PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations for ipad2 DLNA app?

Fooo
10-21-2011, 03:11 AM
I tried all the free trials available and none of them worked with any of my media on Mezzmo, so I'm hesitant to start purchasing apps and find the same result. Does anyone have a reccomendation on which app works best with Mezzmo?

(All my media is generally XVid and streams great to my TV with no transcoding using a Samsung Bluray player).

Paul
10-21-2011, 08:56 AM
I can't recommend any in particular, but if you find one based on avlibs*, then that would be my prime candidate to try. I suspect most players rely on the built-in codecs, which means we won't be able to play files in real-time and they'll need to be transcoded to MP4 first. This is where the pre-transcoding version of Mezzmo will help.

l8router
10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I recommend streaming with AirVideo rather than DLNA on iPAD 2. Currently there is no DLNA iOS app that will work well with Mezzmo AFAIK.

Gus
10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
I recommend streaming with AirVideo rather than DLNA on iPAD 2. Currently there is no DLNA iOS app that will work well with Mezzmo AFAIK.

I have tended to stay away from AirVideo, mainly because it only runs on AirVideo devices, DLNA exists purely as a standard which manufacturers can adopt. So, Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic; whoever. All will have units which work over DLNA. I dont know of any AirVideo units except AppleTV and this has challenges supporting divx, mkv and 1080 content, not to mention the lack of iplayer etc.

Also i have an ipad and use XBMC which works out the box with DLNA and also supports Divx and MKV out of the box, so no transcoding required. 1080p too which is great. So that is one DLNA iOS app that will work.

Fooo
10-27-2011, 12:00 PM
XBMC probably requires jailbreaking though? Want to keep mine "Stock" for now.

BTW I've found that "flexplayer" supports tons of native file video formats like Xvid with no issues, so seems like the hardware/software can decode whatever. But I need to explore more to see if their "mediaconnect" app works with flexplayer to support these formats.

Mills
10-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Im using Airplayer. Works well plays most of my files without transcoding

Fooo
10-28-2011, 05:28 AM
Ok found that mediaconnect and flexplayer (both need to be installed) work well if you disable transcoding in mezzmo. Transcoding doesn't seem to work at all with these but that's fine. Seems like the trend is to have the device play all the formats anyway as real-time transcoding is problematic at best.

Might try airplayer too now that I know that the players work now with transcoding disabled.

Brown
02-06-2013, 02:55 AM
I'm using ArkMC DLNA application for my iPad 1. I like that it supports a lot of file formats!

Paul
02-06-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm using ArkMC DLNA application for my iPad 1. I like that it supports a lot of file formats!

There is a new "Arkuda Digital ArcMC" device profile included in Mezzmo v3.0 so make sure you set this device profile in the Media Devices dialog for your iPad for best results.