PDA

View Full Version : Random/shuffle playlist?

eMWu
10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
My A/V Receiver doesn't support playing music files in a random order.
Is there a way for Mezzmo to create a playlist which changes the file order in a playlist periodically or even every time it's accessed?

EDIT: I see it's a planned feature: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/924-Where-is-the-shuffle-feature

Paul
03-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Mezzmo v3.1 has been released and one of the new features is random shuffling on playlists and folders. See full changelog at http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/whatsnew.asp

rjcrum
04-26-2013, 12:23 AM
I love the new shuffle feature, and have been eagerly awaiting it. However, it is designed to shuffle "by song" and I would also like an option to shuffle "by album." This is something you see on an iPod, and I use it extensively. I'm a classical music listener, and have my songs tagged with "Album" as the name of a work ("Beethoven Symphony No. 5") and the individual movements as "songs" on that album (Movement 1, Movement 2, etc.)

Unless I can't see it, the new shuffle feature on a playlist only shuffles by SONG, not ALBUM. This means that a playlist of mine for "genre=Classical" will play songs, or movements of pieces, in random order. I get the second movement of Beethoven Symphony No. 7, then the fourth movement of a Shumann work, then a part out of Swan Lake, then.....

You see the problem, I hope! Could you enhance this to allow "Random Shuffle" by SONG or ALBUM?

Thanks,
Bob

Peter
04-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi Bob,
thanks for the suggestion, we currently only support shuffle by song but we could add shuffle by album for a future version of Mezzmo.

Paul
04-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Another idea is related to gapless music playback. If you want your music tracks to stay together when shuffling music, then you can create a gapless multi-file. Select all the tracks from the album in Mezzmo and right-click on of the files sand click "Create Gapless Multi-File". This will let you combine all tracks into one multi-file, and Mezzmo will stream it as one music track. This way, your shuffle will keep tracks together.

rjcrum
05-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi, Paul,

I'm glad to know you will consider adding the "shuffle by album" in a future version. Your suggestion for creating a multi-file is interesting, but probably impractical for me. I have over 9000 music files, most of them classical, and it would be rather a chore to convert each 'album' into a multi-file!

Paul
05-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Understand, Bob. As mentioned, we'll consider your idea for a future version of Mezzmo.

rjcrum
02-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Hi, Paul,

I'm just wondering if the "shuffle by album" feature was ever added. I looked at the changelogs and didn't see anything mentioned. I'd still love the capability (as would others, I hope), so please don't give up on it!

Bob

Paul
02-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Sorry, Bob. We have not yet added shuffle by album. As a workaround, you could create an active playlist using ALBUM as the keyword and then sort the playlist by Random Shuffle. This create a playlist with sub-playlists under it for each album and the tracks for each album would be randomly sorted.

rjcrum
02-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Hi, Paul,

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't accomplish what I want. I want the random shuffle to be at the ALBUM level, with the tracks in the album played in the correct order. For me, in classical music, an "album" is a work; as in Beethoven Symphony #7. If I had a classical shuffle by ALBUM, it might play Beethoven #6 (with tracks played #1 to #4 in order), then Rachmaninoff Symphony #2 (with tracks played in order).

I guess I'll have to wait until you can do that. I was also looking at the Asset uPNP DLNA server from the dbPoweramp people (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm) and it has that capability. It's a DLNA server that is exclusively focused on music, and they provide a lot of customization.

Thanks,
Bob

Paul
02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Understand now, Bob. I can see how it is useful. We'll add this idea to our development task list and consider it for a future version.

rjcrum
11-25-2019, 06:04 AM
HI,

It's now over five years later. Has a "shuffle by album" been added yet? I just downloaded the most recent version and don't see it as an obvious choice.

Thanks,
Bob

Peter
11-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Hi Bob,
unfortunately it has not been added yet as we have not had any other requests for this feature, it is still on our list of possible features to implement.

rjcrum
11-27-2019, 02:32 AM
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. It's sad, though. I'm trying to replicate, in software through DLNA, the functionality of a Turtle Beach Audiotron hardware device that I got 15 years ago in 2004.

So far, nothing (Plex, Mezzmo, Serviio, MediaMonkey, Twonky, Asset) is able to do this. The only one that comes close is Asset with the "Dynamic Browsing" capability, but you have to go through multiple non-obvious steps to get there.

Oh, well.
Bob

rjcrum
12-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Wow. I just discovered that the Asset UPnP server can do this! It was apparently staring me in the face for years and I never realized how to configure it. If you ever add the "album shuffle" option, just post here and I'll be notified.