folder (and sub-folders) that match the file extensions you have chosen in your folder properties (right-click on the folder in Mezzmo to see the properties). So, even though you delete some files from your Mezzmo library, Maintain Library may re-add them back in since they exist in the folder and match the file extensions you have chosen. If you do not wish to re-add them after a Maintain Library, then perhaps remove unwanted file extensions from the folder properties.

The Music Files, Video files and Image files checkboxes in the Maintain Library dialog only relate to updating metadata for existing files in your Mezzmo library. They do not relate to maintaining your added folders, linked playlists or iTunes playlists into your Mezzmo library.

darkhorse
01-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi Paul,

The removal of Music button only ignores Metadata seems weird. Its not how I red it at all.
The other strange outcome is I had this working as I like previously to reinstalling. When I ran Maintenace it did not even attempt to add music from Itunes library. Just updated Videos did it like in 2 mins.
The whole reason I wish to skip Music is I have 5500 songs which Mezzmo takes ages to recheck. Is there a way to check if the songs being reimported are attached to a PLaylist in itunes I can not see?

Thanks

darkhorse
01-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Ok a Slight improvement. For whatever reason when I run subsequent Maintenance I am only having it add 22 Artists out of the 300 in my Itunes library. so its selecting only a sample now (its always the same sample) how do I find out why its choosing this sample.

Please Advise.

Paul
01-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Do you see those artists in Mezzmo? Perhaps Mezzmo is failing to add them (for example if it cannot read in the music file) and thus it's trying to re-add them all the time, while all the others have been successfully added?