PDA

View Full Version : Searching for best way to organize my mediafiles in MEZZMO

mezzmo4me
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Hello,

I have a windows (xp) server running 7x24 with 4 hdds containing my mediafiles (audio and video).
What I like to achieve is ONE list for my wife and me which we can access via our mediaplay in the living room showing video-files from all 4 hdds and another for audio.
Our son should access his own list for audio and video without accessing our "livingroom list".

How can I do that?

I don't want to add every new mediafile I copy to one of the hdds manually to mezzmo, this should be done automatically.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Paul
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Hello,

You could use the "Add Folder" command to add the root of each of those 4 HDDs to some placeholder (normal) playlist in Mezzmo. Then you could use Playlist Permissions to restrict your son's media device from accessing that playlist and create another set of folders that he can access. Or is he going to be using the same device as you? If it's the same device, then the only real way to restrict this at the moment is to have two Mezzmo servers each accessing its own database and thus set of folders/files. You'd need to stop your server when you want to restrict access.

Folders added using the "Add Folder" command will be updated when maintenance is run or when you access them, so new files will appear automatically.

mezzmo4me
10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Hello Dennis,

thanks a lot for your quick and in depth reply.

I'll try this tonight. My son uses his own mediaplayer device so I should be able to give his device just access to his own playlist.

mezzmo4me
10-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Hello Dennis,

I gave it a try but I'm not satisfied entirely with the result.

The video-playlist (with my hdd-folders added) now contains all (about 500) videofiles but without the subfolder-structure I had in my hdd-folders.
How can I get or better beet a subfolder structure I have?

Hope I could describe my problems.

I think I'm not acustomed yet to using medialibraries like Mezzmo or iTunes (never could use that too) should be used.

Kind regards

Mezzmo4me

xcom923
10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I have to agree with the earlier suggestion of permissions. I have a similar setup and it works pretty well

Paul
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
The video-playlist (with my hdd-folders added) now contains all (about 500) videofiles but without the subfolder-structure I had in my hdd-folders.
How can I get or better beet a subfolder structure I have?

If you added the root of your HDD to Mezzmo using the "Add Folder" command, then it should've added a folder playlist with a yellow icon which duplicates your disk's folder structure. Did you get that playlist added in?

Can you please tell me what is the "video-playlist"? Is it a normal playlist, is it a smart playlist?

itsmydamnation
10-10-2011, 05:02 PM
you could using folder junctioning on your file server ( Win7 has natively, WinXP neededs an app installed). create a folder then create sub folders that will be junction points that map into your different disk locations. add only the top folder to mezzmo. repeat same task for your sons folders. then use mezzmo permission to limit which device can see what.

create junction points in windows from the command prompt using mklink:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194%28WS.10%29.aspx

Paul
06-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.3 has been released and this version now supports Windows junctions and symlinks. Let us know if you have any problems.

mezzmo4me
11-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Hello folks,

I now have created two folders containing the folder structure on my hdd's:

video-01 contains:

D:\Video

video-02 contains:

E:\Video
E:\Video\Series
E:\Video\Documentaries
F:\Video
F:\Video\Series
F:\Video\Documentaries

Since I have subfolders in the video\series folders I want to keep these in my mezzmo-playlist but want to have just ONE series folder when I access mezzmo via my lg-TV displaying ALL series subfolders on E:\Video\Series and F:\Video\Series. Is that possible?

At the moment I have E:\Video\Series and F:\Video\Series when I open the Video playlist.

Paul
11-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi Mezzmo4Me,

There's two ways to combine your files from different folders:

1) If you don't mind having your TV series files all listed in a single playlist/folder (instead of listed in specific sub-folders), then you can use a Smart Playlist. Try this:

In Mezzmo, click on Videos in the tree.
Click Create Playlist -> Smart Playlist
In the Smart Playlist dialog, give your playlist a name - e.g. TV Series
Add the following rules to the smart playlist:

[x] Match [any] of the following rules:
[File path] [starts with] [E:\Video\Series]
[File path] [starts with] [F:\Video\Series]

Click OK

Now you have a playlist that lists all videos from your TV series folders.

2) Or, you can use a Windows feature called Symlinks (or Junctions) to join the two folders together. See this post for a working example how to use them - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/3375-Merging-multiple-drives-to-be-seen-as-one. Once you have created your symlink in Windows, add that symlink folder into your Mezzmo library and you can use that to browse/navigate for your TV series videos.

Let us know how you go.

mezzmo4me
11-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for your quick reply.

2) is exactlxy what I want ;-) At the moment I'm struggeling with junctions.
First I've created a folder E:\TV-Series then I made two junctions to E:\Video\Series and F:\Video\Series resulting in the two folders (junctions) displayed in mezzmo instead of the contents of this two junctions.

What am I doing wrong? I'm quite shure the problems sits in front of the monitor in this case ;-))

Paul
11-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Instead of creating junctions for the two top level folders (i.e. E:\Video\Series and F:\Video\Series), you should create junctions for the sub-folders (e.g. E:\Video\Series\Homeland, E:\Video\Series\StarTrek, E:\Video\Series\Simpsons, F:\Video\Series\24, F:\Video\Series\Lost, etc.). That way all your series will all be listed as junction sub-folders in the same folder (E:\TV-Series). Using Windows Explorer, if you go to E:\TV-Series, then you should see it as you want it. Then, you can add the folder (E:\TV-Series) into your Mezzmo library.

mezzmo4me
11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks a lot again Paul for your lightning fast reply.

Although I now tried with junctions on the subfolder, like you mentioned, the result is the same. Mezzmo and the explorer now show the junctions inside the folder E:\TV-series. It would be a lot of work though to create a junction for every subfolder on the different drives and the TV-Series folders anyway.
I assume I'm doing something wrong here.

Paul
11-28-2012, 07:54 AM
You will have to create a separate junction for each series folder (e.g. E:\Video\Series\Homeland, E:\Video\Series\StarTrek, E:\Video\Series\Simpsons, F:\Video\Series\24, F:\Video\Series\Lost, etc.) if you want all your series to appear in the same folder from different drives.

Paul
09-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Just an update - Mezzmo v3.4 now has a new feature called Merged Folders and this lets you combine folders from different drives (NAS, USB and internal) so that you can browse a single folder structure in Mezzmo and on your devices. See this FAQ for more details - http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/6338-Tutorial-How-to-merge-folders-from-different-drives-%28NAS-USB-or-internal%29

mezzmo4me
09-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for your update.