PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Chaptering for Samsung C causes blue screens

BeFi
12-05-2011, 01:29 AM
I have used the auto-chaptering profile for my Samsung UE40C8790 LED TV with Mezzmo 2.4.5 and the chaptering function is working flawlessly on my Samsung C TV – if streaming doesn’t cause a blue screen on my server that is.

I suffered and still suffer from blue screens upon starting to stream videos from my Samsung C every time I reboot my PC. I have three TV's connected to Mezzmo (the Samsung C, a brand-new Samsung D and a Philips 9000). The bluescreens only occur when streaming to the Samsung C!

I suspected that the recent changes to the Samsung C-profile adding auto-chaptering are the culprit. I therefore swapped the current Samsung C profile in Mezzmo 2.4.5 against one BEFORE the chaptering changes (accidentially had one saved from late August) - and presto: bluescreens gone.

Funny thing is that it isn't entirely reproducible. It seems to 'settle in' if I first stream to one of the other two TVs or if I run maintainance of the Mezzmo library. Thereafter even the Samsung C streams stable for days and even weeks - until I reboot my PC.

If I can help testing beta versions of the Samsung C profile please let me know.

Best regards
Bernhard Fischer

Paul
12-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Excellent information, Bernhard. Thank you for this error report. We would definitely like to see a set of logs when Mezzmo media server crashes. Please enable logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then reproduce the crash you mention. Once it crashes, zip up the logs and send them to us at support [at] conceiva [dot] com.

Teejoo
12-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I am a new user and have installed the trial version on mij Win 7 server to stream to my Samsung UE26D6530. Mij server has always been very stable, zero crashes. After installing Mezzmo it has crashed several times the last week. One thing that helped a lot was delaying the startup from the Mezzmo media server service. But sometimes it still crashes. I also have the idea that the scheduled librairy update isn't working. Manual works fine. It's a pitty because it works great otherwise.

The only other installed programs are Logitech media server and iTunes (for my Squeezebox). I disabled PS3 mediaserver.

Not sure this is related to this post?

Paul
12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Not sure this is related to this post?

That's OK. Did you check for any error messages in Event Viewer?

If you can isolate the problem a little further and capture a set of Mezzmo logs, then that will help us we investigate what is going wrong on your Win 7 server. When you are ready to capture a set of logs, please enable logging (see this thread: http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/419-FAQ-How-to-turn-on-diagnostic-logging) then reproduce the problem. After it fails, stop the Mezzmo server and send in all the logs. We'll investigate it further for you.

BeFi
12-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Hi Paul,

I will restore the 2.4.5 Samsung-C profile over the coming weekend and provide you with logs that show streaming from Samsung C causing the blue screen. Please be patient.

BeFi
12-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi Paul,

I attach the zipped logfiles: Here is the sequence of actions I took

I reverted back to the 2.4.5 SamsungLA profile, activated logging and restarted Mezzmo Media Server and UI. Then I started streaming a video from my Samsung C. No problem so far.
Then rebooted my PC. Started to stream the same video. Immediate BSOD - as predicted.

One Remark - may be a misinterpretation:
When zipping the logfiles I got the suspicion that I have two Mezzmo Media servers running. Same suspicion arose when looking at the last change dates in the latest logs. Take a look.

Best regards
Bernhard

Paul
12-09-2011, 08:50 AM
The first issue to be aware of is that you have multiple copies of the "Samsung C" device profile, but the stock one is used - I'm not sure whether that's intended, but the following two are not used:

C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles\Sams ungLA_alt_aber_stabil.prf
C:\ProgramData\Conceiva\Mezzmo\DeviceProfiles\Sams ungLA_geht.prf

If you wish to keep copies of device profiles, please change their extension or move them to a different folder.

I'm not sure that the problem is caused by auto-chaptering, as none of the logs show that the device is actually requesting chaptering information from Mezzmo. Perhaps those logs are from another server?

There is one problem in those logs though - Mezzmo cannot access your network interface properly, at least initially. Can you please tell me more about your system? What OS are you running? Is this a real or a virtual machine? What network card(s) do you have? Basically, I think that's the problem - accessing a network card is accessing hardware and in most cases BSOD are caused by hardware-related issues.

BeFi
12-18-2011, 07:39 AM
I followed your recommendation to check the network hardware issues and installed a separate PCI-E Giga-LAN card. That seem to have solved the BSOD issues for me. So the culprit seem to have been the onboard LAN chip on my ASUS P5Q mobo. I deactivated the onboard LAN chip. It is either degrading or has an interrupt issue.

This onboard LAN seems to have bogged me with various symptoms occasionally all through the last months.

What is still striking and would be good to understand is why no other application except Mezzmo had that effect on the network interface that causes BSOD's. Also why only for the Samsung C. my other two streaming devices (Samsung D and Philips 7000) worked fine.

Anyway - many Thanks for your repeat help. Keep thumbs pressed that I am over these issues now.

Best regards
Bernhard

Paul
12-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm glad it's working properly now - faulty hardware can sometimes cause bizzare issues that are hard to track down.

I can't really say why it was faulting only in those exact circumstances, but perhaps Mezzmo's server code was causing the card's logic to hit the faulty part, while other servers didn't exercise that. Also, serving to devices is different - one may be requesting data in one manner and another in another, so again, it may hit some parts of the code not touched by another device.