PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre Question

Andydo
01-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi,
I'm using Mezzmo to stream (very successfully) to my series 5 samsung tv but since this only gives stereo audio (and apparently this set only decodes to stereo on the optical out for non-terrestrial signals) I'm about to buy an onkyo home theatre package. I will then stream to my Phillips BD player (DNLA certified) which will feed the A/V receiver but this is where I'm uncertain - does the Mezzmo stream carry full surround sound audio and should my BD player then decode this audio for passing to the receiver? Any suggestions or comments greatfully received.
Andy

Paul
01-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Andy,

It'll depend on the files and the device profile used for the Philips. Can you please tell me the exact model of what you're planning to buy and I can check what would be the best profile to use. If the files are sent natively, then the device should decode and pass through the audio stream correctly. If Mezzmo will need to transcode the files, then it depends on the output format.

Andydo
01-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Dennis, the blue ray player I have is a philips BDP5200/05 which will (hopefully) be hdmi'd to an onkyo HT-S5405. when/if I buy it. I've been using the 'Philips HT' profile which seems to work ok for the BD player but without the A/v receiver on the end of it I've no way of knowing what audio stream it is passing.
Andy

Paul
02-01-2012, 09:06 AM
I've checked the manual for the device and it says that it supports AVI (DivX), MKV, MP4 and WMV. It doesn't give any technical details, but I suppose most files should play natively then and hopefully 5.1 audio is supported as well.

Andydo
02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks Dennis, I found last night that when streaming to the Philips and selecting it's audio menu it showed up as 5.1!!! Onkyo here I come. Thanks for your replies.
Andy