PDA

View Full Version : Question on getting movie artowork displayed on a Samsung TV set (ThumbGen file)

Shaper
09-12-2011, 01:25 AM
I have a Samsung UE46C6705 TV and I'm currently running Mezzmo 2.4.3 server. The TV is using the Samsung C profile.

Ever since I started using Mezzmo 9 months ago, I've been happy with features and functionality. As new features gets added, I'm eager to test them out. But, the new support for movie artwork from ThumbGen files I can't figure out how to get to work.

In my video library I have several folders added with various video files. For test purpose I created a .tgmd file for only one of my video files to see how it works. This .tgmd file follows the naming convention that is described in “What's New in Mezzmo 2.4.3.0”, “filename.mkv.tgmd”.
The file itself contains pictures and xml files,( [Content_Types].xml, BACKGROUND, COVER, FANART1, FANART2, FANART3,INFO, NFO, PREVIEW ). The contents seem ok when unzipped. After a maintenance of the library in Mezzmo, I still see no change what-so-ever when browsing to the folder containing the video file I've just added, there is no movie artwork.

Is it my TV set that doesn't support movie artwork or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

As a side note, I was really happy to learn about the chaptering feature of my Samung set a while back. And while I appreciate your implementation of the feature in the latest version, I find it better to have .mta files for each video file (I do prefer having proper screenshots for icons instead of the same icon for all chapters). I have Samsungs own Allshare software (version 2.1.0.11072_11) (DLNA server software) installed on the same computer as Mezzmo to generate the .mta files.
The Allshare software generates .mta files following the convention “filename.MKV.mta”, but in order for Mezzmo to make use of them I have to rename them to “filename.mta”. Is it possible to have Mezzmo pick up the mta file following Samsungs naming convention?

With this fresh in mind, I also tried to rename the .tgmd file to just “filename.tgmd” to see it that did the trick, but no, still no movie artwork when browsed from my tv.

I don't have any other clients to test on, so I hope you can help me out.

Paul
09-12-2011, 10:54 AM
1. .TGMD files

After you add your .TGMD files to your folder, run Maintain Library and make sure you check the Update Artwork checkbox and select the Update all files radio button. These two settings tell Maintain Library to update the artwork for all the files, even if they have existing artwork. Please name the .TGMD files like "{filename.ext}.tgmd" - example: ironman2.mkv and ironman2.mkv.tgmd

2. .MTA files

After adding your .MTA files to your folder, you will need to run Maintain Library so that these .MTA files are picked up. In this case, in the Maintain Library dialog, you can just check the Update media properties checkbox and Only update files with missing information radio button. After maintenance has completed, you can stream the video files to your Samsung TV and the chapter files will be delivered to your Samsung TV. You can name the .MTA files like "{filename}.mta" or "{filename.ext}.mta" - example: ironman2.avi and ironman2.mta or ironman2.avi.mta

Gus
09-13-2011, 12:38 AM
In my video library I have several folders added with various video files. For test purpose I created a .tgmd file for only one of my video files to see how it works. This .tgmd file follows the naming convention that is described in “What's New in Mezzmo 2.4.3.0”, “filename.mkv.tgmd”.
The file itself contains pictures and xml files,( [Content_Types].xml, BACKGROUND, COVER, FANART1, FANART2, FANART3,INFO, NFO, PREVIEW ). The contents seem ok when unzipped. After a maintenance of the library in Mezzmo, I still see no change what-so-ever when browsing to the folder containing the video file I've just added, there is no movie artwork.

Is it my TV set that doesn't support movie artwork or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

As far as i know Samsung TVs support cover art without the need for the .tgmd files. Simply by assigning a jpg using the Mezzmo interface or renaming a jpg file to moviefilename.jpg is enough.

I dont think Samsung TVs support the use of tgmd. However if all you want is cover art. This has always been supported. Have you tried to use Mezzmo to supply the cover art?

Lastly, what is "Samsungs own Allshare software (version 2.1.0.11072_11)" ? I thought it was PC ShareManager and it's version4.2, or 4.1 if you want chaptering.

cheers

Gus

itsmydamnation
09-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Allshare is the name of the DLNA client on the TV itself, apart from that i dont know of any other product called allshare.

Paul
09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
I dont think Samsung TVs support the use of tgmd.

That's right - DLNA devices do not support .tgmd files natively. And, Mezzmo does not stream .tgmd files to DLNA devices. Mezzmo reads .tgmd files and updates your Mezzmo library with the information from the .tgmd file (such as title, artist, genre, year, cover artwork, etc.). So, for people that use the ThumbGen app and have lots of .tgmd files, the fact that Mezzmo can now read all your .tgmd files and import all the relevant information into your Mezzmo library is very useful.

Shaper
09-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Regarding Allshare, that seems to be the new DLNA server software from Samsung. This probably replaces the old PC ShareManager. The software can be downloaded (http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=UNI_UK&CttFileID=3809756&CDCttType=SW&ModelType=N&ModelName=UE46D6510WK&VPath=SW/201107/20110730112241355/AllShare_2.1.exe) from Samsungs site.

I tried Pauls suggestion, but that didn't give me any better control of the movie artwork.

I'll try with the simple jpeg later on.

Cheers

Ptr

Paul
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM

Do you see movie artwork using Samsung's AllShare?

Shaper
09-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Being so satisfied with Mezzmo, I haven't tested what I get with Allshare.

Originally I installed PC ShareManager when I got the TV, but wasn't too impressed, so I switched to Mezzmo the next day (haven't looked back since).

The only reason I installed and used Allshare was to generate the .mta files for the chaptering.

I'll have a look to see what movie artwork I can get working with Allshare when I get home.

Paul
09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes, try that and see - if it displays artwork, then we'll be able to fix up Mezzmo to do that same (for whatever reason it's failing), but if it doesn't, then of course your TV's firmware simply doesn't support it.

Gus
09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
For what it's worth this is how i use covers in my Mezzmo setup with my Samsung TV:

When i get a new movie, braveheart.mkv for example. I first find the JPG cover file and resize to 108x65 (it seems to be the best res) then rename the jpg to the same filename, braveheart.jpg for example.

Then copy both files to my videos folder where Mezzmo is assigned to look.
The cover is then added automatically by Mezzmo. No need to add it manually or run a maintenance.
Once it's added i move the JPG file out and into a Covers folder. This is just for neatness. [i'm hoping the Mezzmo team will assign a default folder for artwork at some point ;) ]

cheers

Gus

Paul
09-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Once it's added i move the JPG file out and into a Covers folder. This is just for neatness. [i'm hoping the Mezzmo team will assign a default folder for artwork at some point ;) ]

Yes, it's on our to-do list ;)