PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish Playback with transcoding

Marten
08-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Hello

I'm having a problem with full 1080p HD files and transcoding. I own a Bravia TV and lots of mkv files, so I have to activate the transcoding feature for the playback.

The playback starts normally but after a few minutes the image stops and becomes sluggish. This is because the transcoding buffer gets empty and the streaming has to wait for the transcoder.

The question is. My CPU is a quad core 3.20 GHz and when the transcoding is active the CPU usage is between 90% and 100%. So if the transcoder buffer gets empty is becase the CPU runs out of resources. Is this normal? Is not my CPU able to process all the information? Do I need a new 'more powerfull' CPU?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
08-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Hello,

To check whether transcoding speed is the culprit, we'd need to see transcoding logs, so if you could enable logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then start playing one of the MKVs that you haven't before (so that transcoding starts) and once the TV stops showing the movie, stop the server and send in the logs.

Ideally, you'd want something with 4 cores, but 8 threads (or more), since then we can use 4-5 cores for transcoding and one for streaming. In case of 4 cores/threads, we can only use 3 for transcoding, since we need one for streaming. The logs will tell us though whether this is the problem or it's something else.