PDA

View Full Version : Restrict viewing to a folder and subfolder

MarkH
11-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I am thinking about getting another media player for the children and want restrict viewing to a specific folder and its subfolders - is that possible? If so, how?

Many thanks,

Mark

Paul
11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Yes, you can right-click on the folder in Mezzmo and use the permissions dialog to restrict certain devices access.

MarkH
11-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Excellent.

Thanks, Mark

KevinA
01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Dennis

Can you confirm that this is only for Playlists and cannot be applied to folders. the "Playlist Sharing permissions" option is greyed out when I right click on a folder.

Paul
01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
It should work if you click on the root of the folder.

Please keep in mind that this is not file-based, it's playlist/folder based, so if you have a smart/active playlist elsewhere it may/will show the files from those playlists/folders.

KevinA
01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks Dennis

Yep - works well at the root level. Any chance of getting this applied at a specific sub folder level?

Paul
01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
No, sorry, but it won't be applied for sub-folders because they are actually loaded dynamically in real-time, so Mezzmo wouldn't know which subfolder you wanted to protect (short of storing the actual folder path, but going this route will slow down the server considerably, which is something we don't want to do). One work-around for you could be if you'd create a shortcut to that subfolder in Windows Explorer, then add that as a root folder to Mezzmo and protect that.

KevinA
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Understand that

For me all folders are well structured and the restricted folder would still appear in a folder playlist. Will have to look at moving the location of the folder to another location on the HDD then can add that to a sperate playlist that can be protected at the root level.

Don't want to loose the ability to dynamically load the files/folders