PDA

View Full Version : Best DLNA enabled devices

Jabber
10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
What are the media devices with the best and most complete DLNA capabilities? I.E. devices that can process the most codecs and media formats via DLNA. Especially full resolution. Most interested in the BD players.

TIA :)

Paul
10-25-2011, 08:47 AM
From what we tested here, as far as BDPs go, I'd say it's LG and Samsung.

smitbret
11-19-2011, 04:52 AM
From what I've read, the Samsung BDPs won't allow you to FF/Rew. It sounds like they do allow you to "skip". What does that mean exactly? Do the LG players allow FF/Rew when being used with Mezzmo?

I only ask because I am thinking of replacing my PS3 due to Cinavia issues.

Consequently, will there ever be an option to FF/Rew or Skip with DirecTV receivers?

Paul
11-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, one major drawback of Samsung devices is the inability to proprely FF/REW. Skipping means that the video will advance in a certain number of seconds while you're holding the left/right keys.

LG BDPs allow proper FF/REW.

We may have a workaround for DirecTV blocking FF/REW for transcoded files - unfortunately we can't test it here, since we're not in the USA, but if you'd like to try an updated device profile, please open up a support ticket about it and we can do some tests.

smitbret
11-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Yes, one major drawback of Samsung devices is the inability to proprely FF/REW. Skipping means that the video will advance in a certain number of seconds while you're holding the left/right keys.

LG BDPs allow proper FF/REW.

We may have a workaround for DirecTV blocking FF/REW for transcoded files - unfortunately we can't test it here, since we're not in the USA, but if you'd like to try an updated device profile, please open up a support ticket about it and we can do some tests.

Awesome, I'll look into the LGs and pop off a support e-mail for the DTV receivers when I get home. Thanks.

Sikkhead
12-02-2011, 05:50 PM
What is the absolute best bdp player in your opinion?

Also of the set top boxes which is the best?

Paul
12-05-2011, 09:46 AM
What is the absolute best bdp player in your opinion?

Also of the set top boxes which is the best?

There's no single standout BDP or set top box with regards DLNA features in our opinion. Each have their positives and negatives. Before buying one, things you need to consider are format support, subtitle support, user interface, regular firmware updates, price, etc. A good place to start your search are the manufacturers' forums to see what current owners' are saying. Also, AVSforum has many "Official <device> owner's thread" posts that are very useful.

smitbret
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Oppo. You'll pay through the nose for them, though.

bsantelli
12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I am looking for a 2D blu-ray player, that has good dlna support, and supports true FF/REW (not just jump).
I noticed prior post says LG supports true ff/rew - is that all dlna lg players?

any suggestions greatly appreciated.