PDA

View Full Version : Bad Device (Samsung BD-5700) or something else

mark11
02-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I need some help in trying to determine the root cause of pauses/resumes in Mezzmo streamed video to a Samsung BD 5700 BDP. As in, I steam a movie, every few minutes, it pauses to catch up it seems. The player even flashes a 'loading' banner during the pause. I have reinstalled, cycled power, etc... I even rolled back to 2.45.

The odd thing.. I have an older Samsung c6500 BDP (not the 3d one). It streams flawlessly. Also, I have a network monitor on my pc. The devices stream differently. The c6500 streams at a nice and smooth rate. The d5700 does not stream smoothly. Network activity is spikey, like the it is in a burst mode of some sort. You see it in the attached image.

Should I try to replace the device? Or is something else going on here?

Paul
02-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Are they both on the same network (e.g. wireless)? Is it a G or an N connection, if it's wireless?

Which device profile are you using for it - try "Samsung BDP", "Samsung BDP 3D" and "Samsung D" and see if any of those make a difference for the better.

Also, when streaming, check the transcoding pane in Mezzmo and see if the file is being transcoded or streamed natively.

mark11
02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the reply Dennis.

I ultimately tracked it down to the Handbrake MKV AAC issue. I batch re-encoded all my files aac to ac3 ffmpeg and all issue went away. I also came accros some files that had two audio steams encoded. Once I re-encoded with only one, that helped. Oddly enough, the issue never came up on my BD-C6500.

Paul
02-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, Handbrake has been known to break :) things in the past. I'm glad you've sorted it out. A different model of the BDP may have a different built-in (firmware) player, thus decodes files differently.