PDA

View Full Version : My hardware seems to have regressed..

kitsunegari
09-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I upgraded my file server (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400@2.66GhZ, 4GB ddr2 ram, transcoding onto a WD Caviar blue hdd) and for a while it was fine transcoding full 1080p films via the (gigabit) network, but I'm now back to the same old stuttering, inability to fast forward/rewind, etc.

So I thought I'd test mezzmo on my high end system (Core i7@4.0GhZ, 16GB DDR3, Intel SSD) and its doing the same thing. I've tested all my network hardware and can't find any fault. It's all passed around HP enterprise level (a perk from work) gigabit switches, to a Sony that admittedly only has a 10/100 fast ethernet card, but surely that can't be bottlenecking to the extent that transcoded hd can't be streamed to it? And running throughput/packet loss/general network stability checks I can't find any faults at all.

We're looking to move to a projector and having tested this on some bleeding edge hardware I'm sad to say that if we do, I'll have to look elsewhere. Which is a real shame, given that I really do like Mezzmo.

One interesting thing I note on Windows 7 64 bit, is that FFMPEG doesn't appear to be running whilst transcoding?

Paul
09-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Can you please tell me which Sony device you have and which device profile you are using?

When checking if FFmpeg is running, do you have the "Show processes from all users" ticked in the Task Manager? If you don't, it may be hiding in there.

kitsunegari
09-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Sony Bravia KDL-32EX503 using the Sony Bravia KDL device profile.

And yes to the second one, a habit from running as a sys admin for so long.

Paul
09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Ok, can you please enable logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then try playing one of the failing files, and once it fails, stop the server and send in the logs.

We have a new FFmpeg version here that works faster actually than the one in 2.4.3, so it may help - I'll send it to you once I see the logs.

kitsunegari
09-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I've sent in a log from a planet earth episode we were trying to watch last night. 2.5GB, 1080p hd, stereo sound.

It started stuttering pretty much straight away.

Paul
09-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the logs - I'll get back to you via e-mail.

kitsunegari
10-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I may have solved my own problem. Will get back to you.

kitsunegari
10-08-2011, 08:09 PM
No luck, still getting stuttering in some hd files.

One thing I've noticed: when playing a HD file and it stutters, and then playing a different video file, FFMPEG.exe stays in memory at ~500mb but no CPU usage, and a second FFMPEG.exe opens up, in this case, using ~100MB ram and 100% CPU. Any ideas?

Paul
10-10-2011, 09:14 AM
This is background transcoding - the first transcoder is paused while the second one starts working on the file you are trying to watch now. Once the second file is done, or you stop watching it, the first will resume and continue transcoding.