PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Playing Time on Samsung BD-C5500

Widgett
10-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Hello all. New to the product. Currently using a trial version, happy to pay for a full version if I can figure this out because between my Samsung player and PC Share Manager, sometimes they just make me want to punch a kitten.

Also, apologies in advance if this answered elsewhere but searching for "playing time" and "Samsung" didn't seem to get me anywhere. Thanks in advance for any guidance. Here's the deal...

Have a BD-C5500 connecting via ethernet through a router (both are wired connections) to a machine that was previously running PC Share Mgr 4.03 and is now running the trial version of the latest Mezzmo. It's a Vista 64-bit machine, if that helps at all. I sometimes like to stop a program and come back to it later. This necessitates being able to move back to where I was when I left if the player turns off or somebody wants to watch something else. Now--I know that not being able to fast forward/rewind is a limitation of Samsung and that's fine. I actually remember "I was in 25 minutes in" so I go into Tools > Playing Time and then change the Playing Time to 25:00 and hit enter and bang, most of the time I am taken to where I need to be.

Certain files--I'm sure it's the type of encoding/file--will not allow me to do that. I have tried the "skipping forward" option I've seen described as well and that doesn't work. Can someone tell me--is this another limitation of my Samsung with certain files? Is it a limitation of the file and would any player give me the same response? Is this even something Mezzmo can help with?

Thanks!

Paul
10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Most likely those files are being transcoded, or the BDP's firmware doesn't allow skipping for those file types (we know that for some file types Samsung disables skipping for some reason). Can you please right-click on one such file in Mezzmo and post the output of the "Get FFmpeg Information" command?

Also, which device profile are you using?

Widgett
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi Dennis. Thanks for your response. Here's the output:

ffmpeg version N-33093-gb4483a5, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Sep 29 2011 14:54:32 with gcc 4.4.2
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'L:\Archive\Sample.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE.mkv':
Duration: 00:56:13.66, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 3434 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 384 kb/s (default)
At least one output file must be specified

---> DB Level Info: 41, 100
---> Frame rate: 23.98
---> Aspect ratio: 16:9

I think it's the MKV type that's giving it fits. The device profile I'm using is the one that came up when Mezzmo found the my device, "Samsung BDP 3D." I tried "Samsung C" as well and that didn't work.

Let me know if any of that info is useful. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion I'm SOL on this...at least with this particular unit. Thanks!

Paul
10-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Please try the "Samsung BDP" device profile and see if that works better.

Widgett
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi Dennis: Thanks for your comment. Tried that profile and no change.

Paul
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
If you have Samsung's Share Manager (or AllShare) still installed on your PC, can you try that file using their server? If it doesn't let you skip either, then it's a firmware limitation of the BDP - some files cannot be skipped (most likely because of their particular encoding) while other files of the same format can. We've seen this happen before.

Widgett
10-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Yes, I think it's a limitation of the hardware. That means I'm in the market for some different hardware. Thanks for your help, Dennis. Much appreciated.