PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation vs. PlayStation (Compatible)

fletch
11-18-2011, 04:24 PM
What's the difference?

I've been able to play videos on the PlayStation but none of the photos are listed.

Paul
11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
They are the same as far as photos are concerned, so they should come up on your PS3 regardless of which one you use. Can you please confirm that you are in the Photo mode on the XMB?

fletch
11-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Well duh, of course not, I was in Video mode. Hadn't used it that much and the presence of the photo folder fooled me.

So under what conditions might one choose 'regular' over 'compatible'?

smitbret
11-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Well duh, of course not, I was in Video mode. Hadn't used it that much and the presence of the photo folder fooled me.

So under what conditions might one choose 'regular' over 'compatible'?

Wow! Why would that response elicit a "Duh" statement? Is Dennis supposed to be omniscient enough to just know that you weren't in Photo mode? I dare say that just about anybody else would have asked the same question. You'll probably get better support with common courtesy.

That being said, only related file types will be displayed in the different XMB modes, i.e. only images will show up in Photos, only audio files in Music and only video files in Video. I have several music folders with the related music videos in them. Then, when I browse to the album folder I get only the songs in Music mode and only the Music Videos in Music mode.

The different profiles are just for video transcoding options. I believe that 'Compatible' will guarantee ultimate compatibility but will also transcode files that would probably be natively supported by the PS3. I only use a tweaked 'Regular' profile, so I wouldn't be able to give specifics.

fletch
11-19-2011, 01:20 PM
I think you misread my reply. The duh was directed at me. Dennis asked was I in Photo mode, knowing right away that if I wasn't that would explain my problem. When I read that, I remembered that the XMB had Photo and Video modes displayed separately. Duh, had I paid a little more attention to what I was doing, I could have avoided bothering anyone. Until I installed Mezzmo, I really hadn't used my PlayStation much to view videos/pictures.

smitbret
11-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I think you misread my reply. The duh was directed at me. Dennis asked was I in Photo mode, knowing right away that if I wasn't that would explain my problem. When I read that, I remembered that the XMB had Photo and Video modes displayed separately. Duh, had I paid a little more attention to what I was doing, I could have avoided bothering anyone. Until I installed Mezzmo, I really hadn't used my PlayStation much to view videos/pictures.

My apologies for misreading that. Glad you got it figured out.

Paul
11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Regarding "regular" vs "compatible" - it basically depends on your files. If you are seeing that too many files are being transcoded when they shouldn't (mostly MP4s) or you're getting playback errors, try another profile. If things work as they are, then there's no need to change the device profile.