PDA

View Full Version : Ready to take The Plunge to Mezzmo and a NAS – Synology?

dcf_oc
01-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Want to stream via DNLA and need a fresh approach. SO frustrated with the Sony and Panasonic Blu-Ray DNLA limitations.

So what would my ideal setup be to stream to these wireless BD Players? Would like to stay in the realm as opposed to going with a true media player

Options:
1. I have a powerful i7 pc with 24gb of ram that I can load up with 4tb of 7,200rpm drives. It would serve as our main house PC and the media server running Mezzmo
2. Newest Synology 2-bay device with 4tb. Can Mezzmo run on this or any other NAS device?

If the processing needs to be done on the PC then I think that the storage should be there as well – wouldn’t the direct SATA be much faster than the 1g network? Or does it even matter – or should I save money and go with a cheaper NAS?

Really looking for some good options here!

Thanks

Paul
01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Mezzmo only run on Windows-based PCs (and Linux/MAC using emulators), so no, it cannot run directly from the NAS.

I'd recommend installing it on your PC and having the drives local, as it does make a difference actually - it'll cause less network congestion at least.

dcf_oc
01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks - that's what I was thinking

Will the Mezzmo work well with my pana DMP-BDT215P/210 and my Sony BDP-S570?

Any thoughts of how to configure my drives? I will backup to a usb.

1. raid / striped? what number?
2. c: and d: with content on each

I will have 2 - 2tb drives 7200 rpm 64mb cache drives

Thanks again

Paul
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Yes, Mezzmo should work fine with your BDPs.

Drive configuration depends on what you ultimately want to achieve - data safety, single volume and/or access speed. Certain RAIDs will slow access a little bit, but it shold not be a big issue.

dcf_oc
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks again for your quick reply -- safety is not that important as I will be backing up to a usb hd regularly.

Speed and Single volume are important to me -- are they important to Mezzmo or does it not care if 1/2 volumes

I am thinking Raid 0 will be fast + give me a single volume

Paul
01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
It doesn't matter to Mezzmo whichever way you go (one or two volumes), since you'll just add files/folders from one or two drives.