PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo forgets networked devices / settings

PTown
09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
I have 3 devices connected to a single WAP, a PS3 XBOX360 and a Television.
The problem I am having is that mezzmo will create a correct profile for the viera but once the ps3 or xbox is turned on its IP address will replace the correct one originally listed for the viera.

Example: Veria -> 192.XXX.XX.110
PS3 -> 192.XXX.XX.120
static ips.

Setup profile for the ps3 everything works great. Power off the ps3, turn it on again mezzmo says its IP is ...XX.110 (TV)

Mezzmo appears to only see 1 device at a time connected to the WAP, but I need independent profiles.

I hope I explained this well enough.

Thanks,
Steve

Paul
09-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Steve,

Do you have a bridge on your network by any chance? If you do, then that could be causing this issue, since bridges tend to present a single MAC address to the rest of the network, and Mezzmo cannot distinguish which device is actually trying to talk to it.

Also, are you using the latest v2.4.2?

PTown
09-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Dennis.
To address your questions, I am running v2.4.2.0 and the router is setup as a client bridge.
However, the primary router can see the mac addresses of each connected device from the client bridge.

Paul
09-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Can you please tell me if the IP/MAC addresses in the Media Devices dialog are all unique, or are any of those the same?

PTown
09-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I will be able to check when I return home later today and will post my findings.
Thanks!

PTown
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Can you please tell me if the IP/MAC addresses in the Media Devices dialog are all unique, or are any of those the same?

The IP address changes which each device that comes online but the MAC remains the same. The MAC its sees is wireless MAC from the client router.

Paul
09-08-2011, 08:51 AM
If the IP changes, then that would explain why settings are lost (if the MAC is the same for all three devices, e.g. is the MAC of your router). Do you have a setting to let the MAC addresses through the bridge, I think some routers will let you do that? Also, perhaps switching to static IPs will help.

PTown
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
The IP's are static essentially (dnsmasq). I will have to check on MAC forwarding.

crazymonkey
09-10-2011, 11:24 AM
i have exactly the same problem, tried to get around it by setting all devices accessing mezzmo via the bridge to use static IP addresses, but it did not help.

Paul
09-12-2011, 08:56 AM
An IP is not enough to identify a device, we also need its MAC address and if the bridge is providing its own MAC for all devices, then this is where these troubles start. We'll be doing some more investigations on whether we can go around the bridge and get the real MAC address (not sure if it's technically possible yet), but if your bridge allows MAC forwarding, then try turning that on and it should fix the issue.

Another possible solution would be to have a check box in Mezzmo to identify devices only by the IP, which you would manually turn on in such cases. This would require using static IPs, but could be a solution.

PTown
09-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Looks like a limitation of the 802.11 standard. Only 1 mac is presented.

Paul
09-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately I'm not sure what can be done at the moment. We'll need to implement fixed IP device matching (and ignore MACs) for this to work. I'll push this up in priorities, so hopefully it'll be done sooner.

PTown
09-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately I'm not sure what can be done at the moment. We'll need to implement fixed IP device matching (and ignore MACs) for this to work. I'll push this up in priorities, so hopefully it'll be done sooner.

Thank you for the help Dennis. I look forward to this functionality being added. In the meantime I have just set every device on that client router as a PS3.... not ideal, but works in the meantime.

Paul
09-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Actually this is already available in a beta test version. If you are interested in testing it, please open a support ticket and I'll send you a copy to try.

smitbret
09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I was having the same trouble. I changed all my IP addresses to static, but Mezzmo continued to lose and rediscover devices. Since both my router and wireless bridge are D-Link I e-mailed them for support. Their suggestion was to turn off MAC cloning on the bridge. I've only been able to watch one movie and stream a few Baby Einstein videos but it seems to have fixed the problem so far.