PDA

View Full Version : HP touchpad

Diplodock
10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
I tried to view video from mezzmo 2.4.4 server on HP Touchpad (Bhome application), and receive error.
Is it possible to transcode video on-the –fly to HP Touchpad?
Or I should wait when entire video finish transcoding?

Paul
10-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes, the entire video needs to be transcoded before it can streamed to the HP Touchpad.

Diplodock
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Very bad... Whait fore entire 2 hours movie to transcode...
Is it touchpad problem?
Do you have any plans to make on-the-fly transcoding for touchpad in future relise?

Paul
10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes, it's the problem of the firmware. The device basically only supports MP4 files and technically we cannot encode an MP4 file to be playable in real time, because it needs a MOOV ATOM that can only be written after the file has finished transcoding. The only way to have on-the-fly transcoding is if the device will support a different format (e.g. an MPEG-TS or an MKV) in the future.

Urza
10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes, it's the problem of the firmware. The device basically only supports MP4 files and technically we cannot encode an MP4 file to be playable in real time, because it needs a MOOV ATOM that can only be written after the file has finished transcoding. The only way to have on-the-fly transcoding is if the device will support a different format (e.g. an MPEG-TS or an MKV) in the future.

Hi Dennis,

I was wondering if this limitation was hard written into the hardware or if it was a limitation of HP's WebOS. Would the MP4-only situation still be the case if I was to install a custom OS (ie Android or Ubuntu) on the Touchpad?

Paul
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
It's not a problem of the OS as such, it's a problem of the MP4 containters - it affects most mobile devices, actually. If you install Android 3.x, it should support other formats (non-MP4), so then we could stream something else to it. We have an Android Honeycomb device profile that you could use then. Not sure about running Ubuntu on it, but you could try of course.