PDA

View Full Version : Quiet audio

KaptK
08-30-2011, 12:13 AM
When i play quite a few files, i have to increase the volume on the tv to be able to hear it. Normally when i watch TV or play PS3 the level is at 10-12 but when using Mezzmo i have to pump up the volume to 30+.

Does any of the information being sent to the tv (Samsung C profile) have audio level data? If so, is there anyway to increase the volume level from the server side rather than the device. Just wondering if the transcoding is doing something to sound levels.

Paul
08-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Usually transcoding should keep the sound level as-is, but if all your files are quiet after being transcoded, we could try modifying your specific device profile to see if we can increase the volume on all of them. There's no automatic control for this and it would have to apply to all transcoded files.

Are native files streamed ok though?

Also, is this only for movies or audio (music) files as well?

KaptK
09-03-2011, 05:41 AM
It's always the case as the last few movies i tested, the volume seemed to be fine. Like i said in the original post, with TV coming through the volume is set at 10 and is loud. With movies, i do have to raise the level to 20-30+. Maybe it's just audio when i watch tv is coming in a bit loud as if volume goes up to 100 especially as i'm getting it around the 10 mark to be a limit.

I'm mainly playing x264 .mkv files so maybe i'm just unlucky as some of the audio streams come through as quiet. I just wondered if something was going on with the transcoding that was making the audio more quite than it should be. It's no hassle really, just thought i'd check as might have been easier to adjust volume levels server side rather than on tv all the time.

I checked an mp3 file and the volume was fine with that.

Paul
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Adjusting sound levels is possible on the server side, but that will apply to all your movies, so those that are quiet now perhaps will be loud, but those that are normal now will be very loud :) I'd say it's that a certain audio codec in those MKVs is causing the sound level change, while other MKVs with another audio codec keep their sound level properly.

Also, if you try playing those MKVs on your PC, is the sound level the same or does it vary file-to-file?