PDA

View Full Version : Transcoded file deletion

Jabber
08-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi,
Is there a way to preserve transcoded files? Every time I stop the server, the transcoded files are deleted. I just figured out how to continue transcoding files in the background from previous posts, but if the server is ever stopped for any reason, the transcoded files are deleted and I have to start all over again.

I'm trying to transcode HiDef m2ts files on an old pentium 4 and it takes a long time. Is there a way to keep the transcoded files and continue on at a later time? I would also like to keep previously transcoded files for later viewing.

The streaming works well when it does work but if I can't figure out how to fix this problem. Upgrading the computer hardware is not a solution I'm looking for right now.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
08-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Transcoded files that have successfully completed transcoding shouldn't be deleted when you stop the server, unless your transcoding folder size limit is too small (check the Transcoding Settings dialog for that). If a file is currently being transcoded and you stop the server, then that temporary file will be deleted.

Jabber
08-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply. It's working now. I set Mezzmo transcoder settings for my blu ray player to maximum bit rate and full 1080P and it works much better. Since the original was HiDef, this seemed to minimize the transcoding time. That seems opposite to what the bitrate slider hint indicates.
The transcoded files are about 80% of the original file size but that's ok since they stream well and transcode much faster.

Is there a way to keep only the transcoded file and play that back at a later date instead of having both the original and the transcoded files on the hard drive? I.E. I would like to delete the original video files to save space but keep the transcoded files for later playback.

Thanks again.:)

Paul
08-24-2011, 08:55 AM
You could go to the transcoding folder and copy those files out of it, give them proper names and extensions and they'll be just like normal videos.

The slider is a bit misleading, I agree. The lower the bitrate, generally, the slower transcoding will be. We'll be looking into that soon.

ldbeltran
02-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi there, I was trying the solution that Dennis gave in the last post, to copy the transcoded files out of the transcoding folder and rename them to use them as normal videos, but it didnīt work, can you help me please? What extension should I use? my tv is a Sony Bravia KDL... I changed the extension to m2ts and the file is listed and it looks like itīs playing, but all you can see is a blank screen, regards.

Paul
02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
The extension depends on the file format - what is the name of the file (the format and codecs are part of the name that Mezzmo generates)?

When you add that file to Mezzmo, does it show up properly in the library?

ldbeltran
02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for answering, the file name is this 35788-mpegts_transcoding-libx264-ac3.mzt, and yes, it looks good in the library, everything looks fine, but when I try to reproduce it in my tv it shows nothing.

Paul
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Can you please confirm that you've added the file as new and not just replaced the original file?

If you did, please enable logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then try playing that file and once it fails, stop the server and send the logs to support.

ldbeltran
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Ok, yes I added it as new, and even I see the thumbnail in the TV , but, again, it looks blank.
I donīt want to stop the server right now because one file is being transcoding and I donīt want to lose it, so, as soon as it finish Iīll do what you ask, thanks.