PDA

View Full Version : Separate the library files for audio, video and photos

smitbret
10-26-2011, 09:03 AM
I generally let Mezzmo automatically handle the display names and thumbnails for my music files, but I like to customize the titles and thumbnails for my video files.

I often change the default label and artwork for each of my video files and the library updates almost instantly if I have only my video files in my Mezzmo library. However, adding my music files to the library creates a significant lag upon exiting the properties tab of any file that I change; occasionally, this can take as long as 30 seconds of watching the 'wait' symbol before the new thumbnail and label populate. It's not a huge problem if I'm only adding one or two files/changes, but if I have to add 10 or 20 then it can take a sighificant amount of time sitting and waiting for the library to rewrite itself.

I keep thinking that if it were only rewriting the video library, then this problem would be resolved.

Paul
10-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Normally it shouldn't take that long to update. Can you please confirm that you are using v2.4.5?

We'll need to look into why it's taking so long and fix that - waiting 30 seconds for such an operation is definitely too long. Is there anything specific you have to modify to get this long delay or is it any modification?

smitbret
10-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Normally it shouldn't take that long to update. Can you please confirm that you are using v2.4.5?

We'll need to look into why it's taking so long and fix that - waiting 30 seconds for such an operation is definitely too long. Is there anything specific you have to modify to get this long delay or is it any modification?

Yep I'm on v2.4.5.

It is definitely related to the size of the library. If I just load my movie folder, updates to the individual file properties are saved almost immediately. It will stay quick through all of my video library. When I start adding my music folders, though, it gradually slows down as I add more and more files/folders. The music/audio library is fairly large (about 500GB).

Paul
10-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Can you please click on the Library and then in the Properties it should show you how many files you have - please let me know. I have roughly 35,000 files in a test database here and updates to the items are instant (no delays on closing the Properties dialog).

smitbret
10-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Can you please click on the Library and then in the Properties it should show you how many files you have - please let me know. I have roughly 35,000 files in a test database here and updates to the items are instant (no delays on closing the Properties dialog).

Number of Files 32,326
Total Duration 218.8 Days
Total File Size 1700.13 GB
Music Files 31,138
Video Files 1,188
Total Playlists 53,396
Total Folders 20

I just renamed a video file and literally timed it with my stopwatch: 19.48 seconds from the moment I clicked "Ok"
I renamed a second video file and changed the artwork: 18:41 seconds from the moment I Clicked "Ok"
Changed the name of a 3rd video file, this time with the Media Server turned off: 18.43 seconds

So, I deleted the database (moved it actually) and then reloaded all of the video files, creating a new library/database. Now it is instantaneous when I click "OK".

I reloaded the old database. Compacted it (thus saving 827kb). And it's back to taking about 20 seconds to update the database.

The database is about 862,049kb

Paul
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Is the new database similar in size to the old one?

Perhaps try running Maintenance with the "Remove" option and see if that clean things up a bit.

If the new database is similar in size, but works well, would it be possible for you to upload the old database to www.megaupload.com or a similar site, so that we could check it here?

smitbret
10-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Is the new database similar in size to the old one?

Perhaps try running Maintenance with the "Remove" option and see if that clean things up a bit.

If the new database is similar in size, but works well, would it be possible for you to upload the old database to www.megaupload.com or a similar site, so that we could check it here?

No, the new one is much smaller since it is just the video files. It's when I add the audio files, that the new database becomes much larger and slows things down.

I will upload the db to megaupload as soon as I get a chance and then e-mail you. Thanks again, Dennis.

goldres
05-18-2012, 05:27 AM
I have been following this thread and I have the same problem.

here is my details

Number of Files 49,972
Total Duration 177.5 Days
Total File Size 1989.50GB
Music Files 29,780
Photo Files 16,031
Video Files 4,161
Total Playlists 42,409
Total Folders 9

I just selected one of my video files and literally timed it with my stopwatch: 3:18 minutes from the moment I clicked "Ok" until the cartwork change was effected in the library
I tried this again and the same time delay. It started out very fast but as I worked my way through my video library it just gets slower and slower and I am only about a quarter of the way through

any suggestions??

Gary

Paul
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
We have just released Mezzmo v2.6.1 and we have made some speed improvements, so please do try this new version. If no change, then please turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging). Restart Mezzmo and then repeat the steps you mention. When it finally completes after several minutes, exit Mezzmo and zip up the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com. We'll see if we can determine the speed issue from the logs.

goldres
05-19-2012, 12:36 AM
We have just released Mezzmo v2.6.1 and we have made some speed improvements, so please do try this new version. If no change, then please turn on logging in Mezzmo (see http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging). Restart Mezzmo and then repeat the steps you mention. When it finally completes after several minutes, exit Mezzmo and zip up the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com. We'll see if we can determine the speed issue from the logs.

Thanks I will try this and let you know. Just a quick one - will I lose all the work already done or will it upgrade the system and then read the database

Hashybot
05-19-2012, 12:41 AM
You wont lose the database, if you have already converted the database from 2.5 to 2.6 (which needs to rebuild because of the new database system) but I can tell you I did upgrade from 2.6 to 2.6.1 and it didn't need to redo the data base again.

Hope that helps. :)

goldres
05-19-2012, 12:46 AM
I am currently on 2.5.0 and so will be going straight to 2.6.1 so do you think all will be Ok then of is there something I should do first

Hashybot
05-19-2012, 01:11 AM
It will be fine, you wont lose the database, but what mine did was convert the database which does take a little time but not as long as it normally does it you were building it from scratch with 2.5.0.
2.6 onward uses a newer database system, I worked this out when I tried to go back to 2.5 from 2.6 and it gave me a message to say that 2.5 couldn't use the 2.6 database. Im currently running 2.6.1 without any issues with my WDTV Live Hub.
Remember to give it a little time to convert the database and everything will be fine after that.

As a side note, my database is made of 12,018 files, which took about an hour or so to convert to the 2.6 database system. I do however use folder.jpg files in all of my folders which does cut down the time because Mezzmo doesn't need to continually grab snapshots.

I hope this helps you.

goldres
05-19-2012, 05:21 AM
Hi Paul

I have just upgraded to 2.6.1 and the problem still exists. I have sent the log files to the address you gave me. Please can you let me know how to fix the problem

Many thanks

Paul
05-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks. We'll analyze the logs and respond shortly.

sultan
06-17-2012, 05:53 PM
With Mezzmo 2.6.3 I have the same issues. Since I bought a network music player and put my music collection under Mezzmos control, mezzmo became much slower - if I change a property of a video file, it takes somtimes minutes until Mezzmo responds to events again. Maintaining the whole library took over 12 hours.

Library data:
Number of files: 28.014
Total File Size: 4770,01 GB
Music Files: 17.283
Photo Files: 4.738
Video Files: 5.993
Total Playlists: 23.369 (these must be mainly the playlists stored along with the music files)
Total Folders: 29

Paul
06-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the information. We are currently looking in to this & will provide an update for all users when it has been fixed.

Paul
07-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Just an update - Mezzmo v2.6.4 has been released and it contains speed improvements when maintaining your Mezzmo library.