PDA

View Full Version : Mezzmo not transcoding to Samsung TV

wnasser
10-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Hello,

I used the trial version of Mezzmo and then purchased it and updated Mezzmo to the current varsion (2.4.4.0 with FFmpeg.exe build date of Sep. 29, 2011). I have a Samsung UN55C7000 TV and a Samsung BDC6900 3D Blu-ray player.

FFmpeg information:
-----------------------
ffmpeg version N-33093-gb4483a5, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Sep 29 2011 14:54:32 with gcc 4.4.2
[mpegts @ 003d8340] parser not found for codec hdmv_pgs_subtitle, packets or times may be invalid.

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 59.94 (60000/1001) -> 59.94 (60000/1001)
Input #0, mpegts, from 'E:\HD Video\January\Cruise_2011\St. Thomas-St. Marten\00009.mts':
Duration: 00:00:03.52, start: 1.000033, bitrate: 16973 kb/s
Program 1
Stream #0:0[0x1011]: Video: h264 (High) (HDMV / 0x564D4448), yuv420p, 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 59.96 fps, 59.94 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 256 kb/s
Stream #0:2[0x1200]: Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle ([144][0][0][0] / 0x0090)
At least one output file must be specified

---> DB Level Info: 40, 100
---> Frame rate: 59.96
---> Aspect ratio: 16:9

I searched the forum but could not find a solution. I have two issues:

1. When streaming my HD .mts video files (taken by a Sony HD camcoder) to my Blu-ray player (using the "Samsung 3D BDP" profile), the files attempt to play in raw format, without transcoding, however the video is in slow motion like and the audio is garbled. So, it appears that the Blu-ray is not able to play my files correctly. Should it since the profile is setup to play the files in this manner?

2. When streaming the same video files to my TV (using "Samsung C" profile), I get "Not Supported Video Codec". These same files used to transcode and play correctly prior to upgrading Mezzmo to the latest version. I believe this is attempting to transcode but is not successful (I do see files under the transcoding folder, e.g. "1022-mkv-libx264-ac3.mzt"). I can't get this to work no matter what I tried.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Waseem

Jabber
10-16-2011, 02:52 PM
You have almost the same setup I do. The settings that work best for me are:
Under "Transcoder settings"

"Turn off transcoding..." unchecked.
1. Transcoder files temp folder: Point to a drive that has at least 100GB free.
2. Maximum folder size: at least 100GB.
3. Maximum number of a/v transcoders: 50
4. Complete partially transcoded a/v files in background: checked.
5. Use low priority CPU...: checked.

Under media devices for the Samsung blue ray player, 'general tab' I use "Samsung BDP 3D" profile.
Under media devices 'performance tab' for faster re-encode (minimal compression), set the slider all the way to the right (Best Quality). "Maximum video size" should be unchecked.

I too have found that some videos will generate the "invalid codec" or some such message. Sometimes if you use the TV's DLNA input (instead of the bluray player) to rencode the video it will work. I use Samsung C profile for the TV. (50C7000, same as yours except 5 inches smaller screen).

Once you start viewing the video, the re-encode will start. Let the re-encoder run for a few minutes even if the video stops or is jerky. After a few minutes try to view the video again. If you can still play the video (even if jerky) it means it's working. Stop viewing and let the re-encode complete. Once the transcoding is complete (temp file stops updating) Then the video should play smoothly. You can rename the temporary file that is created by the transcode to what ever format it was in originally (e.g. .m2ts) and move it to another archive folder and then add the transcoded file to your mezzimo playlist and delete the original reference to the untranscoded video.

Not sure that helps but since you have the same setup as me and you are new I thought that might help. The Mezzimo default settings didn't work well for me.

PS after you edit all the settings, exit Mezzimo and re-start it to make sure the changes stick.

PPS sometimes playing the saved transcoded file from one device will work on the other even though transcoding doesn't work for that device. E.g. Transcoding with the BDP works and transcoding with the Samsung C doesn't work (or visa versa) but the transcoded temp file that worked on one device (After renaming and moving) will sometimes work on both.

wnasser
10-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Thank you Jabber for your input. I tried setting up as you suggested but still the same results. Please note that transcoding used to work for me exactly as you describerd when streaming directly to the TV (a file will start to play then it stops and moves on to the next file. Then once trancoding has completed in the backgoround, I was able to play the whole file without problems). This however, stopped working for some reason. As for steaming to the Blu-ray player, the video and audio are streamed (without transcoding I believe) but not watchable (the video is in HD but slow and jittery and the audio cuts-up badly).

Thanks again,
Waseem

Paul
10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Can you please try the "Samsung BDP 3D" for the TV and "Samsung C" for the BDP and see if that works?

This will pass the file through natively to the TV, but give it a different description, which perhaps will fix the "invalid codec" (if the file can be played natively in the first place). It will also transcode this file for the BDP - perhaps that'll fix the high bitrate issue (if that's the cause).

wnasser
10-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Thank you Dennis for your reply. I did reverse the profiles as you suggested (the TV now has the BDP profile and the BDP player has the Samsung C profile). Here are the results:

Streaming to the TV directly (using BDP profile): The file is now streamed but the video is slow/choppy and the audio is choppy as well (same results as before with BDP player).

Streaming to the BDP player (using the Samsung C profile): The file is now streamed and is transcoded. However, the quality of the video is not great. It will be fine for few seconds and then not as clear (objects/people will have jagged edges like appearance) then back to being fine and so on. Not sure whay this is happening, but these same files used to transcode and play back perfectly before.

Does this mean that neither the TV nor the BDP player is capable of playing the native file? If so, why not? Would shooting the video at a lower quality setting solve this issue?

How can I get the files to transcode when streamed to the TV directly? What changes can I make to the profile to get that working?

Can transcoding be done on the PC without having to attempt to stream
the files first? I read that this is a feature in the works but not sure if it is in this version of the software or not.

Thanks again for the great support.
Waseem

Paul
10-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Yes, it's possible that both devices don't support this file natively.

Can you please send one such file to support (at) conceiva (dot) com, so that we could try it here? If it's larger than 10 MBs, please upload it to a site like www.megaupload.com and we'll get it from there. We'll be able to sort this out via e-mail once we have the file here.

The pre-transcoding feature is coming in v2.5, so it's not released yet.

Paul
01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.5 has been released and it includes the 'pre-transcoding' features that have been discussed in this thread.