PDA

View Full Version : Only one connection

julio
01-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi, I´m able o download software but the "splits per file" showns only 1 connection, even though the default with five connections is choosen. I´ve change to four, three connections but the DonwloadStudio stills downloads with only one connection. What is happenning?

Thank you,
Julio Cesar

Brent
01-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Some web servers do not allow files to be requested from midway through the file (range requests). When you are downloading a file from a server such as this the file will be downloaded using only one split.

If you PM me the link you are trying to download I will take a look to see if the server supports multi-split downloads.

Also sometimes if you are accessing the internet through a proxy server it may be possible that your proxy server does not support this functionality.

The final reason multiple splits may not be started is if the file you are downloading is small, DownloadStudio may select a more optimal number of splits to use.

julio
01-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, I´m trying to download any of the free preview of this url:

http://cetus.stanford.edu/previewList.aspx

Thank you,
JC

Brent
01-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the url, I have taken a look at the web site. The reason why only one connection is allowed is that the video files are being served by a streaming media server.

Download managers cannot download these audio and video streams in the conventional way and Internet browsers and Windows media player cannot save these files to disk.

The DownloadStudio engine can download these files by streaming the content into a file. However as you have discovered only one split can be used for the download. Also it is not possible for DownloadStudio to resume a stopped download from a streaming media server.

By the way, here is the url I tried.

http://lang.stanford.edu/courses/aa240b/070109/070109-aa240b-300.wmv

If you open the add job dialog in DownloadStudio, then paste this url in, and click Check Url, it will tell you the mime-type is "video/x-ms-wvx". This mime-type from the server tells us that it is a streaming window media file.

julio
01-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Thank you. Do you wanna hear a funny thing? I´ve download first, by accident, version 3.X of DownloadStudio and he splited the download in several files! Can you test this for me (with the version 3, because I don´t have it anymore)?

Thank you,
Julio Cesar

Brent
01-26-2008, 08:28 AM
I tested with the URL I included in my last post. In DownloadStudio Version 3.x this URL can not be downloaded at all. We added more complete support for streaming media files in 4.0.

Possibly when you downloaded files in DownloadStudio Version 3, the files were just normal data files on a server, not streaming media files. If you have the URL of a file that you think was able to be downloaded using splits in DownloadStudio 3, that now will not download using splits please let me know and I will test it out.

Thanks.